Oil Spill Changing Your Plans?

Soonerbaby

NO way are we cancelling our cruise!! We sail out of PR in October going to the Southern Carr. Who cares if they have to re-route anything....at least we still get to take a cruise! A drink in one hand with no bottom and a drink in the other hand for us!!:)

Take currents into account. The "Gulf Current" goes all the way to Scotland.

I am taking currents into consideration ..if your cruise is close in, chances are South Beach will be clear for some time. Im not debating that currents could take it all the way north eventually ...the models do

the amount of tar likely to wash up on a particular beach is still small on the east coast. ... as you said it depends on currents and wind. Im not saying it wouldnt hit any beachs or coastlines along the east coast ...just that the odds of it hitting ONE particular beach are small.

We cancelled a Dream booking for the following reasons:

Oil in the Gulf.

Over crowding at some of the islands.

Possible hurricane season being more active this year.

Cost of the cruise.

Tendering in Belize.

Some negative ship reviews regarding sewage smell.

Hmm...not quite sure I understand why any of these would be reasons to cancel a cruise? The effect any of these may have on a cruise are all perceived not actual reasons, simply because you haven't taken the cruise yet, so how can you know they will all negatively affect you? Just for the record, none of these would be cause for me to cancel a cruise!

I'm going! The only thing that would stop me is if Carnival cancels for the oil or a hurricane or some other reason. Otherwise, we're there! If they have to change itineraries, I'll be sad, but so be it.

Drago's has been having trouble getting oysters and have been using Northeast mussels... charbroiled mussels.

Sad isn’t it? Kinda takes away from the picture.

Some on here carries on like it's business as usual when it not.

Drago's has been having trouble getting oysters and have been using Northeast mussels... charbroiled mussels.

Not sure why. Oysters are available. Some places have stopped serving them because the price has gone up. PJ's supply is going day to day, but are managing to have oysters available for distribution. I know Acme Oyster has oysters. The oyster festival was just last weekend.

I believe they are shrimping as usual in Mississippi, so they should be available as well, too.

Not sure why. Oysters are available. Some places have stopped serving them because the price has gone up. PJ's supply is going day to day, but are managing to have oysters available for distribution. I know Acme Oyster has oysters. The oyster festival was just last weekend.

I believe they are shrimping as usual in Mississippi, so they should be available as well, too.

Drago's is very particular about their oysters and has to insure a large daily supply for their customers. The following is from their website:

Our signature dish is charbroiled oysters. This delectable dish has a lot of imitators, but the quality and freshness of our oysters cannot be duplicated. We take great care with our oysters, even before they leave the water. Our oysters are selected by our own fisherman. He’s been providing us with the best oysters for decades, and now his son will continue the tradition. We have our own refrigerated trucks to drive to the dock where the oysters are pulled from the water. They go straight to the restaurant in the shell, and are opened by hand. Here at Drago’s, oysters aren’t just oysters, they’re a way of life. Oyster farming in Louisiana was started by Croatian immigrants many generations ago. We are all family, we are all friends, and we take care of each other. We think you can taste this difference.

Earlier in this thread, someone indicated they had oysters on the half shell at Dragos last Saturday, so they obviously have some. Also, PJ's had enough oysters for the oyster festival without having to go to Texas or Florida.

The article sited is somewhat misleading and there are inconsistencies. There is a more recent version somewhere.

Sal, and others, are adjusting to getting oysters from the western part of the state instead of the usual oyster beds, and as mentioned, prices are going up.

Supply, while sketchy, is there.

The affected areas need all the business they can get! Not only cruise, but stay before and/or after your cruise and support the local economy! Most of these areas are just starting to recover from Katrina!!

I heard today that the oil contains benzene, a known carcinogen. Wonder what the long-term consequences of that will be? Does inhaling the fumes pose unknown dangers?

Benzene is the first compound to evaporate.

Sadly, what happens to evaporated items....

Rain. :eek:

Acid rain can be bad....wonder what oil rain will do?!

In the meantime...I am not opposed to volunteering on the beach for cleanup regardless of the risks. I think it would be a great opportunity for my kids to see and take part in. This will have long lasting effects - economically and environmentally. We dont like whats happening or how long its taking to fix the problem, but unless we can SOLVE the problem, we just have to buck up and realize that things will never be the same and try to be better with this amazing planet that gives us the opportunity to take cruises, to see stingrays in waist deep water, to watch the blue/green colors mingle against the white sand, etc...We are pretty lucky to have witnessed this. Who knows what the next generation(s) will have....

Sadly, what happens to evaporated items....

Rain. :eek:

Acid rain can be bad....wonder what oil rain will do?!

In the meantime...I am not opposed to volunteering on the beach for cleanup regardless of the risks. I think it would be a great opportunity for my kids to see and take part in. This will have long lasting effects - economically and environmentally. We dont like whats happening or how long its taking to fix the problem, but unless we can SOLVE the problem, we just have to buck up and realize that things will never be the same and try to be better with this amazing planet that gives us the opportunity to take cruises, to see stingrays in waist deep water, to watch the blue/green colors mingle against the white sand, etc...We are pretty lucky to have witnessed this. Who knows what the next generation(s) will have....

I'm thinking less than volcano rain.

It seems every time man creates a disaster, nature goes one or two better.

In the end, nature cleans them all up.

I am sailing out of New Orleans in Oct on the Triump and I will not cancel my cruise because of the oil. I have no idea what impact it will have on cruising, but I know how bad the citizens of Galveston needed cruisers money after Ike and I am sure the people of New Orleans are going to feel the impact from the oil spill and I feel my money is well spent there. JMHO

J:)Y

We are cruising on Triumph in July, going right thru the oil spill. I called my TA a couple of weeks ago about the spill for fear the mouth of the Mississippi would be closed. I asked about the insurance, she called back and was told by the insurance company that I am fully covered in the event of a natural disaster..but unfortunately the oil in the Gulf is a man made disaster so no I would not be covered...but they did thank her and said for her to have a nice day!

I have been assured if the Triumph cannot make it down the Mississippi the will move her to Galveston. They are washing the ships off as they come back thru the SW Pass.

We are cruising on Triumph in July, going right thru the oil spill. I called my TA a couple of weeks ago about the spill for fear the mouth of the Mississippi would be closed. I asked about the insurance, she called back and was told by the insurance company that I am fully covered in the event of a natural disaster..but unfortunately the oil in the Gulf is a man made disaster so no I would not be covered...but they did thank her and said for her to have a nice day!

I have been assured if the Triumph cannot make it down the Mississippi the will move her to Galveston. They are washing the ships off as they come back thru the SW Pass.

Talk when I was on Triumph last month that it would be moved to Houston ...not Galveston. Houston port has no cruise ships. They built the port ..and no one came, the economy turned bad.

Not many ships have needed cleaning, but cleaning stations are available for ships both entering and exiting from the Mississippi, if needed. If not heavily soiled, the ships can be cleaned while underway.

The Mississippi River and the ports are far too valuable to the country to be closed - at least for any length of time.

The oil spill has not caused any closures of the port in New Orleans and none is expected.

Archived