Age requirement for children to occupy own cabin

Mercury

Am I right that children may only occupy their own cabin if there is at least one child 18 years or older? In other words if there are two children aged 16 and 14, I presume that they would not be able to occupy their own cabin even if they are adjacent to their parents cabin? I am specifically asking iro Celebrity.

Am I right that children may only occupy their own cabin if there is at least one child 18 years or older? In other words if there are two children aged 16 and 14, I presume that they would not be able to occupy their own cabin even if they are adjacent to their parents cabin? I am specifically asking iro Celebrity.

Technically no, they won't..but here's the work-around. You book the two cabins with one parent in each, with one child. You board the ship and register just as you've booked -- one parent, one child, in two cabins. Once on board, you go to the purser's desk and ask for extra keys for each cabin..

and then sleep wherever you wish. Meaning, the children can have their cabin, you have yours, you have access to theirs. No one cares, no one does "bed checks".

Good to know - I hope to take my niece and nephew on a cruise in the very near future - I know DH doesn't really want to share a cabin with my nephew!

You do know that if you're taking along children who is not your own, you need letters from their parents giving you permission, plus letters giving you permission to get him health care, emergency treatment, all that?

They really don't care who sleeps where....that "parent in a room with a child" is simply for booking purposes....they want to make sure that adults haven't just booked a bunch of kids on a cruise alone...

There are big families that would need 3 cabins say, 2 parents and 6 kids...so 1 adult in each room isn't going to work, yet they ARE able to book!

Rules also differ from one cruiseline to the next. Some will let you book a connecting room with kids older than 14 without an adult- some have to have one adult per room regardless. It's best to call the cruiseline and ask them specifically. Our cruiseline requires one adult per room, but we will be doing as the above poster stated and switching around our sleeping arrangements once onboard.

Actually, Celebrity's policy specifically exempts minor children traveling with their parents in an adjacent cabin. From the website:

"No guest under the age of 21 will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms. "

I know that often the cruise line phone agents say that parents must split their booking with a parent in each cabin. however, if they are traveling with their own children (not their children's friends) and booking adjacent cabins--I'd imagine that means right next to and preferably connecting, not down the hall or even across the hall, but I'm not positive--then the children can be booked in their own cabin and none of the "trade places, get new sea passes once onboard, etc." stuff has to happen.

As noted though, different cruise lines have different policies and not all allow this. I suspected Celebrity does simply because I know that RCI does.

beachchick

beachchick is correct, as long as you book the kids in a cabin next to or across from the parents and link the bookings you can book the kids in their own cabin. We have been doing this on RC for a number of years (they have same rules as Celebrity). It makes it so much simpler to have everyone assigned to the correct cabin from the start. Once on board get an extra set of keys so you can have access to their cabin and them yours if you wish (we do so they can get us if needed). Of course, you don't need to do this right away so can wait for the initial lines at guest services to die down.

Archived