Advice on Pre-Cruise & Post Cruise stays.

pratzert

We're on the Sept.17th sailing on Insignia from Vencie to Barcelona.

We're using the "O" airfare out of Dulles Airport. We board the vessel in Venice on the 17th but have no idea what time we arrive so don't know how much time in Venice we will have that day. The ship does not sail until 5pm on the 18th so we assume we'd have time to explore before the ship sails.

Do you think it's worth it to go a day earlier into Venice ?

And we do plan to saty an extra day in Barcelona post cruise. The ship arrives at Barcelona at 4am. So we assume we'd have some time to spend in the city. But we have no idea what the "normal/usual" times are for flights going out of Barcelona to Dulles airport. My wife thinks they depart Barcelona pretty early in the morning so we may not have much time at all the day we deprt to see Barcelona.

So.... in your experiences, what do you suggest we do abotu pre & post cruise stays ?

We want to make the most of the trip, but not add too many days and too many extra dollars to the final tab.

Thanks for the advice.

When we sailed on the Regatta from Venice to Barcelona in 2006, we got on board and relaxed on the first day, then got up early to tour Venice before sailing at 5:00 PM on the second day. If you want to spend extra days before or after the cruise, pay the $100 per person deviation fee. Since we had Oceania air, we paid the deviation fee so we could spend 2 extra days at the Hotel Jazz in Barcelona.

Don

Venice is absolutely breathtaking, wildly historical, fairly accessible and endangered!

Of course it is worth an extra day......in fact it is worth an extra week if you can spare it!

If you can swing it, the Cipriani would be our first choice for a hotel

www.hotelcipriani.com

It's not the most historic, but the amenities are fantastic, which is what you need after looking at history all day.

The Baglioni and the Ca'Segredo are also in the same league.

If you're on a budget, we stayed at the Hotel Al Sole with a wedding party a few years back and thought it quite good. Great location right on the Marina, and the prices are beyond reasonable:

http://hotelalsole.hotelinvenice.com/?source=googleh-hotel+al+sole+venice

Breakfast in their lush garden is something that we still talk about.

If you want to be ON the Grand Canal, we have friends who swear by the Carlton:

http://www.carltongrandcanal.com/en/

The restaurant at the Carlton, La Cupola is very very good, and fairly reasonable.

Naturally, you can book any hotel direct for less than what Oceania would charge you, but then you are left with the headache of organizing everything.

If you're just coming in one day early, I'd be tempted to let Oceania do it, and let them sweat over the details.

If you extend your stay, of course, you do your own transfers, anyway...

:D hope this helped-

It's very smart to fly in at least a day early. When we cruised out of Venice a number of years ago, our luggage didn't make on our flight ...seems Swiss Air had attempted to put it on another flight with a very similar flight number. Luck for us, we had a concierge who had contacts with the airline...did get to us the next day...we had planned for two nights pre-cruise anyway...glad we did.

Venice deserves more than your passing through. It would be a shame to go all that way and then not really experience it. We have stayed at the Bauer Hotel in the past and are booked in November at the Bauer Il Pallazzo prior to our Azamara cruise. Cant beat the location on the Grand Canal.

Likewise for Barcelona which is such a fun city. We have stayed there at the Grand Marina which is bit out of the way but still walkable to Las Ramblas. We stayed once in a hotel right on the Ramblas (cant remember the name ) but it was quite loud at night.

I would definitely try to arrange at least one extra day in each city.

Have a great trip

--------------

Helen

Is our "motto"...1) it is better, IMO, to arrive at least a day early, before the cruise leaves, then you will not have to worry about "missing the boat" AKA ship :D

2) You are flying a long way...and it just makes sense, again IMO, to enjoy the ports you are embarking from and disembarking from!!

3) Barcelona and Venice are incredible cities!! and ones that you could spend a "life-time" exploring!! In Barcelona, we have stayed at the Monte Carlo hotel, right on Las Ramblas, it is a great location and hotel...ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you are concerned about the noise factor...they have a lovely lobby with drinks in the afternoon/evening and breakfast in the AM...but there are plenty of places to go for the above, for less money, if you want to. In Venice...we stayed at the Hotel Monaco, right on the Grand Canal...a fabulous location, right on the canal and across the tiny walk-way from Harry's Bar...a landmark in Venice

Please...we feel that enjoying those "get on -get-off" ports are just as important as the ones on the cruise! I can't tell you how many times we have sailed out of SD (our home) and encountered passengers who didn't come early or stay late to visit our beautiful city! Such a shame...as you are already there!!! Please....go early and stay late!! LuAnn

Thanks for all of the great comments and suggestions.

It sounds like it's a great idea to go in a day early and stay a day late.

We will definately stay a day in Barcelona after we disembark.

