Adding sequins to a plain dress

I want to buy a sequined dress with an A-line skirt that covers the knees. The bodice is going to have short sleeves on the shoulders and a shallow scoop neckline. When I did searches for dresses like this, I discovered I can't have it both ways: either get one that does not cover my chest and shoudlers or get one that is all one color with no patterns or sequins. I looked so long at so many websites I give up trying to find something that matches all of my criteria. It looks obvious what I need to do is buy a plain dress in the style I prefer, then have a seamstress add different color sequins in a fancy pattern. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I order a custom-made dress instead?

Depends. What is the price range you are looking at? (That is including the cost of having the sequins put on) The labor involved in this kind of work will not be cheap but if you are willing to spend around the 200 price range I can recommend a website.

Sewing on sequins is not difficult (If you can sew on a button....)but time-consuming (read: May be expensive to have someone else do it). Might be something you want to try on a purchased dress yourself. It's a good way to spend some quality time in front of the TV (just try not to stab your significant other! ;)). My favorite method is the seed-bead method in the first link.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-sew-on-sequins

http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/sewinginfo/dfsewinghints/lace-sewing.htm

Please note: I give this advice while not living with cats, lap dogs, and small children. :)

Now I'm going to age myself, but I can remember being able to buy sequins by the yard, already sewen on a backing material. If you could outline a design by using chalk that can be removed with a damp cloth and try to add the sequins. It sounds like fun, work but fun. I would love to see a photo when you're finished.

Now I'm going to age myself, but I can remember being able to buy sequins by the yard, already sewen on a backing material. If you could outline a design by using chalk that can be removed with a damp cloth and try to add the sequins. It sounds like fun, work but fun. I would love to see a photo when you're finished.

You still can find these in many places; online and in some fabric stores.

Sounds expensive!

There are LOTS of "evening appropriate" dresses. Are you totally stuck on sequins? I'm betting you can find something "off the rack" to suit you in the next 2 years!

If sequins are not on it, there better be a fancy pattern. I can't even find that in a formal, modest-cut dress online. You would think with so many dresses out there, something - anything - was available on the rack.

Depends. What is the price range you are looking at? (That is including the cost of having the sequins put on) The labor involved in this kind of work will not be cheap but if you are willing to spend around the 200 price range I can recommend a website.

No thanks. I was only planning on spending $200 max for the dress itself.

OK, here is another idea: What if I found lace and asked the seamstress to attach it to the skirt? I have seen dresses with double-layer skirts online.

Lace is possible. I have just customised a skirt for a friend using pale green lace for a pale green pencil skirt which finished at knee length. She wanted a Spanish look so I cut out one circle of lace with a hole the circumference of the skirt and a drop equal to the length to her ankle and a second shorter circle with a hole again the circumference of the skirt. I placed the shorter frill over the longer one and sewed them both to the edge of the skirt - and voila, a tight fitted skirt with 2 spanish flamenco frills on the bottom. We added a wide belt made from the same lace and job done. Took 15 minutes. Anything is possible so have a go!

I'm a jewelry/costume designer as a hobby and deal with crystals, fringe sequins etc. Trust me it would take me at least 6-8 months(2-3 hours a day sewing) to complete sequins and crystals on a dress.(fingers hurt just thinking about it) It has to be hand sewn. If you want to take on that project good luck. Cost and materials $100-200 sometimes more depending on fabric choice.. But you can always ask a seamstress to whip something up for you in less time. Ever wonder why embellished dresses are expensive the work that goes into them.

As I can be cheap and stylish

I would go to a bridal store and look at brides maid or mother of the bride dresses. Some stores like Davids Bridal have 99.00 sample sales from time to time. And dresses go on sale after New Years. I don't pay over 200.00 for a dress anyhow. Burlington Coat Factory has some nice evening dresses for 50.00 (lots of sequins) You got lots of time to find a dress.

Alrana

That sounds like a great idea to alter a dress you like. You could even do it yourself. You might want to look at the interesting iron-ons at a large craft store like Jo-Ann's - try the altered t-shirts aisle. If you use an iron-on, definitely use a press cloth so you don't melt anything.

Good luck!

sequinbeads.jpg

You can get beaded appliques at any high end fabric store, in tons of colors. Seems like WAY less work to me! :D I can't wait to see a photo!

Beaded appliques would be simpler if you can find something you like. But I would hand sew them on...the fabric of most dresses these days will not hold up to the heat needed to get an applique to stick. Plus, sequins melt rather easily themselves.

Maybe these aren't exactly what you're looking for, or your size, but found them on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sequin%20gown&_dmd=1&_dmpt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_vc=1&Sleeve%2520Style=3%252F4%2520Sleeve%7CCap%2520Sleeve%7CLong%2520Sleeve

Maybe you will like one? Many that were sequined, multi-colored, etc, and all with sleeves of some sort...

Acknowledge I'm talking "ancient history" here, but in 2001, I found a simple short-sleeved a-line black dress to take on 1st cruise, wore it embellished with jewelry. Next yr, after Xmas, found a black silk cardigan sweater embellished with black bead trim along the collar, placket and cuffs, perfect to make dressier and much less expensive and/or time-consuming than discussed. Have no idea if similar is available, but it worked for me! Good luck!

Archived