2 days in BCN

abm3240

We will have 2 days in Barcelona pre-cruise. The first day we will be a bit jet lagged. What should we not miss?

We just returned from a 2 day post-cruise visit to Barcelona. We decided to do a half day tour with pepitotours when we first arrived. We had a wonderful guide who showed the old town, the Cathedral, the Gaudi structures including Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. Since you will be jet lagged, I would recommend looking into a tour like this. (There is a lot of walking in Barcelona). The second day we walked to the Picasso Museum (fascinating beautiful artwork), and walked Las Ramblas. That evening we went to a Flemanco Show called Tablao de Carmen. We opted for the Tapas package...it was fantastic!!

There is so much to see, you could just walk around and take in the culture. Las Ramblas, Gaudi structures are not to be missed.

Hope this helps!

Mindi

We found all the major Gaudi attractions accessible by train or cab for no more than 3-5 euros / leg. Between that and Las Ramblas and a show and try some Paella would be my suggestions.

We will have 2 days in Barcelona pre-cruise. The first day we will be a bit jet lagged. What should we not miss?

Just walk around La Rambla your first day to start. There are these "performance artists" all around the Rambla that are really fun to watch. If you feel OK, expand a bit up to the Cathedral. Then take the subway up to Sagrada Familia church. This is really not to be missed! Try to get there so you'll have daylight AND sunset - when the lights are turned on, it changes yet again. Hit up the Boqeria market before 3pm. If you feel like it, get one of the fresh fruit juices there (a good pick-me-up), and some munchies for your cruise. As for the paella - remember that paella is a Valencian dish, not a Catalan. You'll be getting tourista paella. Go for tapas and some sangria. If you feel perky enough your second day, do Park Guell and the Picasso house and the Picasso museum.

All this is probably enough for you do to do - more would wear you out!!

If you want some candy for your cruise - look for the "Happy Pills" store!!! Grab a bag and start going though their bins for mix & match candy. I kept the candy in my tote bag - when I felt the the need, I'd pull out a piece.

We spent two full day in Barcelona pre-cruise (plus the afternoon of our arrival, when of course we were exhausted). You can see a great deal in that time; it's very easy to get around the city on foot and by Metro.

Posters above have given very good advice. Subjectively for me, the "don't misses" include the Boqueria market along Las Ramblas, and Sagrada Familia (I recommend going up the towers in the Nativity Facade, as long as you are capable of walking down), as well as Gaudi's La Pedrera (don't miss the rooftop). And, of course, the obligatory walk down (or up) the entire Las Ramblas. (Do take precautions because of the pickpockets.)

On our second morning, we took a walking tour through the Barri Gotic led by a guide from the Tourist Information Office (see link below). That area of the city is a maze of narrow, twisty streets and buildings rich in history (including the Cathedral as well as the palace where Ferdinand and Isabella welcomed Columbus back from "the New World,"), and this was a great thing to do for a couple of hours with a guide.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-walking-tour.html

We also took a cable car from the Metro up to the castle on Montjuic; there are fantastic views of the city and the Mediterranean from up there, and we walked over to the Olympic Stadium as well.

One thing that we wanted to do but just didn't feel up to at night was to go back to Montjuic for the Magic Fountain.

Tapas, sangria, cava...:)

Have a great trip!

Doublemm(Mindy):

We are in BCN for the 4th time in Nov. for 2 nights pre-cruise. We are definitely going to book the flamenco show at Tablao del Carmen at Montjuic. Did you want until your arrival in BCN to book, or did you book on line? We also are interested in the tapas package instead of show only with one drink or the full dinner. How were the tapas, and did you have refills on the sangria or just one serving? I'd appreciate a few thoughts on your experience. Thanks so much!!

Mimi

Archived