? For NY/NJ Fliers During Spring Break

Of all things I have to do the reverse next year and fly up to NY/NJ right at the start of their spring break for a wedding:rolleyes:

The airfares as you all know are crazy....so I am trying to use miles for 4 people. The only way to do this with 100K miles is to go saverpass economy 25K per/roundtrip. I can get us up their nonstop but the only return I can get us for any day right now Sun-Tues return is connecting thru Chicago:( My question is for any of you that try to use miles during spring break holidays (Easter week or the week before) do you have any luck seeing things open up down the road or should I look to take what I can get right now and consider myself lucky finding anything for 4 under saverpass economy:confused:

steve, I'm pretty impressed that you found any non stop flights between Florida and NY/NJ at all. I've been looking for flights going from Newark to FLL for the spring break (April 16-24) and not only are the prices shockingly high, but the only mileage seats are for layover flights in Cleveland, Houston and other places. And that's for 25,000 miles each way. I have my mileage on Continental and the price is over $600 per ticket. I can't believe the pricing.

steve, I'm pretty impressed that you found any non stop flights between Florida and NY/NJ at all. I've been looking for flights going from Newark to FLL for the spring break (April 16-24) and not only are the prices shockingly high, but the only mileage seats are for layover flights in Cleveland, Houston and other places. And that's for 25,000 miles each way. I have my mileage on Continental and the price is over $600 per ticket. I can't believe the pricing.

Janet...yep, looks like your spring break is exactly when I need to be up there....and yes, I am also Continental. The agent on the phone was less than helpful....she acted like I was crazy looking to book next April this far out and hinted that I should wait....HOWEVER I know what this weekend is going to be a zoo....my return is when half of NYC/NJ will be heading this way. She also told me that a new rule that started like 6 months ago is that they now charge a changes fee if you try to change flights on rewards...she said i would be charged $75/pp if something better opened and I wanted to switch and that there is now a $150 fee to put your miles back into your account if you need to cancel .....thats all new to me:confused:

Janet...yep, looks like your spring break is exactly when I need to be up there....and yes, I am also Continental. The agent on the phone was less than helpful....she acted like I was crazy looking to book next April this far out and hinted that I should wait....HOWEVER I know what this weekend is going to be a zoo....my return is when half of NYC/NJ will be heading this way. She also told me that a new rule that started like 6 months ago is that they now charge a changes fee if you try to change flights on rewards...she said i would be charged $75/pp if something better opened and I wanted to switch and that there is now a $150 fee to put your miles back into your account if you need to cancel .....thats all new to me:confused:

Really? I'll have to ask my sister. She recently did some mileage rewards and at first was told that there was an additional cost to do it, then it turned out to be untrue. I wonder how much any of them really know about what is going on. And with the pending merger, I think they are holding prices high in anticipation of blending flights.

I'm waiting to see what happens when JetBlue comes out with their flights. I'm hoping they are lower than Continental. Right now, I can fly between Philly and FLL for around $354/pp so I know that the flights can be lower. Do they really think anyone is paying $616 to fly to Florida?

So you're heading back to Florida on Easter weekend? That's going to be really tough. In general, flights are high that weekend. As you can see, the flight up is fine, since we're all fleeing up here to come down to you, but when you come home, you're with the late break flyers.

Let me know if you see anything break and I'll do the same.

Do you know when Jetblue opens up past Jan for booking? My return is the weekend before Easter which is even worse because that is the weekend that almost all NY/NJ schools start their spring break...spring break ends easter weekend this year for you guys.

Last April (weekend of Easter) I needed a flight from EWR to FLL and the prices were $600pp forever. Finally they went down to about $330 + tax and I booked. They never went any lower.

I remember that Marci;)

OK....got a bit of classification from the web-site, confirmed with Continental. The goofy person on the phone yesterday gave me a bit of misleading info...no surprise:rolleyes: As long as you are outside of 21 days Continental will not charge you a change fee on a reward flight....where there will be a charge is inside of 21 days or if the change you make leaves you with points to deposit back into your account.....both being a $75/pp fee each. So as long as I booked what was available under the 25K round-trip I am safe...that is the least amount of points for a reward travel. Where I would be charged a fee is if I booked under the 50K round-trip and then found something for less points. Also if you book over the phone they charge you a $25 fee....fee waved if you book on-line....how sill is that when I already have the agent on the phone with me:rolleyes:

Not surprising at all. I think they are trying to discourage any phone calls so they can cut staff, and if you use the phone people, you pay for it. I don't usually have to call the, but did when I had credit I needed to use and we were using 3 and saving 1, so someone had to move some over and it was a bit complicated.

I think at this point, mid $300s would be acceptable. It's the lack of any sort of mileage seats that don't take me 6+ hours to get there, with a change, that irks me so much.

Archived