Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

3 days later I held a door open for her, she walked through without saying a word.

"Oh THANK YOU" !!!! I said to her sarcastically

"RESPECT YOUR ELDERS"!!!!!! She shouted back in my face.

As I say - SILLY COW !

Same thing happened to me, and the response I had was "YOU'LL BE OLD YOURSELF ONE DAY!"

and my reply was "Yes I hope I will, and I also hope I won't have lost my manners"

....................sour face, but no verbal reply.

Same thing happened to me, and the response I had was "YOU'LL BE OLD YOURSELF ONE DAY!"

and my reply was "Yes I hope I will, and I also hope I won't have lost my manners"

....................sour face, but no verbal reply.

This reminded me of a story my husband told me several years ago. He's of a vintage where good manners were expected at all times in both your professional life as well as private. With this in mind, one day he tried holding the door open for a 20-something year old professional woman. I picture her with a shiny, new degree in her hand where the ink on the dean's signature isn't even dry.:p After his gallant gesture, he was promptly deflated as she tore a strip off him and told him in no uncertain terms that she was a modern woman and perfectly able to open her own doors. So much for chivalry. At least he tried. :rolleyes:

On our last cruise my DH was chastised by a woman in the DR. One of those "respect your elders" comments. She then went on and said that perhaps when he is in HIS 50's he'd understand -- I laughed out loud and had to quickly explain that we were on this cruise to celebrate his 60th birthday!

This reminded me of a story my husband told me several years ago. He's of a vintage where good manners were expected at all times in both your professional life as well as private. With this in mind, one day he tried holding the door open for a 20-something year old professional woman. I picture her with a shiny, new degree in her hand where the ink on the dean's signature isn't even dry.:p After his gallant gesture, he was promptly deflated as she tore a strip off him and told him in no uncertain terms that she was a modern woman and perfectly able to open her own doors. So much for chivalry. At least he tried. :rolleyes:

That's why there's a difference between a "woman" and a "lady" and a "man" and a "gentleman". She was no lady and your DH is definitely a gentleman. Hopefully she eventually learned that women's lib has nothing to do with manners.

The cruiselines basically "force" people to sit at dinner with other individuals whom they may not know.

I'm not sure that people should be forced to carry on conversations with others seated at the table.

I do think that introductions are fine..but if a couple want to talk between themselves and not engage in a full table conversation they should be allowed to do so and not be considered "snobs" or otherwise. As long as they greet others at the table, once they are seated if they want time to themselves they should be able to have it without being criticized.

Just because you are seated at the same table does not require that you have to entertain your tablemates. Doesn't mean they are snobs or that they don't like you it just means that they would like to talk and visit with each other and not a bunch of strangers.

And not everyone can get a table for two..so pax that don't necessarily want to sit with others are forced to , unless they do MTD and request tables for two..or they can eat in one of the specialties.

Edited by Bakincakes

Huh?:confused: We found the rudest people on our one and only HAL cruise and they were all older. We are in our 40's and were by far among the youngest onboard. We had a miserable time onboard because of all the rude and nasty old people. We couldn't wait to get off the ship on port days! You couldn't pay us to sail on HAL again, at least not for another 30-40 years!:eek:

Strange, we found HAL passengers to be polite and exceptionally well-mannered. The crew was gracious and professional. Perhaps your prejudiced attitude towards older and HAL passengers, precipitated your experience!

Carnival might fit your needs a bit better.

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

It appears to me that many of these people you mention were not "Cruise Snobs", they were simply "age" bigots, and they seemed to be discriminating against young passengers. No matter how someone discriminates, age, gender, race, religion, disability, or country of origin, it's wrong. People like that should simply be ignored, their opinions aren't even worth listening to. Next time someone says something rude to you, (the person who told you to "shut up"), simply smile and say, "have a nice day." and walk away. I promise you you'll feel so much better if you do.

The cruiselines basically "force" people to sit at dinner with other individuals whom they may not know.

I'm not sure that people should be forced to carry on conversations with others seated at the table.

