up grade fairy

Dog Drool

How does the up grade fairy know who to visit? Do they up grade 5 people one category each or one person 5 category. Guarantee more likely of an upgrade then a room book? More days sailed Families or solos? pull from a hat?

My son & his friend have already been offered two upgrades, which they turned down. They like their cabin location & don't want to give it up. This will be their first cruise with HAL.

HAL offered us an upgrade (one category), but it was to a much smaller cabin. We turned it down too. (We only have one cruise with HAL so far.)

Personal opinion? I think upgrade fairy smiles on those who eat lots of chocolate!

well i don't know how true it is but holland america says that they upgrade by mariner status.

We were upgraded on our first 2 HAL cruises. The first cruise we were upgraded twice - first time from an SZ to an SS - then a second time from the SS to an SC. Our second cruise from an SC to an SB. We were offered an upsell on our third cruise and took it.

I know of a couple of people who have around 300 days on HAL -- they book guarantees. And have only been upgraded a couple of times. So it is not done by Mariner Status.

I agree - I think so much depends on the specifics of the cruise - the more popular the cruise or cruise date, the less likely the upgrade fairy will visit.

Just got off the Prinsendam a few weeks ago. This was my first HAL cruise and had a specific inside M cabin booked and when I checked in was told I got an outside D cabin upgrade. The whole experience was terrific and it started with the upgrade. 51 heavenly days.

I've seen nothing, at least nothing convincing, that would lead me think HAL upgrades based on Mariner status. My take is the lower category cabin guarantee you book the higher the chances of getting an upgrade. Some guarantees seem great and worth the chance. Others seem just plain silly....like an S guarantee on a ship with only one PH suite and it's showing it's booked. Like where in the world are they going to upgrade you to? We've never booked a guarantee since there's no cost incentive and playing "cabin lotto" and hoping you get upgraded doesn't appeal to us.

From what I've been told Mariner Status comes into play only after all other factors have been taken into account: i.e., needed categories for guaranty classifications, the categories of those already in specific cabins, amounts paid for those categories, length of time booked, etc. After those factors are all considered, Mariner Status may be used to help the Line make decisions between two or more otherwise equally-qualified guests.

Hence, someone like RuthC may never have been offered upgrades due to the nature of their booking, possible "DoNotUpgrade" notices, or even just the simple fact that her cabin category couldn't be used to lodge someone with a higher category guarantee (i.e., outside or AA or Suite).

At least, that's how it's been explained to me. Wether or not its true may remain one of the mysteries of the ages.

I cannot figure the upgrade thing out.

We have sailed Celebrity for years and never received an upgrade. We have sailed HAL longer, and have never failed to get an upgrade.

Its the old riddle-in-a-mystery thing.:) If I had to guess, I would go for the pulling them out of a hat.:eek:

Smooth sailing to you...

Less than a week to go and no cabin number yet. We got the bottom of the class SZ suite guarantee, and almost hope the upgrade fairy does not strike, unless she is feeling particularly generous because this oddly shaped deluxe verandah cabin looks pretty good on its own.

But I guess I am surprised we have not even been assigned a cabin number by this time. This time though I feel any deluxe verandah for our 7 day Inside Passage Alaska cruise will be just fine. Better than fine. I just want this week to be over and out the door to start this wonderful cruise on the Zuiderdam. Too bad I have to wait until the next morning for my first HAL croisssant. Crunch, crunch buttery, tender yummy.

I just returned from a 55 day Grand Med/Black Sea cruise and many passengers were upgraded and NOT ME. (BTW, we are 4 Stars). I contacted my TA (with whom we have booked about 50 cruises) and asked why?

She contacted her HAL representatives and this was the return email from HAL:

As described before the upgrades are due to a number of reasons – in no particular order because sometimes it is a combination of two or more reasons

1. Guarantees have priority on upgrades over people who select a specific stateroom assignment.

2. Mariner Status – number of sea days

3. Rate Paid – higher rate means more likely to be the one to be upgraded (single supplements are high consideration)

4. Availability of rooms for upgrades (don't forget "segment travelers" for Grand Cruises)

5. Date booked

The other major thing is what specific category they booked into vs what is available. Most years the Grand Voyages have very little in the way of upgrades available. The category booked is usually the category received. This year was a little unusual. Due the economic factors of this last year there were more people who booked into inside guarantees than usual. So that meant there were more staterooms that ended up being upgraded due to availability. The 2011 trend is already showing bookings going back to the normal pattern of people booking into more outside and verandah staterooms.

