Is Continental Bayside Really that Bad?

kmacht

I am looking for a hotel for one night before our cruise out of Miami. I would prefer something withing walking distance of Bayside Market place so that we have a selection or Resteraunts to choose from that night. I ran across the Continental Bayside as a fairly inexpensive choice. The problem is that the reviews I am seeing on it make it sound like a run down dump. I'm not picky and don't have high expectations for a one night hotel. It is only a place to sleep after all. All I expect is a clean safe room. So for those who have stayed there in the recent past, how bad is it? Are there any other alternatives that are sub $90 for the night?

Keith

You can get the Hilton or the Intercontinental on Priceline/Hotwire for around $90.

You don't want to get stuck in a dump in Miami! It can not only be unpleasant, but downright dangerous!

Rather than Bayside, which is over-priced and tacky, try hotels in the Blue Lagoon area. You'll still have some good restaurant choices, you'll save some money and I think you'll like the area.

The problem is that the reviews I am seeing on it make it sound like a run down dump. I'm not picky and don't have high expectations for a one night hotel. It is only a place to sleep after all. All I expect is a clean safe room. So for those who have stayed there in the recent past, how bad is it? Keith

How many reviews are you looking for? If it sounds like a run down dump to you, what more do you want? :confused:

I just looked at a few photos on TripAdvisor and I wouldn't even want to stand outside of the place, much less enter a room. It's #174 out of 198 Miami Beach hotels. If that doesn't scream "stay away", then it's your choice.

Ok, so it definatly sounds like this place is out. The reason I asked here is because I don't always trust the reviews on places like priceline or trip advisor. I have seen places reviewed as dumps that were perfectly acceptable to me and I have seen places reviewed as the best place on earth and found it to be barely habbitable. Too many times the reviews are from either jided customers, competing hotels, or the hotels themselves.

So where is the blue lagoon area? How do I search for hotels near it? Is it considered downtown? I am flying into FLL and using a shuttle service that will drop off at hotels located in downtown Miami or near the Port. There is some rule keeping them from dropping off at hotels near the airport.

Keith

Blue Lagoon area is near MIA - SAS and most of the shuttle services will not take you there, there's no reason to travel 45-60 minutes for a hotel; you can stay just as nice/cheap near FLL and then shuttle to POM the next morning. When are you cruising? :confused: Hotel prices vary widely with the seasonal tourist demand.

Good luck!:)

John asked the right question.....for WHEN? If it is peak time, you mioght want to stay in FLL and take the SAS shuttle in the morning to save some room rate.

Know that hotels near airports are always cheaper and some include shuttle from the airport and breakfasts etc. But you aren't near the highlights of the area.

Your budget of $90 in the fall or this summer is okay. You'll find something near that. If Christmas, Thanksgiving or mid Jan thru Easter...pretty darn hard.

Add some info so we can steer you.:)

The Cruise leaves on the 19th of August (this year) so I need a room on the 18th (Wednesday Night). I am also open for suggestions on hotels in the FLL area. Something inexpensive with a shuttle to/from the airport would be perfect. It has to have a resteraunt within walking distance though. I won't have a car to get around.

Keith

kmacht----

not sure if this will work or not:

http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotelDetail.aspx?hotelId=917&provider=localTgsProvider&SearchCompleted=1

This link is (almost certainly) the Intercontinental for less than $100.00 for your night. No shuttle, but a very short and inexpensive cab ride to the port. Should be around $10.00 or so. Many options for dining across the street in Bayside complex. Taxi from the airport will be around $20.00 or so.

Ok, just how bad is it? Details if you please. We are already booked so we will just have to make the best of it but at least we will be prepared. Do I need to bring my own sheets or bed bug spray/

Thanks, Doglady

Ok, just how bad is it? Details if you please. We are already booked so we will just have to make the best of it but at least we will be prepared. Do I need to bring my own sheets or bed bug spray/

Thanks, Doglady

Have you seen the reviews on Trip Advisor? If you had to bring sheets and bug spray...I have no words. Cancel the damn reservation!

Have you seen the reviews on Trip Advisor? If you had to bring sheets and bug spray...I have no words. Cancel the damn reservation!

Yes, I have seen good and bad reviews on this board also. I just would like a review from someone on this board who has been there recently.

Thanks, Doglady

i stayed there 03 april to 04 april of this year. it really is not that bad, but i don't normally stay in 3*+ hotels either, which by reading the reviews, that's what it makes me think these reviewers normally stay in. i've also done travel all over there world, and 9 times out of 10, opt for hostels, so maybe i don't have super high expectations? i stayed in a room on the second floor, and it was spacious, compared to a normal hotel. it had one king bed, and yeah, it was a bit firm, but it was still sleep-able. it came with a mini fridge, desk and chair. i didn't notice any stains on the carpet, bedding, or pillows in my room. it was a bit hard to find at first, it's a tall white building, and its close to the CVS and HI POM. excellent location to bayside market place. i think that if you are using it for a pre-cruise stay, you will be fine. don't walk into it thinking you are getting some luxury resort. it's a hotel, and not much else. i didn't stay for their breakfast, so i can't comment on that, but if i had to, i would stay there again, it didn't bother me.

i stayed there 03 april to 04 april of this year. it really is not that bad, but i don't normally stay in 3*+ hotels either, which by reading the reviews, that's what it makes me think these reviewers normally stay in. i've also done travel all over there world, and 9 times out of 10, opt for hostels, so maybe i don't have super high expectations? i stayed in a room on the second floor, and it was spacious, compared to a normal hotel. it had one king bed, and yeah, it was a bit firm, but it was still sleep-able. it came with a mini fridge, desk and chair. i didn't notice any stains on the carpet, bedding, or pillows in my room. it was a bit hard to find at first, it's a tall white building, and its close to the CVS and HI POM. excellent location to bayside market place. i think that if you are using it for a pre-cruise stay, you will be fine. don't walk into it thinking you are getting some luxury resort. it's a hotel, and not much else. i didn't stay for their breakfast, so i can't comment on that, but if i had to, i would stay there again, it didn't bother me.

Thank you for your response. I am sure we will be fine. I know I have stayed in much worse places in my younger and poorer days. lol I am not going to worry about finding it, that is the cab driver's job.

Happy cruising!

Doglady

Archived