Iceland or TA crossing - timing?

jettman

We are looking at voyages 1021 (August 2010) and 4026 (Sep 2010) that cross the Atlantic and voyage 1021 spends time in the North Sea (Faroe and Shetland Islands) and ends in Reykjavik.

Does anyone have an experience to share of sailing in the North Sea or crossing the Atlantic? Does crossing the Atlantic or being in the North Sea in August vs. Sept matter in terms of weather and rough seas?

Thanks!

I've done both that time of the year and both can be rough. I would prepare for some rough seas because the odds say you will encounter some of that. But they are both nice cruises. I'd probably do the TA one though in terms of other factors such as flights.

Keith

Thanks, Keith and duct tape. You are right....I am finding the flights to be difficult to coordinate out of Reyjavik. We are going around the Horn in Jan 2011, so it's probably too much to ask to have calm seas on both trips!

Iceland -- besides hoping to get on the Spirit for the Caribbean this November, we hope to get on Azamara Journey for Copenhagen, Norwegian Coast, Iceland ending in Dublin in August 2011. What do you know about Iceland? What is it like and how is the sea at that time of the year?

Iceland -- besides hoping to get on the Spirit for the Caribbean this November, we hope to get on Azamara Journey for Copenhagen, Norwegian Coast, Iceland ending in Dublin in August 2011. What do you know about Iceland? What is it like and how is the sea at that time of the year?

With the number of volcanoes in Iceland, it's an accident waiting to happen:D

I haven't been there yet...it's on the top of my bucket list and I hope to get there before it blows itself up.

Cheers

Jennifer

Thanks, Keith and duct tape. You are right....I am finding the flights to be difficult to coordinate out of Reyjavik. We are going around the Horn in Jan 2011, so it's probably too much to ask to have calm seas on both trips!

We went around the Horn in Dec 2008 and just did an Atlantic crossing on the Spirit in April/May. Only one rough night out of 30 days combined on the 2 trips and that was cruising to the Falkland Islands. We have been very fortunate. We chatted with the Captain, and he was surprised that our recent North Atlantic cruise was so calm.

We went around the Horn in Dec 2008 and just did an Atlantic crossing on the Spirit in April/May. Only one rough night out of 30 days combined on the 2 trips and that was cruising to the Falkland Islands. We have been very fortunate. We chatted with the Captain, and he was surprised that our recent North Atlantic cruise was so calm.

You were indeed very fotunate but that is why it is never possible to predict wha the seas will be like. The first time we went around the horn (one of the Seabourn triplets) the seas were actually fairly calm that morning but within a few hours they were extremely rough and we had some other rough seas during that voyage. A couple of years later we had very calm seas includng beautiful days sailing off Antarctica. The following year we know folks on a similar voyage and they had extemely rough seas.

I always tell people to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Again, consider yourself very fortunate unless of course you enjoy some rough seas which I do know some folks do.

Keith

We are looking at voyages 1021 (August 2010) and 4026 (Sep 2010) that cross the Atlantic and voyage 1021 spends time in the North Sea (Faroe and Shetland Islands) and ends in Reykjavik.

Does anyone have an experience to share of sailing in the North Sea or crossing the Atlantic? Does crossing the Atlantic or being in the North Sea in August vs. Sept matter in terms of weather and rough seas?

Thanks!

We have done TA's from London to NY via Iceland and Greenland twice - once in September, once in August. Both also went to the Faroes, etc.

The transit from Iceland to Greenland via the Denmark Strait seems prone to rough weather and we've had some heavy seas there. We didn't see a difference between August and September; it's pretty random. On one of the cruises they had to postpone formal night because the sea was pretty rough and many passengers weren't up for it.

In our experience the DK Strait was rougher than the North Sea, but doubt that's an absolute.

The weather in Iceland was pleasant enough but could get chilly at times. No shorts for sure - jeans, and bring a sweatshirt. One day out hiking in Seydisfjordur we were really glad that we had our winter jackets and gloves with us! Greenland was in the mid 30s on one of our visits which made for a very cold wait in line for the tenders back to the ship.

If you want an idea of the weather in Iceland and Greenland, and what we were wearing during our last TA cruise, you can look at our pictures. Use the "Pics 2" link below next to "Tahitian Princess - TA - August 2009" in the signature.

So you are saying that the portion from Copenhagen to Norwegian Coast to Iceland is better than the onward portion to Greenland? As long as the first portion is reasonable, that will be good enough for us.

So you are saying that the portion from Copenhagen to Norwegian Coast to Iceland is better than the onward portion to Greenland? As long as the first portion is reasonable, that will be good enough for us.

If you have the same experience that we did, then yes. But anything goes in these waters... :)

Archived