Hope this all helps to unravel the “mystery” of upgrades.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Business Development Services

Holland America Line

I just returned from a 55 day Grand Med/Black Sea cruise and many passengers were upgraded and NOT ME. (BTW, we are 4 Stars). I contacted my TA (with whom we have booked about 50 cruises) and asked why?

As described before the upgrades are due to a number of reasons – in no particular order because sometimes it is a combination of two or more reasons

1. Guarantees have priority on upgrades over people who select a specific stateroom assignment.

3. Rate Paid – higher rate means more likely to be the one to be upgraded (single supplements are high consideration)

4. Availability of rooms for upgrades (don't forget "segment travelers" for Grand Cruises)

5. Date booked

The other major thing is what specific category they booked into vs what is available. Most years the Grand Voyages have very little in the way of upgrades available. The category booked is usually the category received. This year was a little unusual. Due the economic factors of this last year there were more people who booked into inside guarantees than usual. So that meant there were more staterooms that ended up being upgraded due to availability. The 2011 trend is already showing bookings going back to the normal pattern of people booking into more outside and verandah staterooms.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Holland America Line

Most interesting ... that, more or less, confirms what I have been told on several occasions when I've asked about HAL's procedures for processing upgrades. It also reflects what I described, above.

Nevertheless, it does sometimes look/feel/seem like magic. :D

5. Date booked

Thanks,

Jennifer

Holland America Line

Thanks a bunch for educating all of us, Lois!:)

We always book a guarantee and usually well in advance which under this formula would put us in pretty good shape for an upgrade. This would account for our "luck" so far.

Too bad. Here I thought that it was the gods smiling on us.:):D;)

We always book a guarantee and usually well in advance which under this formula would put us in pretty good shape for an upgrade. This would account for our "luck" so far.

Too bad. Here I thought that it was the gods smiling on us.:):D;)

It doesn't always work this way. On my last cruise I should have gotten an upgrade based on this and I didn't. I think the problem on that cruise was that there was a pretty big group on board for the last 4 days and it totally changed the dynamic of the ship....and not in a good way:eek:.

It doesn't always work this way. On my last cruise I should have gotten an upgrade based on this and I didn't. I think the problem on that cruise was that there was a pretty big group on board for the last 4 days and it totally changed the dynamic of the ship....and not in a good way:eek:.

As it was explained to me the parameters (noted earlier) are loaded into a computer and you get what you get. A HAL rep once told me that if someone is unhappy with the resulting cabin (from a guarantee), it could be run again but that outcome would really be final.

The reservation computer seems to have a surprise in it for everyone. Perhaps it is a HAL 9000.:eek:

Smooth sailing to you...

slotl, thanks for sharing HAL's explanation of upgrades with us.

However, it totally messes up my previously held belief that they always upgrade me because they LIKE me better.;):D

Hi,

Several people here mentioned that they were offered upgrades and turned them down. When I spoke with my travel agent I was told that if I was upgraded Holland America would do it without consulting me and there was no going back. Because of this I was afraid I might get booked in an upgraded cabin that was basically the same cabin I was already in, only on a higher deck but maybe in a less desirable location. I was not willing to take that chance so I said no to an automatic upgrade. If people are being offered upgrades with the option to turn them down I would like to know how they are doing that? Because that is what I would like to do.

Thanks for your help,

Coney :)

Hi,

Several people here mentioned that they were offered upgrades and turned them down. When I spoke with my travel agent I was told that if I was upgraded Holland America would do it without consulting me and there was no going back. Because of this I was afraid I might get booked in an upgraded cabin that was basically the same cabin I was already in, only on a higher deck but maybe in a less desirable location. I was not willing to take that chance so I said no to an automatic upgrade. If people are being offered upgrades with the option to turn them down I would like to know how they are doing that? Because that is what I would like to do.

Thanks for your help,

Coney :)

If you book a guarantee, then you're pretty much stuck with what you're assigned. (Except as world~citizen noted, there have been some exceptions made in rare cases.) If you book a specific cabin you may be offered an upgrade that can be declined, because in most instances it is an upsell, not free.

Occasionally HAL will give out free upgrades without asking you as long as you did not specify Do Not Upgrade when you booked. Again, you are generally stuck with what they give you in that case.

Once when we picked a specific cabin and said we would accept an upgrade they moved us three cabins down the hall into the same class of cabin that we booked. The only thing I can figure is that the cabin we had chosen was a connecting one, and somebody else wanted it.

Archived