Solstice - May 30 Sailing - Comments

nadalina

It's hard with people from all over the world and ages to get dress code right. Most people my age call it "black tie" I think this would be a better term. I do not feel a tux is needed a black tailored suit with formal silk tie etc is dressy enough! I have worn tux but formal to us now at events is a dark black suit nice cuff links and polished shoes.

I think they need to change the terms!!! Celebrity is now much more urban and modern and current rather then Cunard formal stuffy like

As I was reading thru this thread, I kept thinking that maybe the way to explain formal nights is to call it "black tie". Like many of the posters on this board, I harken back to the days of two formal (black tie and evening gowns), three semi-formal (coat & tie/ cocktail dress or dressy pants and top), and two casual nights (first & last). I remember my late husband packing 5 or 6 ties, at least two blazers, plus tux and accessories. Over time, as we know, that has changed. Part of it is today's dress standards for many people at their jobs. I work in a casual office, where you only wear a suit (men and women) if you have a meeting outside the office. Other than that, open collar and slacks and sweaters are the norm. For many of the younger staff, getting dressed up (formal to them) is anything that requires a tie (for the men) and wearing a business dress or suit with heels (for the women). Unfortunately for those of us who, for many years, wore business clothes every day, regardless of how hot it was, this is a sesmic shift in the dress code landscape. So I go with the flow and now only own a couple of suits and jackets.

Transferring this mind set to cruising, or any vacation, people today simply don't have the kinds of clothes that would enable them to dress the way we "old-timers" would like them to. Add to that, airline baggage fees and weight restrictions, and in some ways I can understand why this is happening. Personally, I would be happy to resume the old style of dress for cruising, but I don't see it happening. So I now have become one of those women passengers who brings two street length cocktail dresses for formal nights. That seems to bridge the gap between the small number of passengers in truly formal ball gowns and the majority of passengers in a nice dress or pants and top. The gentleman who is crusing with me this fall on Solstice is bringing a dark suit, white French-cuffed shirt, two formal stripe ties and very fancy cuff links. The times they are changing...

Scarletina, I agree with csg0325 that a cocktail dress or dressy pants outfit with festive jewelry for women and suit & tie for gentlemen would be perfect for the formal evenings. There were only a scattering of tuxes and long evening gowns on our cruise, mine being one of them, so I changed to a very dressy, silky, flowing Chico's pants outfit for the second formal night and felt much more comfortable and in sync with what the majority were wearing.

I also agree with Straughn across the board. The changing dress attires are just simply a sign of the times, economic conditions and demographic and social situations. I just hope and pray that I'm not too old and set in my ways that I can't gracefully accept and learn to embrace and appreciate the changes. Hopefully my daughter and granddaughters will keep me young at heart and help me along the way.

AMAZING sums it up for me!!! :p

Just came back from the Caribbean -

1st cruise for me - went with four others that have cruised before and

they all said the same thing.......FABULOUS and when are we going again! (they had been on other cruise lines and said none compare to Celebrity)

Can't complain about anything - JUST AMAZING - AMAZING - AMAZING!!!:p

The ship itself and the crew made it AMAZING... if I never got off to visit

the islands I would have been perfectly happy. Already planning for Hawaii and Europe!

Thanks Nadalina and csg0325 for the info. . . it definitely helps me decide what nights to pick for the specialty restaurants..... I really love the formal nights. They are my favorite. I like the photos' and getting dressed up. My husband isn't much the kind to get dressed up and take me somewhere special....so I have to take advantage when I can.

Archived