Just back from Silver Spirit Rome - Venice

trim2gofast

We returned home last night from a wonderful week on the Spirit. We sailed from Rome to Venice. It was our first sail with Silverseas, in the past we have always sailed on RCI as we have a sister who works for them and we get great deals. I loved the intimacy and simplicity of the smaller ship. You didn't have to walk a mile every time you wanted to go somewhere on the ship, yet there were options of places to eat, drink, hang out.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The food was wonderful and we loved the flexibility. We met wonderful people from all over the world.

The ports were all beautiful. What can you say about Venice?! What a beautiful city. I have never gotten so lost so many times in one day.

One of the best things we did prior to our trip was to go to the library and check out Rick Steves videos on Rome and Venice. Also check his website. His videos gave us the confidence that we could wonder around armed with a map and a lot of curiosity and not stress about getting lost or seeing it all. The funny thing was that although we didn't try, we ended up finding several of the places he showed in his video just by exploring. When totally lost, we pulled out the map and asked a local where we are on the map to get our bearings.

Also, no need to spend a lot of money before your trip on a map of each port. Before you disembark at a port, stop by the main desk and they will always have a good map for that specific port. They can show you places to visit and mark exactly where the ship is on the map. ....thanks Clive.....

There is so much to tell and I will try to post a trip report in the next few days. But after a week on SS, not sure if I could return to RCI.

We sail the mass-market ships here and there. We try to "luxe them up" but alas, we don't set our sights too high. We will be sailing Freedom of the Seas in August for a week, and know that it will be a different kind of fun!!

Host Dan

A few years ago, we sailed on the RCI Mariner of the Seas. My SIL got us bumped to an owners suite. It was really nice. Very spacious and accommodated my husband, myself and our two teens. We did get a better level of service and loved the suite. The kids liked it so much, that after dinner, they would go collect their friends and go back to our suite and order pizza's and watch movies.

I guess I am at that stage of life where I don't need to be wowed by entertainment as much as pampered.

I always like reading a report from a brand new SS cruiser...it brings back memories of my one and only (so far) SS cruise.

Glad to hear you had a good time trim2gofast. I met Clive on the Whisper and he was so nice & helpful. I hope that he will still be on the Spirit in October.

Can't wait to read your review.

Cheers

Jennifer

Archived