Pisa or Lucca?

poss

Had hoped to be able to see both, but turning out not to be possible. So I'm wondering if there's any consensus about which of the two is more interesting. Might be that tastes are more or less evenly split, but if there's a heavy lean in one direction, that would help our choice. Thanks!

And my advice would be to see Lucca. Actually, my advice would be to do as Fblack did and see them both. But frankly, except for the tower, the duomo, baptistry, and cemetery--all of which are wonderful, you understand--I find Pisa as a whole less interesting overall than Lucca. I would really suggest getting a good guidebook (from your local library, if you don't want to buy one) and see what interests you; I loved the wall around Lucca, for example, but you might find that a big bore.

I've been to both Lucca and Pisa and would vote for Lucca hands down. It's all very personal, but I found Lucca much more interesting. It's a wonderful old walled city where you can actually walk around the top of the wall which encompasses the city. It's fun wandering the back streets, seeing all kinds of interesting architecture, getting lost and then suddenly finding yourself in the main square in the center of the city which is set up much like spokes on a bicyle with the main square as the center of the wheel. As I recall, it's a college town as well. There's also a tree growing out of the top of a building which is quite a sight to see.

The reason I said Pisa is that the Leaning Tower is one of those "bucket list places" that everyone has heard of and should see. To me it's like seeing the Eiffel Tower or the Colosseum. While Lucca is very nice, it's one of many walled or Hill towns in Italy or France. So unless I planned to come back in the future, I would do Pisa first.

The reason I said Pisa is that the Leaning Tower is one of those "bucket list places" that everyone has heard of and should see. To me it's like seeing the Eiffel Tower or the Colosseum. While Lucca is very nice, it's one of many walled or Hill towns in Italy or France. So unless I planned to come back in the future, I would do Pisa first.

I almost agree with that. <grin>

The Field of Miracles is one of the world's great public spaces. The leaning or the Leaning Tower is kinda besides the point imho, But, then, I find the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics romantic and my two favorite spots in Paris are the Eiffel tower (because you can't see the Eiffel Tower) and Sacre Cœur (because you don't have to see that over-decorated wedding cake if you face away from it).

There are several other interest places in Pisa, but nothing earth spattering.

Lucca is one of the those places that is simply a wonderful place to see, wander, have a cafe, walk the walls, have some vino and enjoy life.

I also vote for Lucca! It is a great place to spend time and people watch and get a better flavor of the day to day life. Now if you pay attention on the drive to Lucca from the port, on the right hand side you can see the Tower in the distance, thus you can say you saw both!

Have a wonderful day no matter which you choose.

Rebecca

I vote for Lucca, also. It was a wonderful place to walk. There is also an interesting church there - every pillar is decorated differently.

Pisa is just another Italian city, except for the Field of Miracles area. It doesn't take that long to see it. I'd do a "quickie" of Pisa (to get it off your "bucket list"), then drive on up to Lucca.

Is there anything worth seeing and doing in Lucca as a tourist?

Yes...some good suggestions in this thread alone. Not sure if you've had a chance to follow up on the recommendation that many here have given you to pick up a guidebook at your library or at a bookstore (or even on line) but I think you would find the information very helpful in your planning.

The responses have been very helpful-- thank you.

Both because we're up in years and striking out on our own has become somewhat less fun, and because excursions are included in the price of our cruise, we're going to do ship excursions. Alas, the tour to Pisa and the one to Lucca have conflicting times. From all I've read, I think that Lucca is much more our cup of tea (plus I did see Pisa on my first trip to Italy, many moons ago). Now I just hope our tour will allow time for us to walk the walls (our favorite thing about Dubrovnik, e.g.) When I read the description of the tour, I see that it's essentially a walking tour of the city, visiting various churches, the anfiteatro, etc. We'd much rather just be up on the walls and such than visiting the inside of churches, so it may be that we'll just use the bus for transfer to Lucca and spend the time on our own. (The tour allows "some free time at the end" for browsing in stores, but we have no interest in shopping.)

BTW, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WALK THE ENTIRE WALL, OR IS THAT NOT WHAT ONE DOES?

Thanks again!

Thanks, eurocruiser. I wonder if there's one section of the wall that for whatever reason is more handsome/interesting than other sections. If we wanted to spend, say, an hour on the wall, can you suggest where we should start? Thanks once more.

I've been to both Lucca and Pisa and would vote for Lucca hands down. There's also a tree growing out of the top of a building which is quite a sight to see.

The tower with the tree is the Tower Guinigi, and is part of a 15th century house which now belongs to the city. It's open to the public and you can climb to the top. The view is great, and because few people make the climb it's rather magical to be up there alone and think about all the family members who had 500 years of enjoying the space and the view.

Yes...some good suggestions in this thread alone. Not sure if you've had a chance to follow up on the recommendation that many here have given you to pick up a guidebook at your library or at a bookstore (or even on line) but I think you would find the information very helpful in your planning.

A guidebook is helpful in knowing what there is in the city, but by asking the questions here, I can get a variety of opinions about them, instead of just the facts and info that a book would not tell, like the feasibility of seeing both Lucca and Pisa. I definitely will go to the Leaning Tower, so going to Lucca would require doing more than watching locals and walking on a wall to be worth the taxi ride. Everybody is saying the best thing in all of Lucca is the wall around it, not a fancy building, garden, aquarium, museum, church, or theater. If none of those things are in Lucca why should I go? I don't want to just see a wall and people. That is boring to me. I only want to see the pretty places and things.