I think DW is looking at the Marriott.

She had also looked at the two Hiltons but thought the Marriott was more central.

Thanks again.

There are smaller hotels in better locations in Barcelona, for instance I always suggest Hotel Colon which is a short walk to Las Ramblas. Most flights to the US leave noon or before so you will only have one day in Barcelona which really isnt enough..two would be better.."so much to do so little time.."

Jancruz1

we agree with Jan on Hotel Colon..Barceloan..request room with cathedral view...walking distance to all that is Barcelona ( las ramblas) just an amazing location! I don't think that the

Marriots are located in the main areas in either of these wonderful cities ( I believe they are located at the airports, so do yourselves a wonderful favor and don't do that) ;-)

The hop on hop off bus in Barcelona is great way to see everything in a short time, and Barcelona is the easiest place to do on your own..

Venice too..a walking exploring beautiful city.

Agree with Jim& Stan Cipriana..but you must stay there and pamper for days.. or even worse on the old Vouitton is the Fabulous Gritti..but back to reality...if time is limited the best bet would be to book a hotel in or around ST. Marks square.. there are so many..try Hotel Ala ( it's a Great western, but who knew) ..right near St marks cathedral and gondolas right out the door.. quite reasonable..

We've stayed three times at Locanda Orseolo in Venice. We absolutely love this small, family run hotel. The rooms are lovely and the "family" are amazing. It only has 15 rooms and is on a canal and a 5 minute walk to San Marco. The only problem for some is the lack of an elevator. You'll never have to carry your own luggage since the staff will do that. Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

We've stayed three times at Locanda Orseolo in Venice. We absolutely love this small, family run hotel. The rooms are lovely and the "family" are amazing. It only has 15 rooms and is on a canal and a 5 minute walk to San Marco. The only problem for some is the lack of an elevator. You'll never have to carry your own luggage since the staff will do that. Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

I agree with Joan24, we stayed their last Nov. before our B2B on the Insignia it was lovely and the breakfasts (free) are to die for. It was raining cats and dogs and the wonderful staff helped us and another couple carry our bags to water taxi.

We would stay there again in a heatbeat.

Jill

We liked the Hotel Pulitzer in Barcelona; stayed there a day prior to our Nov 2008 O cruise. It's 1/2 block from Plaza Catalunya, which is at the "head" of Las Ramblas so very convenient.

Free breakfast was included in our package and very tasty.

Another plus: there is an airport bus running directly from BCN to Plaza Catalunya, so we used that and walked the 1/2 block to our hotel. So, our "transfer" ended up costing less than 10 euros for 2 passengers. Nice!!

A littlle "piling on" here, I guess...

My rule is, when cruising in Europe, to ALWAYS arrive at least TWO NIGHTS before the cruise...

It's not just a matter of having the time to see the embarkation city (And Venice is one of the BEST), but it is also a matter of insuring against flight delays, missed connections, lost luggage and all the other things that can go wrong getting there...as well as helping to deal with travel fatigue, jet lag and multiple time zone changes...

We get to Europe and it's pretty hard to feel all gung-ho to go out exploring that first day there...One cruise, we arrived in Istanbul at 10:00 am, got to the Conrad and my wife set "Let me take a quick nap before we go out"...I had to wake her up finally around 7:30 or 8:00 to go get some dinner...

Leave yourself ample time to see Venice...it's a great town...and it's worth also exploring surrounding islands like Burano and Murano...and, of course, so much in Venice itself...

Barcelona is also worth, at a minimum, a couple of days--La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, Las Ramblas, the Barri Gotic, Picasso Museum...Do not shortchange yourself there...

If you really don't want to go overboard budget-wise with all those extra days, there are reasonable ways to deal with it onther than just shortening the trip...

First way is to stay in a "lesser" hotel...I enjoy the 4 and 5 star places...but, at times, if trying to save on the budget, and if you do enough research, you will find some very quaint, local, lesser-priced places that will wiork just fine...

In Venice, we've stayed at the Carlton--and I will vouch for it as well--it was very nice and convenient and right on the Grand Canal...but, we've also saved a little money and stayed at the Capri--owned and run by the Carlton, but OFF the Canal--and we enjoyed that too...Last time, we stayed at a small boutique hotel, the Anastasia, right off Piazza San Marco, next to the Monaco, in the heart of the "action"...17 rooms total and an absolute bargain...

In Barcelona, we've stayed at the Hilton (nice, but inconvenient), the Gran Havana...and, last time, to save a little money and affor a longer stay for the same price, we stayed at the Continental...The Continental is only a 3 star, my wife thought the beds were a little hard and the rooms a little small...but the location is incredible--the best in Barcelona RIGHT ON Las Ramblas, right at the Placa Catalunya...We got a Las Ramblas Balcony room with a balcony right over Las Ramblas--incredible...and the price was VERY reasonable...

