D and D+ no longer get special key for the concierge and diamond lounges on Freedom.

So how do you get in? I might not understand what you mean?

Relax though, you still get to use the appropriate lounges based on your C&A level.

But don't go screaming at the concierges or loyalty ambassadors when the key isn't in your stateroom.

Now instead of a special key, the sea pass card for your cabin is programmed with the access codes. No more need to wait for, or carry the extra keys, just use your room key. This was on the Freedom, and started with the 6/6 sailing.

Now if they can program the coupon books on to the room keys, they can get rid of the actual printed coupon books too.:rolleyes:

Relax though, you still get to use the appropriate lounges based on your C&A level.

But don't go screaming at the concierges or loyalty ambassadors when the key isn't in your stateroom.

Now instead of a special key, the sea pass card for your cabin is programmed with the access codes. No more need to wait for, or carry the extra keys, just use your room key. This was on the Freedom, and started with the 6/6 sailing.

Now if they can program the coupon books on to the room keys, they can get rid of the actual printed coupon books too.:rolleyes:

I knew there was more to your subject line.:D

They should be able to do this on all ships that have Concierge Lounges. Sure would save them money issuing those additional cards that they give you for the CL.

Great News! We used to have to carry our cabin key, concierge key, and D lounge key. Many times I tried getting into my cabin using the wrong key. Usually when I was in a hurry to pay the water bill.

Now that is really good news. I wish that would be done on all the ships! I assume that suite guests will also not need the extra keys!

That is correct, suite guests did not need a different key either. The concierge sent letters to the suites stating that the room key was also the C/L key.

Of course, some never read the letter and came storming to the C/L to complain.:rolleyes:

I don't know if other ships started this as well. The Freedom is often a test ship for any changes to operating procedures.

I knew there was more to your subject line.:D

They should be able to do this on all ships that have Concierge Lounges. Sure would save them money issuing those additional cards that they give you for the CL.

I was going to let it smolder a little longer, but too many posts today seemed to show some anger already. I would not want to contribute to any riots.:cool:

Hmm..Maybe a fallout from an incident we saw on in the DL on the INDY Mar '10...Three people where in there the last night of an 8 night cruise that no one had ever seen in there until then..after being served a couple of beers by the bartenders Roxana the DL concierge walked over to them said a few words they showed her a cardkey..a few more words and they all got up and left very quickly..Hmm..So either they found it or a D D+ loaned it to them..Couldn't fool Roxana..;)

So, if I am D+, and I am sharing my non suite cabin with 2 first time cruiser friends, then we ALL get into the lounge?

M

Your room key would be programmed for the C/L. You are allowed to go. I did not ask if non D+ cabin mates could use the lounge also. They are not supposed to. Even after going into the lounge, the Concierge did check to see who the people entering the lounge were.

I don't think the usage policy for the C/L changed, only the key system.

So, if I am D+, and I am sharing my non suite cabin with 2 first time cruiser friends, then we ALL get into the lounge?

M

Since you each would receive your own individual SeaPass cards, yours would be programed because you are D+ but because your friends are first time cruisers theirs would not.

Would you happen to know if a minor's SeaPass card in a suite will gain them access? My son will love going to the CL for hot chocolate without asking me for the key!

I don't know the answer to that one.

Under age is not allowed in the lounge during happy hour. At other times, they are supposed to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

I know this doesn't always happen, but it might be a reason why a minors sea pass card might not work for the C/L. You might have to still "loan" him your key. Just remember, the sea pass can also buy expensive jewelery, arcade time, steak in the MDR, etc.:D Loaning the C/L key was one thing, loaning the sea pass card could induce anxiety attacks.:cool:

I did see unaccompanied minors in the lounge for hot chocolate, etc. in the morning. However, I have no idea what sea pass key they used, sorry.

Under age is not allowed in the lounge during happy hour. At other times, they are supposed to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

I know this doesn't always happen, but it might be a reason why a minors sea pass card might not work for the C/L. You might have to still "loan" him your key. Just remember, the sea pass can also buy expensive jewelery, arcade time, steak in the MDR, etc.:D Loaning the C/L key was one thing, loaning the sea pass card could induce anxiety attacks.:cool:

I did see unaccompanied minors in the lounge for hot chocolate, etc. in the morning. However, I have no idea what sea pass key they used, sorry.

I would have to think that if they are in a suite (CL) they would have access ..Just as a minor that is a D or D+ has access to the DL and or CL...The only time they would be asked to leave is during the cocktail hours...

I would have to think that if they are in a suite (CL) they would have access ..Just as a minor that is a D or D+ has access to the DL and or CL...The only time they would be asked to leave is during the cocktail hours...

I agree, they should have access to the lounges. RCI says they are supposed to be accompanied by an adult when using the lounges. I know they are not always accompanied. I don't even want to argue the logic of the policy. However, since it is RCI's policy, they may not program sea pass cards for minors. Someone that went on the Freedom, with a minor, with lounge privileges would have to answer if the minor's sea pass card was programmed.:)

Whether or not they are asked to leave at times other than the cocktail hours, and having the keys programmed are two different things.

I am glad to see things getting better.

Woody

Hmm..Maybe a fallout from an incident we saw on in the DL on the INDY Mar '10...Three people where in there the last night of an 8 night cruise that no one had ever seen in there until then..after being served a couple of beers by the bartenders Roxana the DL concierge walked over to them said a few words they showed her a cardkey..a few more words and they all got up and left very quickly..Hmm..So either they found it or a D D+ loaned it to them..Couldn't fool Roxana..;)
Funny thing about the Independence. We're D+ and were on the Independence this past February. When we got to our cabin, there was a key to the Diamond lounge but not one for the Concierge lounge.

I assumed they may have changed the rules and we missed the announcement so we just let it go. Near the end of the cruise, we ran into Mario (the guy that always cruises on the Liberty and just celebrated his 300th cruise recently) and he told me I should go to Guest Relations and tell them we never got a key. The guy at Guest Relations apologized and gave me a key to the Concierge lounge immediately.

We went there the last couple evenings. The concierge host came by and introduced himself and asked us why we hadn't been in the lounge earlier. I felt it would be awkward to ask him why he didn't give us a key but now I'm wondering if our sea pass included the key for the concierge lounge. We never did run into any other D+ people those last couple days we were in the Concierge lounge.

Tim

Funny thing about the Independence. We're D+ and were on the Independence this past February. When we got to our cabin, there was a key to the Diamond lounge but not one for the Concierge lounge.

I assumed they may have changed the rules and we missed the announcement so we just let it go. Near the end of the cruise, we ran into Mario (the guy that always cruises on the Liberty and just celebrated his 300th cruise recently) and he told me I should go to Guest Relations and tell them we never got a key. The guy at Guest Relations apologized and gave me a key to the Concierge lounge immediately.

We went there the last couple evenings. The concierge host came by and introduced himself and asked us why we hadn't been in the lounge earlier. I felt it would be awkward to ask him why he didn't give us a key but now I'm wondering if our sea pass included the key for the concierge lounge. We never did run into any other D+ people those last couple days we were in the Concierge lounge.

Tim

I believe they were still giving out a separate key for the C/L in February. The sea pass card being coded for the lounges supposedly started on the 6/6/2010 Freedom cruise. Usually the Concierge host makes sure you get the keys. The Concierge Lounge host misses this a lot for us.

We tend to book so close to sailing that no one on board seems to know we are even there. No C&A books, no robes, etc. until we ask. A lot of times we don't even get a table assignment for the MDR until we ask.:( Booking a day or so before sailing has it's drawbacks. Usually we get everything straightened out the first day.

Archived