How do I find out if an online agency has a good reputation?

I'm aware of the "no agency recommendations" here but how do I find out if a company online is reputable? None of my friends or coworkers cruise except for one who uses her travel agent sister. I know this agency has been around at least since our first cruise back in 2003 but I'm a bit concerned about only being able to make contact via email. Should that be a concern? I know which ship, which date, and which cabins I want - what else do I need to contact a TA about after booking?

Thanks.

Are they giving you a huge discount?? What about fees?? Why are you using them if you cant call them. .. I know I got one thru a auction and said who cares about service, but turned out I needed to contact them multiple times and they answer emails within 24 hours ...and not always a real answer. I decided I would never use them again, and I didnt save a dime ...didnt upgrade to a balcony when it would only have been $40 more, just because it was so impossible to discuss anything with them.

Even if they dont have complaints listed by the BBB doesnt mean you wouldnt be pullign out your hair if you cant call them.

Not really a huge discount, something in the area of $350 for both cabins. Price drops would be nice, but I don't want to change cabins as I want a 9B and an inside closeby so I won't be wanting an upsell. My concern about booking with Carnival is that I have to watch for my own price drops and I don't care to do that. This way I'll already be $350 lower than the listed price and I won't have to look for a drop and argue to get it. I read their policies and it seems they have a $25 change or cancel fee + whatever the cruiseline charges. Sounds reasonable but I'm just not that experienced with TAs to know if I'm making a mistake.

I had a TA who gave 10% discount off the cruisefare, but also had the $25 pp. You could call them though ... but the $25 pp made it so half a dozen of one, 6 of the other. I booked with Carnival and debated transferring it too long, too late now. I got one price drop of $20 pp ... so I would have missed out on that, with the $25 pp fee for price drops, but I would have been slightly ahead still with the money off.

As you have a much more expensive cabin ...I can see why you would do it. If you are booked ES you are still elgible for price drops ... so Im not sure of your reasoning that you would have to watch if you booked thru Carnival.. I would still watch, even booked thru a TA.

My thinking was I kept mine thru Carnival, because I booked for this Sept, hurricane season and if there is a hurricane I would be price protected ..but instead there is the oil spill ... so far my week hasnt gone down, just the two weeks AFTER mine (drat).

$350 to me would be enough to sway me into booking thru a discounter. There are other TAs that allow you to call them on the phone, that still discount.

I dont know how you can check them out..maybe someone else has some better ideas than BBB

There are many TA's that don't have change or cancellation fees. I wouldn't use one that does.

I have a question that is similar. I was going to use an online TA that didn't list their BBB rating and when I checked the BBBonline site, it wasn't listed there. Other agencies that I was considering did list theirs. Is this a "bad sign" when the company doesn't want to show their rating? Or isn't every company rated? Anyone know?

Use a local travel agent, you have a face and a name to talk to, to go see, to ask your questions. For me.... It works. :p

Most local TAs wouldnt have rebatted $350 of their commission? If they dont give a discount. Id rather book direct.

You can do a google search with the TA's name and then either "reviews" or "complaints". I just used a TA and searched and they had no documented isues. Of course the operative word is "documented".

Not everyone is automatically "registered" with the BBB. You have to do that with the appropriate amount of hoop jumping and stuff like that. If you don't see them there, they aren't part of the BBB. It is an organization with membership and you have to become a member to be listed.

Hope that helps!

I have used 3 different on-line companies not counting the one thru the airline I use. I have had NO problems with any of them. They all have a phone number. Some I have booked directly on-line and some I have booked on the phone after doing all my research on-line. One of the companies is affiliated with this site I think. If I'm booking more than one cabin I call them. If only one cabin I usually just do it on-line.

I would google it and probably the most popular sites will pop up first. If something "just doesn't look or feel right" I would avoid them.

Good luck.

By the way I have tried to use local TA's but none of them seem to want to go the extra mile. I think they are just too hungry for business right now to give up anything. The internet has all but killed their business from what I get talking to them.

Archived