I guess what I'm telling you is, rather than only affording an extra night in each of these towns, downgrade your hotel just a little and stay 2 or 3...Do your research over on TripAdvisor.com...a wealth of information and reviews on hotels...

Remember, no extra cost for airfare...you are already there...and eating can be cheap as well...You've eaten well for the entire cruise on the ship, a quick pizza or fast food is okay (If you stay at the Carlton or Capri, just cross the Bridge and walk down the Lista d' Spagna--there are a lot of very reasonably priced eateries with fixed price complete dinners and even outdoor pation seating)...Also a few in the area northeast of San Marco...In Barcelona, eateriesa in all price ranges right along Las Ramblas...

Good luck...

We stayed in Barcelona post cruise this past April at the Hotel Jazz, close to Place Catalunya and Las Ramblas. We were glad we took the extra time to be able to see the city totally. I agree with all the other posters that you should arrive at least a day or two early to avoid unpleasantries

I agree with everyone who advocates more time in these wonderful cities, not the bare minimum. (Of course, the real question is do you have that time available to you?)

On our first trip to Barcelona we had four full days there before our cruise left and while that gave us a good taste of the city, we certainly didn't see everything we wanted to see even then. Just be careful to guard your purse ... and be careful of the scams that bear the name "Barcelona Scams". We've been back twice since then and still haven't seen EVERYthing.

I would never book my hotel through a cruiseline because the costs are so prohibitive. When I see a charge of something like $400pp per night when I can book the room for the two of us for far less than the charge for one person, I cannot do it. It's true that the cruiseline throws in some perks -- usually transfers and at least one city tour, but the price gouging is so egregious that I prefer to book my hotel myself. It's very easy to do these days thanks to the internet.

And you can come here to get reviews ...

We like to go 5-7 days in advance. I don't do particularly well with time zone changes so it takes my body a couple days to acclimatize which is a great excuse to have the luxury of the extra time in the destination. So far we've spent an extra week in Athens and now a week in Rome this fall.

At the back end we do the same but for 4-5 days. Previously we stayed in Istanbul for 4 days and this year 3 days in Venice and then getting on a train for a quick tour of Switzerland.

To lessen the impact on our budget we've been taking the air credits and booking our air with points.

I've also booked starwood points stays in both Athens and Rome at no cost.

Doing it this way makes the $'s stretch further and allows us to stay longer. It's also allowed us to book some excellent tour guides in a few key locations as well.

With two world class cities like Venice and Barcelona I hope you can find a means to enjoy them for a couple of days extra - it will be well worth it IMO.

Enjoy!:D

So.... in your experiences, what do you suggest we do abotu pre & post cruise stays ?

We want to make the most of the trip, but not add too many days and too many extra dollars to the final tab.

Thanks for the advice.

Guest summersbreeze

You are wise to go a day early. We went to Barcelona once to board Oceania and 5 couples were on an overbooked flight and were "bumped" and didn't join the cruise until Lisbon.

Also, you're probably going to be feeling jet lag from the flight and time change.

Barcelona is worth a day or two... buy the 2-day bus pass. Get on and off whenever and wherever... it's our favourite city! So much to see.

Remember - Life is Not a dress rehearsal.... if you're there then take a day or two to explore as you may never get back again... Life's like that at times.

I hope you love Oceania as much as we do!

We're on the Sept.17th sailing on Insignia from Vencie to Barcelona.

We're using the "O" airfare out of Dulles Airport. We board the vessel in Venice on the 17th but have no idea what time we arrive so don't know how much time in Venice we will have that day. The ship does not sail until 5pm on the 18th so we assume we'd have time to explore before the ship sails.

Do you think it's worth it to go a day earlier into Venice ?

And we do plan to saty an extra day in Barcelona post cruise. The ship arrives at Barcelona at 4am. So we assume we'd have some time to spend in the city. But we have no idea what the "normal/usual" times are for flights going out of Barcelona to Dulles airport. My wife thinks they depart Barcelona pretty early in the morning so we may not have much time at all the day we deprt to see Barcelona.

Thanks for the advice.

My favorite place to stay in Venice is the Londra Palace Hotel, just a few steps from St. Mark’s Square and the Doge’s Palace. I love the rooms with balconies to watch the ships arriving and people wandering by. There are gondolas and water taxis at the door and it was easy to get to/from the airport.

Favorite local restaurant is Madonna's for the best fresh fish in town.

Murano is a must see.

I am booked on my first Oceania cruise in August on Insignia, and am looking forward to it from all that I have read on these posts.