I do think that introductions are fine..but if a couple want to talk between themselves and not engage in a full table conversation they should be allowed to do so and not be considered "snobs" or otherwise. As long as they greet others at the table, once they are seated if they want time to themselves they should be able to have it without being criticized.

Just because you are seated at the same table does not require that you have to entertain your tablemates. Doesn't mean they are snobs or that they don't like you it just means that they would like to talk and visit with each other and not a bunch of strangers.

And not everyone can get a table for two..so pax that don't necessarily want to sit with others are forced to , unless they do MTD and request tables for two..or they can eat in one of the specialties.

I so agree with your post! DH and myself prefer a table for two, but so far have been lucky to have the request granted. If it wasn't it would affect our dining experience. DH is shy, and I am a psychologist (Which gets odd reactions from people sometimes), and DH is not comfortable talking with others for hours over dinner all week, and I spend most of my time in my career talking to people about their problems, so I want to enjoy time with my DH while on a cruise. We have a good time, and we enjoy meeting people, but dining time is special to us. We prefer to spend it alone.

We prefer to sit a deux because cruises are our chance to get away--not to ignore people--and if we can't, then we'll probably just go to the WJ or have room service or whatever. It's not that we don't like other people, but we just enjoy our alone time, and I personally think it would be horribly rude for us to sit at a table with other people and just ignore them. Although we clearly are in the minority, I know many people enjoy cruising so much because of the large tables and the chance to meet new people. If you go on a cruise, you most likely know that's the norm, and if you don't want to be around other people, you have options.

I am always very polite to rude people anywhere i go. My Mom taught me how to do this, and it frequently makes me smile when the rude person ends up stuttering and feeling a little embarrassed and awkward for not getting a rise out of me! Okay sometimes they just remain rude, but i have no worries, just move on...

having some experience with group travel that seemed to always include the older crowd (I am 51 now no spring chicken), I have noticed that elderly people are a bit like small children sometimes. they are over tired from travel, out of there element, a little cranky, and need a nap!:D

I am always very polite to rude people anywhere i go. My Mom taught me how to do this, and it frequently makes me smile when the rude person ends up stuttering and feeling a little embarrassed and awkward for not getting a rise out of me! Okay sometimes they just remain rude, but i have no worries, just move on...

So true, not on a cruise, but my daughter had a girl during elementary school that constantly teased and provoked her. When my daughter came home one day and said this girl had ridiculed her art project I told her the next time it happens, tell her 'Thank you!'. She didn't believe me but tried. That night she came home with a totally different story. The girl was speechless and left her alone for the rest of the class. The 'bully' did keep after my daughter in other ways but she kept using this tactic on her. After a few weeks, she stopped. They were in school together for a number of years afterwards. The girl continued to be a 'bully' but left my daugher alone from that day on. Sometimes it is better to just be super sweet, it often leaves then speechless :eek:.

I've found just as many *younger* people being rude, as our older generation ...if not more. Obnoxious, arrogant, clueless.....stoopid comes in all ages, and for folks to single out the elderly is just plain wrong.

My opinion.

Bravo,Bravo.Not only wrong but rude also.(As you can see I started sentences with capital letters and made them to words so I would not be rude to the gentleman from Ohio)

:cj

I've also seen people waddling from the buffet with 3 plates lined up each arm and negotiating the traffic expertly on the way to their feeding trough. .......Balancing acts like that need to be on America's Got Talent.

You might have seen me doing that. One dish for me and one for my sister waiting at our table so no one would remove our drinks and sit down at it as has happen in the past. And, probably the third dish was for an elderly couple sitting next to us who wanted to taste something else from the buffet line but just didn't feel like standing in that long line with their walkers. So I offered to help them out by getting it for them.

And I wasn't waddling :p .

