dress code for formal nights

denmonty5

This is our first Silversea cruise. We are going to Alaska in Sept on the Silver Shadow. Is formal attire strictly adhered to on formal nights....should I bring long dresses? Any suggestions or reflections on past cruises would be welcome & appreciated.

This is our first Silversea cruise. We are going to Alaska in Sept on the Silver Shadow. Is formal attire strictly adhered to on formal nights....should I bring long dresses? Any suggestions or reflections on past cruises would be welcome & appreciated.

We did Alaska on the Shadow last year. I did bring, and wear, two long dresses and I saw lots of others wearing them, too. That being said, it was NOT the majority. Lots of short cocktail dresses and pants with glitzy tops. Guys were maybe half in tuxes and half in dark suits.

Have fun! You will love Silversea!

I'm just back from Alaska on Shadow. Lovely experience -- the ship and crew are first rate -- you will have a great cruise.

Yes, formal nights are "formal" but that means for example black silk pants with beautiful tops, jackets, etc., for ladies. There were many long gowns that were simply beautiful, but if you prefer to pack light I'd advise the pants and different tops. I do not own a LONG GOWN, and am very comfortable in the wardrobe described.

For gentlemen, a dark suit with white shirt and tie perfectly acceptable, although there were many gentlemen in tux -- and they looked smashing!

I'm a veteran Silversea cruiser and and senior citizen, and it is important to me that dress codes be respected. Casual night -- I simply hate it when men arrive in the lovely dining room with short sleeve shirts. In my opinion, a jacket for dinner is common courtesy. OK, this is Alaska, but this is also Silversea, not a mass market cruise ship.

For what it's worth -- that's my experience.

Have a great trip -- and don't sweat the small stuff.

Formal nights are formal. For men, a dark suit and tie or tux is fine. Long dresses are fine, so are short cocktail dresses or pants with a sparkly top. Don't stress. I am sure whatever you bring will be fine.:) And, if you wear the same outfit 2X, who cares! No one really notices. Just relax and enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...

Denmonty, Are you on the Sept 3 Vancouver sailing? We are. And as I noted on the other post, I'm struggling with casual. Dresses (long and short) are ready but our 3 casual nites have me baffled. DH is planning on sport coat but no tie for casual (If I get cold, I get the coat :)) then add a tie for informal. He has a tux and it's just as easy to pack as a suit for formal.

Melissa

denmonty we took an Alaskan Cruise on the Silver Shadow last year and pasengers were in formal attire, with the exception of guests who were dining in La Terrazza who could wear casual elegant attire.

On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trousersuits for ladies; jacket, tie optional for gentlemen). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of our public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks.

Women dressed in either long evening gowns or fancy cocktail dresses and men wore either tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits.

Keith

denmonty we took an Alaskan Cruise on the Silver Shadow last year and pasengers were in formal attire, with the exception of guests who were dining in La Terrazza who could wear casual elegant attire.

On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trousersuits for ladies; jacket, tie optional for gentlemen). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of our public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks.

Women dressed in either long evening gowns or fancy cocktail dresses and men wore either tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits.

Keith

Just from a man's perspective . . . . for what it's worth . . . . on every cruise I have ever been on (Regent, SilverSea, Crystal) the women always look FABULOUS . . . and I have rarely noticed the men =)

Just from a man's perspective . . . . for what it's worth . . . . on every cruise I have ever been on (Regent, SilverSea, Crystal) the women always look FABULOUS . . . and I have rarely noticed the men =)

I suspect that the women notice the men.

The women also notice if another woman is wearing the same outfit as they are. :p

We did Alaska on the Shadow last year. I did bring, and wear, two long dresses and I saw lots of others wearing them, too. That being said, it was NOT the majority. Lots of short cocktail dresses and pants with glitzy tops. Guys were maybe half in tuxes and half in dark suits. Have fun! You will love Silversea!

Just back today from our July 1-16 Silver Cloud cruise along the Norway Coast where we had four formal nights. As this was a little "older" crowd on this cruise, the number of men wearing a tux was a little over half. There were a handful of guys who didn't do a tie with a dark suit or tux and/or with a lighter colored suit coat. I didn't really see anything that I would call a "formal ball gown" with women. The ladies looked nice and clearly a little "glitter" achieves part of the objective. To be picky, so men didn't have proper French cuffs, etc., on their shirts.

