Eating with strangers

perdido

On our Disney cruises, we always seemed to be seated by ourselves (but we tend to go with 4-6 people). On my Carnival Cruise we did MTD, so my Mom and I were seated alone, but the tables are close enough together that we were as good as sitting with others. Our favorite were this young honeymooon couple. They were first time cruisers and we sort of adopted them. I'd brought way too much soda, and ended up giving him several (he didn't realize how expensive it was). We ended up sitting near them 3 or 4 of our 7 nights, and sort of adopted them. Whoever got there first would give advice to the other on what tasted good/bad.

We've been very fortunate on most cruises to have pleasant people at our table! My one bad experience was a sort of "nouveau riche" woman in her thirties, who (thankfully!) was unable to come to dinner a couple of times, as she was full of whiny complaints. Every night she WAS there, however, she complained to the waiter that crème brulee was not on the dessert menu. The last night of the cruise, our waiter proudly announced that he had arranged for crème brulee for our table, even though it wasn't on the menu. Everyone was so tickled.... then the dessert appeared, and Ms. NR stared at it and said incredulously "No fresh berries??!! It's not crème brulee without fresh berries!" The waiter explained that, being the last night of the cruise, they were out of berries. Ms. NR demanded that she speak with the maitre de and berated him as well.... At the time we felt pretty uncomfortable, but over the years it has become a great joke to say "No fresh berries??!!"

See, I would have had it out with her. I'm a gourmand and I make incredible dishes and creme brulee is one of them. Traditional creme brulee has no garnishes and since I'm a purist, I prefer mine plain with the burnt sugar top...

We eat alone. We barely have time maintaining our family unit and there is no way I'd have time to keep up with other people, both on the ship and afterwards...

Bad: On our honeymoon we were seated with two other couples on their honeymoon. I remember when the boat shifted to one side, u can see the water move to one side of the glass, however looked as if it was standing straight up.

Well when i pointed that out to my DH, the girl across from me covered her mouth with her hand and threw up. She and her new husband didnt come back to dinner until the last night.

Good: we have always had a party with us big enough to get our own table. We are now going on a cruise with just five of us, and I want to sit at a big table, preferably with kids around our kids same ages.

OMG....we are sailing Carnival Splendor in August...the 3 of us...and I am hoping for a booth...for JUST the 3 of us! Can't imagine how uncomfortable a booth w/7 would be...esp if u didn't know the others!

Due to back/leg problems, I need to sit in a 'booth-type' seating, rather than a chair. I am planning to talk with the Maitre D as soon as we board to request this.....PLEASE tell me that there's a 'good probability' that request will be granted!!! And...please let me know...is it 'appropriate' to offer a tip to the Maitre D for this request? I would be happy to do that, however don't want to 'offend' or do something not acceptable.

Thanks for any input on this~

1) Booth for 3 request...esp due to medical need

2) Tip for Maitre D as part of the request

If you do have a 'medical need' for a specific type of seating I would not wait til boarding - contact Carnival (or get your TA to do this if you booked thru one) and let them know about your specific requirements so that can set this up before you cruise.

Upon boarding check your sign and sail card - it will have your dining time and table # on it - there will be a specific time when you can speak with the maitre d' (check the fun times or ask at the purser's desk) - you can then verify your 'assignment' and ask for a change if it is not to your liking. No tip is required at that time - most people will tip the maitre d' on the last night of the cruise specifically if he has done something special for them!

Have fun!

Of course, they are ususally my immediate family :D

Froufies advise is your best bet. The MD is usually able to assist you with any changes you may need-but do it as soon as you board. The MD line will get longer as the day progresses. I have actually seen a line-up/queue before the listed time the MD will be available on embarkation.

Have a great trip!

BTW-the Carnival website specifically states that the MD can not and will not take gratuites for dining room assistance the day of embarkation. You can extend a gratuity the final night as Froufie suggests.

We have been at our own table on both cruises, which was nice. At breakfast is was fun to chat with other people, to see what other people were doing. I don't think I would mind sitting with others at dinner either. Once we missed the early seating, and were seated with a couple with two kids, and my son and their son became best buds for the rest of the trip. Hung out at the kids club together and in each other's rooms as well. Glad we ran in to them!