A guidebook is helpful in knowing what there is in the city, but by asking the questions here, I can get a variety of opinions about them, instead of just the facts and info that a book would not tell, like the feasibility of seeing both Lucca and Pisa

True, as far as getting help with the feasibility of things.

However, broad questions that advertise "I can't be bothered doing any work myself, please just tell me what I should do" probably aren't going to get much response.

I think if you look over your various posts, several people have very politely suggested that you do a little work on your own, and when you have specific questions, they will be happy to help you out.

A guidebook is helpful in knowing what there is in the city, but by asking the questions here, I can get a variety of opinions about them, instead of just the facts and info that a book would not tell, like the feasibility of seeing both Lucca and Pisa. I definitely will go to the Leaning Tower, so going to Lucca would require doing more than watching locals and walking on a wall to be worth the taxi ride. Everybody is saying the best thing in all of Lucca is the wall around it, not a fancy building, garden, aquarium, museum, church, or theater. If none of those things are in Lucca why should I go? I don't want to just see a wall and people. That is boring to me. I only want to see the pretty places and things.

Almost any guidebook will certainly tell you what there is to see in a particular town or city, including fancy buildings, gardens, aquariums, museums, churches, and theaters. Many even have photos and ratings for the various sites (e.g., "do not miss" or "Four stars" or similar).

Just because I like something (or someone else on this board does), there is no guarantee that YOU will like it or that it is something you are interested in -- as evidenced by this thread. I would find it perfectly lovely to walk the walls of a Tuscan town and sit down with a nice cappucino or glass of wine afterwards and indulge in a little "dolce far niente" (please don't ask -- look it up on Google). But clearly that is not what you, on your first visit, want to do ........... I can understand that.

I'm trying to say, in a nice way, that you really do need to do some research and reading on your own. We are more than happy to give feedback on questions or things that can't be answered by a simple Google search (e.g., what does "scavi" mean). I just know that looking at some guidebooks and doing some reading will really help you clarify what you are interested in and what you want to see on your trip.

A guidebook is helpful in knowing what there is in the city, but by asking the questions here, I can get a variety of opinions about them, instead of just the facts and info that a book would not tell, like the feasibility of seeing both Lucca and Pisa.

You are right; a guidebook is helpful in knowing what there is in the city, and if you looked at one, or looked at travel websites, such as Frommer's Destinations, you would not need to ask the question, "Is there anything worth seeing and doing in Lucca as a tourist?"

By relying only on sites such as this one, you are going to obtain a limited amount of information.

Since you are still waiting for answers to your question, here's a link to the website I mentioned above: Lucca

Scroll through the index on the left of that page and look at the links for Attractions, Photos, Map, etc., and I think you'll end up with a much better idea of what Lucca has to offer for tourists, than what you will get just by reading the answers to your question here.

It sounds like you are more into the "checking things off" kind of trip than the "let's see what's here" kind of trip. It's a tourist vs traveler thing, I think. To each his own...

If you have to have specific things in mind to see, you might be more comfortable in Pisa. You already know you can go to the Field of Miracles and 1)see the Duomo and the Leaning Tower 2)go into the Duomo 3)go up the Leaning Tower 3)go into the Bapistry 4)go into the Duomo Museum. Oh, you can hit up the tons of souvenir stands that surround the square ;)

I'm the wanderer type. I've been to Rome, but I've yet to see the Coliseum or the Forum. I saw the Spanish Steps, but only because I ran into them while just walking around. I've been to Barcelona, but I haven't seen Park Guell (yet). I usually have one main thing that I want to see, and then just wander around and see what I see. I loved getting lost in Venice (I found one square where there were 2 signs pointing different ways to Piazza San Marco!!!), found some great neighborhoods in Barcelona (where I picked up a couple of nice scarves). Going to Lucca and Cinque Terre and the Tuscan Hill Towns isn't about a museum, or building. It's about the whole town, it's history, the beauty of the landscape, the pace of the town. With all the fantastic ceramics produced in several of the towns, and the great cheese and salumerias, I do love to wander and look in the shops. And, nothing beats being drawn into a shop by the sweet smells of the pastries inside!!!

Hi Poss,

I have been to both more than once, and stayed in Lucca as long as two weeks( and was never bored!). So I would say Lucca, hands down. If looking for restaurant recommendations, our favorite was Buca di Sant' Antonio. For al fresco lunch I reccommend Ristorante Giglio. If you google them you can get street map of their location.

We are going to both Lucca and Pisa. Whilst seeing the tower is one of my bucket list items, I am torn if it is really worth lining up to climb the tower as we have been warned about the long lines of people waiting to do it. My research would suggest it best to order my ticket on line to save time but I would really appreciate other people's thoughts who have climbed the tower whether they felt it was a must do.

There are no long lines of people waiting to climb the tower, all entrances are by timed tickets. Groups of about 20 or so are brought in at a time.

It is always advisable to pre-order tickets for the tower if you want to climb in because of the limited number available on any given day.

Archived