As we talked with different passengers, there clearly is somewhat of a "generation gap" among some on how important are things to be "formal" versus "informal" with a jacket, but no tie. Those who love formal, really love having that "power" from this look and keeping up the past lifestyle when they were working, going to the country club, etc. I won't stir this pot more, but there is no doubt that many of those in the 40's, 50's or early 60's age groups on this cruise look upon this question in a somewhat different way than those later 60's and older.

Different people can honestly have a range of options on these personal choice issues and questions for what's "best and proper". That why some Silversea veterans on this cruise told me they expect this policy to get loosen in the coming months and years. Also, to touch another hot button, these vets on this ship expect Silversea to tighten down on the smoking policies in the near future. (By the way, we had no smoking problems or hassles on this cruise. Good news!)

Overall, people looked good and had a great time, whether the dress was formal, informal or casual. Also, on a 15-day cruise, people were going to see certain outfits, sweaters, coats, etc., more than once. When you're having a good time, most people don't get as worried about these types of "details", based on our experiences on this and two other cruises with Seabourn and Crystal. People were busy with things to see, do and experience on this great cruise with so many wonderful port stops and sights to soak up.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details on our Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just back today from our July 1-16 Silver Cloud cruise along the Norway Coast where we had four formal nights. As this was a little "older" crowd on this cruise, the number of men wearing a tux was a little over half. There were a handful of guys who didn't do a tie with a dark suit or tux and/or with a lighter colored suit coat. I didn't really see anything that I would call a "formal ball gown" with women. The ladies looked nice and clearly a little "glitter" achieves part of the objective. To be picky, so men didn't have proper French cuffs, etc., on their shirts.

As we talked with different passengers, there clearly is somewhat of a "generation gap" among some on how important are things to be "formal" versus "informal" with a jacket, but no tie. Those who love formal, really love having that "power" from this look and keeping up the past lifestyle when they were working, going to the country club, etc. I won't stir this pot more, but there is no doubt that many of those in the 40's, 50's or early 60's age groups on this cruise look upon this question in a somewhat different way than those later 60's and older.

Different people can honestly have a range of options on these personal choice issues and questions for what's "best and proper". That why some Silversea veterans on this cruise told me they expect this policy to get loosen in the coming months and years. Also, to touch another hot button, these vets on this ship expect Silversea to tighten down on the smoking policies in the near future. (By the way, we had no smoking problems or hassles on this cruise. Good news!)

Overall, people looked good and had a great time, whether the dress was formal, informal or casual. Also, on a 15-day cruise, people were going to see certain outfits, sweaters, coats, etc., more than once. When you're having a good time, most people don't get as worried about these types of "details", based on our experiences on this and two other cruises with Seabourn and Crystal. People were busy with things to see, do and experience on this great cruise with so many wonderful port stops and sights to soak up.

For more details on our Silver Cloud experiences:

An interesting post. Your observation is in line with my thinking--as a general rule, there is a divide on opinions regarding formal dress that is based on age. Although there are exceptions in each group, I suspect that older cruisers prefer maintaining strict formal dress rules while younger cruisers want less formality in dress. Because to survive cruise lines will need to attract new cruisers from the younger generation, the dress code will inevitably get less formal. Seabourn's approach is interesting and may be the best way to handle the different demographic preferences--no formal nights on one-week cruises (where there are more younger cruisers) but formal nights continue for longer cruises (which have more older cruisers (persons who are retired and need not worry about time away from work)).

The same trend can be tracked regarding smoking--fewer smokers each year and therefore more and more pressure against smoking on cruise lines, with the consequence of cruise lines imposing more and more restrictions.

I suspect that these trends are unstoppable, the most pro-formal cruisers and pro-smoking cruisers will be able to do is slow the trends and mitigate them (such as suits being accepted as formal wear rather than requiring tuxedos and allowing smoking on balconies as well as in cabins). A better solution might be for certain cruise lines to take different approaches, with some being more formal and some less so, and there is some of that, but I suspect even the "formal" cruise lines do not want to limit their appeal to future, younger cruisers, so the trend will continue even on the lines that are perceived as more formal.

MHF/Melissa,

Yes, we are on the Sept. 4 Shadow sailing. I am not certain about how the " Friend " thing works on CC but I listed you so perhaps we could trade email addresses and maybe even meet for drinks and dinner.

Hi Denmonty,

I don't know how that CC Friend thing works either. I am woefully inadequate when it comes to social media...I don't have Facebook or Twitter either. YOu can drop me a note at

mhfischer at verizon dot net

DH and I were on QMII (LOVED IT...might have been the fact that we were upgraded from Princess to Queens Grill :)) But this is our first time on SS. We are looking forward to no set dining times or seats again.