My first and only cruise we were seated with a couple on their honeymoon (they did live together for 5 years prior). We were engaged. I think they were in their early 30's and I'm 27 andmy fiance is 33. They seemed nice, except the woman always talked down to him and bossed him around.........then on Christmas Night my fiance stayed in the cabin with seasickness and made me go to dinner without him- the couple came, asked about my fiance, and then proceeded to argue behind a menu like I couldn't hear........I felt VERY uneasy. Couldn't wait til dinner was done! I really didn't think it was worth switching seats though and we did end up sitting next to each other at a few shows.

What are your best and/or worst experience dining at a table full of strangers?

I had a guy who drank his coffee by bringing his head down to the cup and slurping it up rather than bring the cup up to his mouth.

In all fairness though......and from what I recall from visiting Russia....it may have benn a cultural thing.....I am sure I will promptly be corrected:rolleyes:if I am wrong.

Best was the Sensation 2000, my first solo cruise,table for 10 ( 9 showed up ) and it was a fantastic group. Highlight of the day was seeing everyone together at dinner every night. A close second was table for 10 on the Triumph 2004, all ten showed up and 5 of us clicked really well. The others just seem a bit shy, but quite pleasant.

The worse was on Celebrity Zenith 2002, ( too long a story, I have told it before too many times ) to make it short, there was a lot of table changing done, but for the last 3 evenings at least we had a nice couple with us who had also come from a "bad" table. Otherwise great cruise though.:)

What are your best and/or worst experience dining at a table full of strangers?

That was on board the Explorer (RCL) on our cruise back in '06. We were seated, the four of us with two teenagers, a group of elderly couples that not only talked politics but went as far to describe their bowel movements, noises made during bed time, & all of their bad bodily habits during dinner. Looking back, we should've asked to be seated elsewhere.

But on Empress for our cruise to Bermuda the following year it was really pleasant because we were seated with other couples and we had great conversation amongst all of us!!

We had a Chinese couple that didn't speak any English, together with three other persons: a blind, a deaf a mute and a sightseeing dog...interesting times!

That would've been a blast....kind friendly nods at the people who couldn't speak any English and a sneaking of food bites to the dog during dinner....CLASSIC!!!!!!

On my solo cruise I was assigned a booth. I thought it was for four people. Carnival assigned SEVEN people to our booth! There were six of us stuffed into the booth and one person sat at the end of the table. I was assigned this booth with 2 solo men and a family of four. One man was a no-show, the other man left mid meal because he was seasick (Hurricane Norbert). This left me with the family of four who did NOT speak english. I'm sure they were very nice people but we were unable to talk to each other.

Whoa....BOOTHS in a cruise ship's dining room? Is this right, and is it typical for Carnival? I've never spotted a booth on a cruise ship except for Johnny Rockets!

This has actually prompted me to call CCL RIGHT NOW and INSIST we do NOT be seated at a BOOTH! Sorry, but a booth on a cruise ship sounds really tacky.

***EDIT - called PVP and she said "no, there are no booths in our main dining area" so now I begin to wonder how did you get assigned a booth??? They are however found in the Lido, which is ok with us. Just not the MDR, oh please!

Whoa....BOOTHS in a cruise ship's dining room? Is this right, and is it typical for Carnival? I've never spotted a booth on a cruise ship except for Johnny Rockets!

This has actually prompted me to call CCL RIGHT NOW and INSIST we do NOT be seated at a BOOTH! Sorry, but a booth on a cruise ship sounds really tacky.

***EDIT - called PVP and she said "no, there are no booths in our main dining area" so now I begin to wonder how did you get assigned a booth??? They are however found in the Lido, which is ok with us. Just not the MDR, oh please!

Most PVPs (like yours) have not really cruised that much and are not aware of what is and is not on the ships (unlike the very well informed cruise critic population!) There are DEFINITELY booths in the main diniing room (at least on the ships I have been on) and there is nothing tacky about them? They are quite nice and mostly located around the 'sides' of the room than in the center? with 'etched' glass dividers, nice seats, etc. Not sure why you would be so against a booth? The only reason would be if you are not comfortable in a booth (depending on size, leg issues, etc)...or if you are a large family and don't think it would accommodate all of you?

They DO have booths on the Fantasy class ships.

Ashley :-)

Get a new PVP. The ships definately have booths in them. In fact, on my last cruise, my wife and I were assisigned to one; that was changed right away (fluffy people we are).

Not a good sight!

Andy

Fluffy and proud of it.

:D

Yes, I thought the booths were pretty tacky, too. I'm in a wheelchair..we were seated at a booth. I asked if we could be moved, and told no. I had to move up to the end, chair and me sticking out in the aisle, on the first night. I deliberately made myself "in the way"...so the host (maitre'D? whoever..) stopped our party on the way out, suggested "perhaps you'd like to be moved to a table, madam??"

You BET I would! They did. But they're still tacky. And when families get in them, the kids love to climb up and hang over the back of their booth, pestering the folks in the next booth..like at a fast-food restaurant. Really unpleasant.

Most PVPs (like yours) have not really cruised that much and are not aware of what is and is not on the ships (unlike the very well informed cruise critic population!) There are DEFINITELY booths in the main diniing room (at least on the ships I have been on) and there is nothing tacky about them? They are quite nice and mostly located around the 'sides' of the room than in the center? with 'etched' glass dividers, nice seats, etc. Not sure why you would be so against a booth? The only reason would be if you are not comfortable in a booth (depending on size, leg issues, etc)...or if you are a large family and don't think it would accommodate all of you?

The booths we encountered on our one Carnival cruise did NOT have "etched glass" dividers. The kids were climbing up on their seats, hanging over the backs of their booth, bothering the folks on the other side. Not nice.

We had a booth (on the Holiday) for our party of 7.. 3 on each side and a chair at the end. if we didnt all know each other it would probably be uncomfortable. this was the only picture icould find..n1123140227_30366658_4647061.jpg

We had an extremely snobnish name dropper share our table one cruise. We were a few minutes late to dinner and she had apparently explained to the waiter how many important people she knew. We asked where our table was and our waiter happened to be there so he showed us to the table. As I went to sit down he asked "Is the arrangement satisfactory your grace?" with a wink. I thought huh? "Yes, thank you." Having lived in many countries when young I have an interesting accent, guess that helped. After that the 'lady' defered to me on everything, for 7 days, it was histerical - if I approved of the hairy chest contest she ranted about it, if I hated it she found it appaling too. The waiter filled me in later - as it happens I share a name that sounds like the name of an aristocratic family in Europe.:D Sh ekept calling me 'princess' and I had to remind her I was mearly a Duchess;).

All the other times have been great matches.

Go meet new people and have fun.

We had an extremely snobnish name dropper share our table one cruise. We were a few minutes late to dinner and she had apparently explained to the waiter how many important people she knew. We asked where our table was and our waiter happened to be there so he showed us to the table. As I went to sit down he asked "Is the arrangement satisfactory your grace?" with a wink. I thought huh? "Yes, thank you." Having lived in many countries when young I have an interesting accent, guess that helped. After that the 'lady' defered to me on everything, for 7 days, it was histerical - if I approved of the hairy chest contest she ranted about it, if I hated it she found it appaling too. The waiter filled me in later - as it happens I share a name that sounds like the name of an aristocratic family in Europe.:D Sh ekept calling me 'princess' and I had to remind her I was mearly a Duchess;).

Now that's funny! :D:D

Yes, I thought the booths were pretty tacky, too. I'm in a wheelchair..we were seated at a booth. I asked if we could be moved, and told no. I had to move up to the end, chair and me sticking out in the aisle, on the first night. I deliberately made myself "in the way"...so the host (maitre'D? whoever..) stopped our party on the way out, suggested "perhaps you'd like to be moved to a table, madam??"

You BET I would! They did. But they're still tacky. And when families get in them, the kids love to climb up and hang over the back of their booth, pestering the folks in the next booth..like at a fast-food restaurant. Really unpleasant.

I don't mean to disagree with you, because you experienced this, not me.

But I find this really, really, really hard to believe. :confused::confused:

Thats what you get when you sit with your mother :D;):D

Archived