Med cruise price reduction

Emma1

Per person, WOW :eek:

Supply versus demand, with one ship I guess supply is far exceeding demand. Pretty interesting this far out and price is already dropping, says a lot either about the attraction of the mouse or the port lineup ??

I just got notified by my travel agent that my 11 nt med booking for 7/11 had a price drop from Disney - almost $1700. What's going on? This is great.:o

Per person, WOW :eek:

Supply versus demand, with one ship I guess supply is far exceeding demand. Pretty interesting this far out and price is already dropping, says a lot either about the attraction of the mouse or the port lineup ??

There's a lot of ships in the Med. Some lines are considering reducing their presence in the Med because the Brits are Med-ed-out and Americans had less interest because of the travel expense and the (previously) bad exchange rate to the Euro. It looks like this has hit DCL also.

I also think it may be because it is Disney. Many people go to the Med without children and try to pick a cruise that will not have a lot of children. To them Disney=children and lots of them. The itinerary is not what a first time Med cruiser would pick. My first time to the Med I wanted Venice, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos along with Rome, Naples and Florence. Some of the ports on the Magic's itinerary most people have never heard of. But the unusual itinerary and low price is why DH and I went on the Magic last month. We decided to put up with all the kids ( and there were over 900 of them) and give the Magic a try. We had a wonderful time and DH even said he would love to do that itinerary again but this was our 5th Med cruise and we were looking for ports we hadn't been to yet. For anyone who loves Disney they will sail on Disney no matter where she goes but for others they will think twice just because it is Disney.

It was not per person but the total reduction. We are 5 in two secret porthole rooms. We were originally booked this summer for the baltic cruise but it got too expensive - so we switched to 2011 med. Hopefully my family will enjoy it. For those those you that have gone - it sounds like a lot a traveling to the main cities off the ports can be a pain. Any suggestions to make it non stressful and inexpensive would be appreciated:o.

IMHO the Disney port line up have been less then perfect but that is just probably my personal taste.

As to the exchange, given where it is at the moment and I doubt that Europe will come roaring back Europe hasn't look this cheap for a long long long time. Of course the Brits with this whole BP thing are feeling possibly a lot of pain. If what I'm reading is true the US Goverment could really take BP to the cleaners with this seperate fund and all but erase the golden dividends that so many depend on. So brits yes, US very odd as the Mouse has some strange fasicinations for is Americans. I always hope DIsney is sailing where I want to go but alas with just two ships they never seem to.

There's a lot of ships in the Med. Some lines are considering reducing their presence in the Med because the Brits are Med-ed-out and Americans had less interest because of the travel expense and the (previously) bad exchange rate to the Euro. It looks like this has hit DCL also.

It doesn't help that the 10 and 11-night Med itinerary in 2011 is the same as in 2010. You won't get many DCL repeaters that way. Even though now is a good time for Americans to be traveling in Europe, airfares have been going up, and it's quite expensive for a family to fly to Europe for a cruise.

IMHO the Disney port line up have been less then perfect but that is just probably my personal taste.

As to the exchange, given where it is at the moment and I doubt that Europe will come roaring back Europe hasn't look this cheap for a long long long time. Of course the Brits with this whole BP thing are feeling possibly a lot of pain. If what I'm reading is true the US Goverment could really take BP to the cleaners with this seperate fund and all but erase the golden dividends that so many depend on. So brits yes, US very odd as the Mouse has some strange fasicinations for is Americans. I always hope DIsney is sailing where I want to go but alas with just two ships they never seem to.

I don't know what ports you may have preferred but I think that because DCL isn't a regular in the Med, they might not be able to get into some popular ports on the days that they want.

Hi

Thanks for this thread. It made me look at the prices for the August Cruises. Although we only just got off the ship! Got a great price $999 each (£676). slightly less for our daugher.

OK GTY12, but I wouldn't be able to get a cruise with many other companies in the UK for 10 nights that would compare to the DCL standard for that money! I don't think you could stay 10 days in the UK for that full board with entertainment!

Didn't include flights, but a couple of budget lines go from us to Barcelona, so not a problem.

Thanks!

Kate

Naples? I think any Med cruise that doesn't include that port is a wise move.

Do I take it you didn't like Naples? Or are you saying that you did?

Pompeii, Herculanum, Sorrento, Capri, all doable from Naples and we have done them!

Kate

Archived