M

We like formal nights as do our" children" who have been our guests on several cruises. Everyone feels more festive in evening clothes. I second Dusa baby's request that men always wear a jacket to dinner on casual nights. My husband always brings just a blue blazer and it's no big deal to put it on. Our feeling is simply to wear a jacket if your waiter is wearing one... an easy rule to follow! Cheers

We like formal nights as do our" children" who have been our guests on several cruises. Everyone feels more festive in evening clothes. I second Dusa baby's request that men always wear a jacket to dinner on casual nights. My husband always brings just a blue blazer and it's no big deal to put it on. Our feeling is simply to wear a jacket if your waiter is wearing one... an easy rule to follow! Cheers

I am one of those men who also wear a jacket on casual nights. For me the dining rooms look so nice so I just finding dressing in a jacket adds to the overall evening. To me just like a nice table cloth and china and crystal stemware add to the ambiance of a meal so does dressing up. I still even wear a sports jacket when we fly on an airplane, check into a hotel and board and disembark the ship.

I respect those who don't care to do this because it is certainly not required nor recommended on casual nights and many men don't do this.

For my wife and myself, it is not work but something we enjoy to do when we go for a nice dinner and certainly every dinner is nice on the luxury cruise lines.

Keith

I suspect that the women notice the men.

The women also notice if another woman is wearing the same outfit as they are. :p

Hi Keith1010

I can confirm that this woman always checks out all the men in their tuxedos.:D I think they all look so debonair and I love it when the Scottish guys wear their full kilts.

I also like to check out the tiaras on the other ladies...I get very miffed if I see mine on someone else.:D:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi Keith - my husband does too. I totally agree with what you say.

I get really annoyed at people who book a cruise on Silversea and then whinge about the 'formality of it all'. They obviously don't do enough research (or they do but choose to ignore it). Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, if they don't like the rules they shouldn't book with the cruise line.

(Sorry, had to have my say ;))

Hi Keith - my husband does too. I totally agree with what you say. I get really annoyed at people who book a cruise on Silversea and then whinge about the 'formality of it all'. They obviously don't do enough research (or they do but choose to ignore it). Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, if they don't like the rules they shouldn't book with the cruise line. (Sorry, had to have my say ;))

On the last night of our just-completed cruise, I wore a sport coat to the main dining room on this casual night. Virtually nobody else had on a sports coat. Plus, the room was a little warm with the sun on our side of ship, sitting next tot he window. I took the coat off. It might have also been as factor in being at the end of a 15-day cruise and most everyone was very "comfortable" with the other cruisers, the ship, staff, etc. I was a little surprised that people were being very, very casual on this more formal ship for this evening. It worked great for me being more casual and very relaxed.

For more details on our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords Silver Cloud experiences:

Terry, I do want to highlight that while I wear a sports jacket on casual nights and my wife dresses nicely as well, it is certainly not recommended in the guidelines so I do not expect others to do likewise.

In general, we have found on cruises we have taken on the luxury cruise lines that on the first and last nights that the casual attire in the dining room is even more casual if you will. I will still wear a sports jacket on those evenings but you will probably see the fewest on those nights. On the last night many guests have done most of their packing and in some cases guests wear clothing that night they will wear the following day and in other cases they want to just keep things simple to have less packing to do. On the first night guests will put on something simple as they have either not completely unpacked, or have not started unpacking or are just tired from that first day.

None of this bothers me.

However, at the same time I will still wear that sports jacket and my wife will wear something nice as well. Again for us this just adds to the evening and we don't look at getting dressed nicely as "torture" if you will. For us, it's just all part of the experience.

And the next day whether we are flying home or going directly to a hotel I'll be in that sports jacket and Anne Marie will be in something nice as well.

Keith

We went on our first Silversea cruise last December, and had the same questions! Most people do dress up for the formal nights, although not over the top. The lady I met on the cruise had lost all her ball gowns, in transit to the ship, but admitted that she would have been very overdressed if she had worn them. Long dresses, cocktail dresses, and just a smart top and trousers - or skirt are perfectly acceptable. My husband did take a DJ, and he will take one again when we sail SS in November this year, but not everyone does. A dark suit is perfectly adequate. We just quite like to dress up a bit sometimes! Of course, if you don't like the formal bit, there are always other places to eat informally. I'm sure you will enjoy SS. We were on the Wind last year, but will be on the Shadow this year - not the same cruise!

Archived