best time to buy train tickets

Simon and other experts,

I have been on the Trainline site to purchase tickets from Southampton to Bath, Bath to Oxford, and Oxford to Heathrow for late Aug. Should I buy now or wait? Will tickets likely be available at a good proice in a few weeks?

Thanks,

June1

MoneySavingExpert.com always says to buy them pretty much as soon as they are available.

That Martin Lewis guy does seem to know his stuff so thats what I'll be doing when we purchase our Edinburgh-Southampton tickets.

Generally speaking, the earlier you buy, the cheaper they'll be. Sometimes they will go down a bit after the first week of availability, but for the relatively short journeys you are doing I don't think that will be the case, so I'd go ahead and buy them as soon as possible. However, I see you are doing Oxford to LHR. This means you have got to go into Paddington, then back out to LHR. Might be worth looking at the National Express site as there is a direct coach for £21.

Simon

Generally speaking, the earlier you buy, the cheaper they'll be. Sometimes they will go down a bit after the first week of availability, but for the relatively short journeys you are doing I don't think that will be the case, so I'd go ahead and buy them as soon as possible. However, I see you are doing Oxford to LHR. This means you have got to go into Paddington, then back out to LHR. Might be worth looking at the National Express site as there is a direct coach for £21.

Discounted rail tickets are usually available approx 3 months in advance. If you book too early you'll not get the good fares, book too late and all the discounted fares have gone.

Archived