Is there a set time for balcony dining?

deej696

So my wife and I would like to do the balcony dining one of the nights of our Alaska cruise on Golden. I've read some posts here where wind was a big factor, especially in our mini (E729) so I am trying to figure out the best time to do this. We are docked in Juneau till 10pm, so I'm thinking we could do it that evening, but I also dont want to cut our day too short. Is there a set time they do this, or can I request it for say 8pm?

I honestly cannot imagine evening dining in a balcony in Alaska. We had a heat wave when we were up there but mornings and evenings were COLD

Yeah, I had thought about that too, and looking at the average temps, it sounds like we may be having a romantic dinner for two in the cabin:D

We just got off the Royal Princess 14 day cruise to Alaska. I booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner several months ago with Princess and was told I'd need to call and set a time when I got on board - just like I always have. When we got on board the card was in our room and I called Room Service (DINE didn't work on the Royal). I was told I could schedule it anytime I wanted it. I picked 6:30 the night we were in Juneau because like you, we would be in post until 10 and the boat wouldn't be moving during dinner. The last times we did the UBD the weather, or the wind from sailing caused us to move inside, still nice, but not the same. They came by to set up the table about 5:45, and were back to start us with cocktails at 6:30. We were done around 8 or 8:15 I would guess and we were pretty sure the ship was going to start sinking on our side. We had the surf and turf and the fillet was the biggest I've seen in years and was wonderful. Just when we thought we couldn't eat anymore they brought a huge dessert. I wish my mother hadn't taught me to eat what I was given :-)

This time the weather in Juneau was spectacular - in fact it was too bright and warm on the balcony - the sun was shining in my eyes. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt and it was perfect (27 June).

So I guess you pay your money and take your chances depending on the time of year - and at least you have a mini on your cruise, we had a balcony since the Royal doesn't have minis.

Good luck - enjoy!!

I don't want to hijack the thread but in regards to the UBD in the aft minis, is it generally too windy to have it out there? We were considering the UBD during sailaway from Maui and have E731 on the Sapphire, this has me rethinking....

We had it for 4 on the corner Caribe aft on Sapphire, it was perfect!!

Yeah, I had thought about that too, and looking at the average temps, it sounds like we may be having a romantic dinner for two in the cabin:D

We have ordered the UBD at least 10 times and have had to move it inside once due to high winds and the cold. It can be scheduled most anytime you like subject to availability.

Mike:)

I don't want to hijack the thread but in regards to the UBD in the aft minis, is it generally too windy to have it out there? We were considering the UBD during sailaway from Maui and have E731 on the Sapphire, this has me rethinking....

I think that all depends. We had E731 and did UBD sailing out of St Martin and it was fine. On our last cruise, the wind had kicked up that evening and we were in E730. We ended up moving inside. It was still nice and intimate.

Archived