Edited by lady_cruiser

Bravo,Bravo.Not only wrong but rude also.(As you can see I started sentences with capital letters and made them to words so I would not be rude to the gentleman from Ohio)

Absolutely true!

we all need to spread kindness around a bit more.:)

I have no idea why they had breakfast in the MDR, maybe they were hungry. I just do not think they were rude because they chose not to speak during breakfast. They should have been allowed to have their meal and leave when they wanted to. The polite thing would have been to offer to let them out if they were done.

So true.They may have been using the MDR because the Windjammer can be over crowded at times

well, I am reading this thread and getting anxious as I have never encountered this kind of rudeness on a cruise. In one month I will be on FOS and my first RCI cruise. I am shuddering to think my temper may very well get the better of me if I encounter this kind of rudeness...especially if someone is rude enough to say "shut up" that would trigger me like the fuse on a stick of dynamite. I am in my 40's but look a bit younger thanks to good genetics. I hope I do not encounter these issues.

However, I am fascinated with the stories. Keep them coming.:p

I wouldn't worry about the FOS because we met the nicest people on that ship during our first and second cruises. Two women we met on the FOS were Diamond+ members and we had the best time visiting with them and hearing about past cruises :p Be sure to check out the Flowrider, you are gonna LOVE that :D

It's interesting to see whom people have encountered and found rude. I'm in my 30s and know I'm cranky when I don't feel good. Frankly, after seeing what happened with my grandparents, I don't look forward to getting old. They were not happy people as they aged. They tried, but a lot of days, even on vacation, things just got to them more easily. Not that old age excuses things, but I try to think of it as what if those people were my parents or grandparents. Sometimes they don't realize they're being rude. Sometimes they're just tired and want it just to get better or easier. Some people have just been enabled by their families and expect to get the same treatment by everyone else. I just try to think about the fact that I'm lucky not to walk with a cane or use a scooter or have to yell because I don't know any better. They have things a lot harder than I do. I'm not perfect and have my days, but you'll find people with "stuff" everywhere.

Some people yell as part of hearing loss

She clearly thought he was being rude when in fact she was the one being rude.Just goes to show................................

There's this woman, catlady27. She's a snob because all she ever does is cruise in suites and doesn't share her stocked bar with other cruisers! :mad:

Plus, she hogs the suite for herself, even though she knows she'll never be in her stateroom since she's always on the FloRider.

Not nice! :mad:

One time I was standing in line at the photo gallery and it turned out that the man next to me had the same last name - Crow. My dad heard the conversation and said as a joke, "Caw Caw!". The guy turned around and said really sarcastically, "Yeah, I've never heard THAT before." I know my dad can be corny but that was really rude. And he wasn't old, by the way. :)

There's this woman, catlady27. She's a snob because all she ever does is cruise in suites and doesn't share her stocked bar with other cruisers! :mad:

Plus, she hogs the suite for herself, even though she knows she'll never be in her stateroom since she's always on the FloRider.

Not nice! :mad:

Doesn't share her stocked bar:(.How rude:(

but I've seen the same sense of entitlement from some rude younger passengers also.I find these threads silly.Are some peoples lives so empty they have to dwell on attacking older citizens?Sure most younger people are nice on our last cruise there was nice young couple we stopped to chat with every time we saw them on the ship.99% of all ages are great on any sailing

Agree, rudeness knows no age. Those who are rude when they are young are rude when they get older. I don't know why older folks are being singled out here.

I will talk to people when I travel. Thats one of the reasons I travel. I dont travel to ignore others. I travel to talk with others. I am used to staying at Hostels. I do wonder sometimes how its going to be cruising. As far as telling life stories. I love to hear them but only if people want to share. Honestly if people are at a large table I do think that they want to be around others and not by themselves. I am probly wrong in that but thats my first assumption imo.

Adri :)

having some experience with group travel that seemed to always include the older crowd (I am 51 now no spring chicken), I have noticed that elderly people are a bit like small children sometimes. they are over tired from travel, out of there element, a little cranky, and need a nap!:D

This is completely off topic. :D Hello Nanaimobound. It took me a minute to figure out your screen name. I have a daughter near you on Gabriola Island. We were just out there last fall. Small world.