We regret that we didn't book pre-and post hotels years ago on our first cruise, which happened to be on Oceania. The cities were Venice and Barcelona. We've never made that mistake again. The small air deviation fee is more than worth paying, and the Oceania people on this board have given you great suggestions for hotels. Have a wonderful time!

We're on the Sept.17th sailing on Insignia from Vencie to Barcelona....

We returned last month from a Venice to Barcelona cruise on Regatta and both cities certainly merit two full days if you can afford the extra time and money. For reasonably-priced lodgings, we used Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo in Venice (our second stay there) and Hotel Jazz in Barcelona, our first visit to Barcelona, a hotel suggested to us by many positive recommendations on the Spanish board of this forum. Both are highly ranked on sister website tripadvisor (I believe #4 and #8, respectively).

I will just reiterate what I and others have already said!

When you book your own air it is only practical to go in a day early. That way you can be PRETTY sure of making the ship.

Back when we took our first Renaissance cruise (Oct 1999) Ren gave us two days in a hotel in Lisbon, and we planned on going in two days before that -- because Lisbon is a favorite of ours.

We'd previously booked a flight to Milan for the same time frame so when we changed the cities on the phone, DH wasn't told that we should physically go in to change the tickets. It was supposedly in the computer.

But when we got to the airport there was no problem rewriting DH's ticket but the computer refused to do mine. By the time it did so, we missed our flight. So we went home and flew out the next day. True, we'd have been okay anyway since Ren gave us the hotel for two days -- but if we'd been aiming to board the ship the next day, we'd have been out of luck.

But also -- when you have major cities as your departure and arrival points, don't you want to see more of them than a bus ride to the airport? i sure do!

My personal feeling is that even two days in these particular cities is not enough -- not unless you've been there before which puts a different complexion on it. We've been to Barcelona four times now and STILL have not seen half of what we could ...

It does depend on what your budget is and what your time frame is. If you only have a two week vacation, and the cruise is 14 days, clearly you can't spend time in these cities. But what a pity that is!

But if you DO have the time and the budget, by all means come in early and go home late ... you will have time to relax before and after the cruise if nothing else! I do realize that people who are still working have a different problem ...

I was very lucky in MY job: I told them when i was coming in and when I wasn't, and if I wanted to take a month's vacation I could. My husband could frequently work in a business trip in Europe to give him extra time there.

I didn't get vacation pay for more than 2 or 3 weeks, but I could take the time. Most people don't have that luxury until they are retired, I know!

But I always will advocate that if you CAN you should come in early and stay late. Most especially if you are booking your own air. One day is usually sufficient if you only want to make sure that you don't "miss the boat" ... but 2-3 is better if you want to see a major city.

Thank you to everyone for all your comments and suggestions.

We ultimately ended up taking the credit from "O" for our airfare and arranged our own and saved $556 per person.

We are still going into Venice the day "O" had us going is, which is not early. But... the ship stays in port that day and does not sail until 5PM the next day so we should get in some sight seeing.

I wish we could have gone in a day or two earlier to Venice becasue many, many people I speak to, say if they had any extra time to spend... it would be in Venice.

Unfortunately, I am limited to vacation time and just cannot extent the trip any longer since we did arrange to stay two extra days in Barcelona since it is over the weekend and won't cause me to miss any more time from work.

My DW is looking to book the hotel in Barcelona and I'll let you all know which one she gets.

Now we just have to set up some "private" tours in some of the ports.

I am a complete noob at the private tour thing, and will start by looking at the "PORTS" sub-forum for guidance.

Thanks again......

Check out the roll call for your cruise - you might that someone's already done the leg work and is looking for others to join them - have a great cruise! :cool:

Now we just have to set up some "private" tours in some of the ports.

I am a complete noob at the private tour thing, and will start by looking at the "PORTS" sub-forum for guidance.

Thanks again......

Check out the roll call for your cruise - you might that someone's already done the leg work and is looking for others to join them - have a great cruise! :cool:

Thanks... I did exchange messages with someone who is looking into tours. I am greatful that there are so many experienced "O" cruiser on the forum.

I am so looking forward to this cruise.

We had our cruise from June 5th to June 17th and we started in Venice. We arrived in Venice on June 3rd, and we had a wonderful time there. Venice is magical, it was my wife's and my favorite of all the places we visited. So, should you stay an extra night or two in Venice? Absolutely.

We stayed at the Oceania cruise hotel, Hilton Molino Stucky, and found it to be very nice. Very modern and enjoyable. It is not near St. Mark's Square, so you will have to figure out the transfer times for the hotel boat that runs to St. Mark's (basically one every hour and the morning boats get crowded so make sure to allow an extra 5 or 10 minutes before departure time), or you can take the vaporetto boats, which we did several times also.

I cannot speak to Barcelona since we did not go there. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived