Mt. Roberts Tramway/Glacier Combo

CruisingBunny

Can't find it again but I read a post where someone was talking about doing the Mt. Roberts Tramway and purchasing the combo ticket that also went to the Glacier. Is this the Mendenhall Glacier? Anyone know about how long it would take to do this? We have an excursion booked from 11:30am-1:45pm that day and just want to see if we would have time to work these in also before our ship leaves port at 7pm. Thanks for any tips!

I read that post as well and if I remember correctly the poster said at the Mt. Roberts tram, they bought tkts that will get you the tram ride up as well as the bus rt to Mendenhall glacier. $35??

The bus ride is about 20-30 minutes, give about an hour or two (depending if you plan to hike a bit). Don't buy tram ride if the weather is bad since you'll need good visability to see the gorgeous view.

I'm sure others will chime in.

I read that same post. I don't think the poster ever mentioned how long you can spend at the Mendenhall Glacier. Maybe it's unlimited. You just show your ticket for the return trip and then just go on to the Tram or visa versa.

Should have plenty of time. $35 sounds about right for the combo ticket.

If I remember, its around $19 just for the Mendenhall trip. About a two hour tour. 30 mins there, about an hour at the Glacier, then back.

I called the tramway yesterday with that same question. This is what I was told: The total cost of the combo ticket is $44.00. That entitles you to get on their tour bus and go to Mendenhall where you will have a total of 45 minutes and then you have to get back on the bus and they will drive you back into Juneau. You can ride the tram at any time during the day. She said they have two tours per day, but they don't schedule the tour times until either the day before or the day of the tour. Reading between the lines I assumed they did not schedule anything until they has a pretty full bus.

If you take the Might Great Trips (MGT) bus to the glacier it is $14.00 per person round trip. The cost of the tram ride itself is $27.00. That is $41.00 so I didn't see how the combo was a bargain.

I agree that doesn't sound like a good deal at all.Still have to decide if We will be happy just doing the Shuttle to Mendenhall and tramride.I guess that will leave us time for shopping as this will probably be the only port we set aside specific time to shop.End off the day with a nice Alaskan brew.Noy too shabby after all

Does anyone know how close the bus/shuttle gets you to Mendenhal glacier? I read somewhere that it will only get you about to about a mile from the glacier and you will have to walk rest of the way...we have someone in our group who can't walk along distances.

Thanks

Char

My understanding is that the city bus drops you off about a mile from the Visitor Center at Mendenhall. If you take the Mighty Great Trips bus it takes you right to the Visitor Center.

Should have plenty of time. $35 sounds about right for the combo ticket.

If I remember, its around $19 just for the Mendenhall trip. About a two hour tour. 30 mins there, about an hour at the Glacier, then back.

Oh, I didn't think it was an actual tour. I just thought if you buy the combo, you get a cheaper deal to do both. Figured that you simply use the ticket to hop on the blue bus and you're on your own, no time limits.

Anyway, another poster stated the price went up so it's not a good deal in any case.

We were in Juneau Mid May and tried to purchase the combo ticket from the Mt Roberts Tram ticket booth but were told that they weren't selling the combo ticket that day. I asked why and the ticket seller said something about "they want all the seats for themselves". I assume the combo ticket involves another tour operator who will only release seats for the combo ticket if seats are available. The cost was $35. and it would have been a savings. We ended up booking a 2 hour city/glacier tour from MGT at the dock and spent about 45 minutes at the glacier. Be careful with MGT receipts if you use a credit card, your entire credit card number shows up on the receipt.

Shuttle buses to the Mendenhall Glacier are plentyful...just buy your return ticket on any of these - they all leave for the cruise ship dock parking lot which is beside the base terminal to the Mt Roberts Aerial Tram.... I would go to the Glacier first and then when I got back from that if ther was still time and the weather clear I would pay to go up Mt Roberts. I have been to Juneau 3 times and am still waiting for a clear day to ride the Mt Roberts Tram. However I always go to see Mendenhall.

I received an email response from Mt. Roberts Tramway today verifying that the Tram/Glacier combo ticket price has indeed gone up to $44.00 and $24.00 for Children 2+. They said they "only offer a few tours a day for the Glacier, you would need to come into the tram right when you get into Juneau to check the times. The total time for the Glacier tour is one hour and forty-five minutes. You can take the tram anytime, we are open until 9pm".

Kind of disappointing to hear...we will take the blue bus RT and then hit the tram if it's clear when we go in August.

I received an email response from Mt. Roberts Tramway today verifying that the Tram/Glacier combo ticket price has indeed gone up to $44.00 and $24.00 for Children 2+. They said they "only offer a few tours a day for the Glacier, you would need to come into the tram right when you get into Juneau to check the times. The total time for the Glacier tour is one hour and forty-five minutes. You can take the tram anytime, we are open until 9pm".

Kind of disappointing to hear...we will take the blue bus RT and then hit the tram if it's clear when we go in August.

Has anyone been to the Rainforest Gardens/Glacier Gardens? We arrive in Juneau around noon and leave at 10pm. Do you think we would be able to do Mendenhall Glacier and Rainforest Gardens? If so, any ideas for transportation? Or is Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts Tramway a better idea? Any suggestions?

If you're only going to be at the Mendenhall Glacier for 45 minutes, you'll need to choose between walking around outside, or looking through the Visitor Center and watching their info movie. The movie is about 15-20 minutes long from what I remember. By the time we looked at everything in the Visitor center, we only have about 5 - 10 minutes outside. I would have spent more time outside walking around if I had known the movie was so long and our time there was so short.

All very good info, with the new rate increase in mind I think we'll take the Mendenhall glacier stop offered by Harv & Marv's whale watching excursions as they'll drop us off @ Mendenhall after our tour with them & then catch the bus back to town & then a trip up Mt Roberts. Their new $44 combo rate is not that great of a deal & I wonder how many will bite on it in these tough economic times.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to this combo ticket question. What is NOT clear, is, IF this is a TOUR, which is NOT the shuttle bus, then it may have more value, since there would be commentary and other points of interest.

This is also true of MGT. They run BOTH shuttle and TOUR buses to Mendenhall. VERY different bus options.

Has anyone been to the Rainforest Gardens/Glacier Gardens? We arrive in Juneau around noon and leave at 10pm. Do you think we would be able to do Mendenhall Glacier and Rainforest Gardens? If so, any ideas for transportation? Or is Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts Tramway a better idea? Any suggestions?[/quote

Absolutely................I always rent a car in Juneau (you really can't get lost) and I only rent from RentAWreck because it's the only one in town and they pick you up and return you. All others are way out at the airport and I learned my lesson well via a $26. cab fare back to the ship.

The Rainforest Gardens were just getting going when we went there (have not returned on further trips) and it was beautiful. Being from the Pacific NW, it really was nothing new to us but walking/riding in a rainforest is always beautiful and they have planted beautiful flowers, etc. People from "drier states" REALLY enjoyed it.

You can go to one of my favorite Museums as well, plus "hit" other areas. Nothing takes long.............the drive from the ship to the glacier is maybe 12 - 15 minutes at most and then you can visit the CHAPEL ON THE LAKE right nearby on the campus of the U of A.

Enjoy!!:)

[................I always rent a car in Juneau (you really can't get lost) and I only rent from RentAWreck because it's the only one in town and they pick you up and return you. ]

Sorry, not any more, no shuttle service. Their office is now located downtown, but not walkable for many. Would require a short cab ride.

Archived