Should I worry about cruising on a ship about to be sold?

mowog

My wife and I are cruising the Mercury this November and read it will be sold to a German line shortly after our cruise (February). Is this a red flag? I guess we're concerned about deferred maintenance and overall condition of the ship. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

I doubt this will be an issue. I'm sure Celebrity cannot allow the ship to fall into disrepair when they are about to hand it over to a new owner.

Perhaps the crew might be a little less than compelled to do the best job possible. Are they losing their jobs? Moving to the new company? ????

My wife and I are cruising the Mercury this November and read it will be sold to a German line shortly after our cruise (February). Is this a red flag? I guess we're concerned about deferred maintenance and overall condition of the ship. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

In my opinion she should have been sold years ago.

john

I doubt this will be an issue. I'm sure Celebrity cannot allow the ship to fall into disrepair when they are about to hand it over to a new owner.

Perhaps the crew might be a little less than compelled to do the best job possible. Are they losing their jobs? Moving to the new company? ????

Celebrity has said crew will have jobs on othert Celebrity ships. There are always crew rotating off duty on other ships, plus there are newer and bigger ships coming out, so Celebrity will find places for Mercury's crew. If anything this might be the time for Mercury's crew members to work extra hard and to really shine in hopes of getting their perferred assignments.

I don't think Celebrity will let the ship's condition suffer.

We cruised on Celebritys Horizon & Zenith , both shortly before they were sold. Had cruised on both before and did not see any signs of diminished food or service. Both ships were a little tired but were clean and kept up, but of course were lacking many of the amenities of the newer hulls. They were like and old friend and we enjoyed them to the end. Bill

I would not be concerned. We were on the Mercury two months ago and she is in fantastic shape. By most accounts I have read, Celebrity has always done a great job of maintaining their ships right up until their last sailing.

The Mercury is a lovely ship, has been well maintained and she has legions of loyal fans. Celebrity has a standard to maintain whether the ship is being transferred another company or is brand new to the fleet. I would expect that there will be a lot of her fans booking one last voyage on her and the mood will be very festive. I don't think you will have to worry.

I agree the ship will probably have lots of her loyal cruisers aboard for her final cruises in "X" fleet. I wouldn't worry much their usual standard will not be met.

Archived