"gifts" for cabin stewards, etc?

These crew members live in very tight quarters and have very little room in their cabin for trinkets. Of course they are going to act appreciative if you give them something because that is what they have to do......smile and act pleased. They most likely do not care about a gift from your hometown. They are working on a cruise ship to support their families back home. Be sensible folks....cash is the best thing you can give them.

Think about this......would you be pleased if your boss gave you a baseball cap, key chain, or tee shirt as your bonus for doing a good job? Wouldn't you rather have a cash bonus???

Please don't be one of the "trinketeers".

I was thinking the same thing. The gift I gave our cabin attendent was extra cash during and at the end of the cruise (we prepay gratuities) for keeping our wine nicely chilled and the other little extras. In addition we singled him out by name for praise on our guest survey. (we also pointed out one waiter for less than stellar service also.)

One year when we took a cruise the day after Christmas I brought home baked cookies for our cabin attendent. Didn't matter if she celebrates Christmas or not, cookies are something she could enjoy herself and share with others or toss out if she doesn't like sweets.

Maybe it's because I'm a mom of a preschooler, so we're always hearing about unwrapped food being a no-no. So I can't imagine any staff member eating a homemade product or opened bottle of anything. How do they know it isn't spoiled or made of something they're allergic to? Wrapped candy or cookies is one thing, but I would question whether they would risk it.

I'm probably going to regret this in the morning, but I'm going to stop lurking on this thread and step right into the fray - because, really, what could be more fun at midnight?! :) As Canadians originally from India, my husband and I have had many conversations with Indian crew members who were happy to hear the mother tongue from passengers.

Often, our conversations have centred on their hopes and aspirations for when they return home. All send a good portion of their wages home to support family - ie. help educate younger siblings, see to their marriages, etc. The vast majority are also saving for their own futures, many wanting to finish degrees upon their return and a surprising number wanting to open up their own business. While all gifts, be they chocolates, momento's, phone cards, or t-shirts are given with the best of intentions, please, when you're about to spend $5 on a keychain or shirt from back home, remember that $5 American will equal 250 Indian rupees (or 300 on the 'black' ;).) My point is that a few dollars to us translates into a lot more back in the crew member's country of origin, wherever that might be. The American and Canadian dollar is king in their country - it really is the best gift one can give.

So, the next time you want to add a $3 key chain as a token along with the $20 you've already got earmarked for the crew member, maybe rethink the key chain and make it an even $23....er I guess odd. For those who say they ask the crew members what they might need from port, good for you for making it personal to that individual, rather than picking up something generic that may or may not apply. After two decades of receiving coffee mugs from students ( I must be the only teacher who doesn't drink coffee!), or boxes of chocolates that get left in the staff room to be enjoyed by the rest of the staff because I'm a freak of nature who doesn't love chocolate, etc, ( and please know I love my students for their generosity, but feel badly that I can't always use what they give me), I make my own children give Timmy's gift cards to their teachers ( take note Canadians, ALL teachers love Timmy's gift cards, even the ones who don't drink coffee :D) . My kids think it's the most boring thing ever, but I notice their teachers smiling rather appreciatively. Actually, the best gift you can bestow on your child's teacher won't cost you a penny - an email of appreciation cc'd to the principal. Ok, time for bed, gettin' waaaay off tangent here.

Thank You!

I was born in India, but I have lived here most of my life. I travel to India to visit my parents family. Sometimes some of the comments referring to third world countries just steams me. People forget that they are people, too with needs and wants just like us.

I have always wanted to say what you did, but these boards get pretty heated quickly. You said it best.

What does anyone think about itunes gift cards? Are they able to download with the slow wifi on board? Does staff have personal computers and ipods? Is it good to give a small gift at the beginning of the cruise to set the right tone, or to be honest, to suck up?

Being a cruise newbie - do I have to let the ship (NCL Jade) know in advance that I will do cash tips as opposed to the automatic gratutities?

Thanks!!

Meghan

When we were below Platinum status in RCCL, I would tip the stateroom attendant on day 1 and request bath robes. Yes, it's sucking up, but I like to have my bathrobe :)

We always prepay tips and then usually give extra at the end of the cruise. Unless we have to suck up ;)

If someone gave me a toothbrush ... I'd wonder if they were trying to tell me something.

I would not appreciate it.

I would also not be happy at all, I find it rather insulting.

Only once did we give something tangible over the prepaid + extra tips.

We had won some boxes of Godiva during a raffle. No way am I taking back home Godiva (I live a 5-minute walk from the Godiva-factory) so we gave it to the stateroom attendant and said he could eat it or give it to someone who likes it (he told us he was so going to eat it himself, lol).

Cash is just so much easier, and I think more appreciated.

i appreciate it when I am paid in money instead of stuff, I imagine the same counts for the crew.

One year when we took a cruise the day after Christmas I brought home baked cookies for our cabin attendent. Didn't matter if she celebrates Christmas or not, cookies are something she could enjoy herself and share with others or toss out if she doesn't like sweets.

Maybe it's because I'm a mom of a preschooler, so we're always hearing about unwrapped food being a no-no. So I can't imagine any staff member eating a homemade product or opened bottle of anything. How do they know it isn't spoiled or made of something they're allergic to? Wrapped candy or cookies is one thing, but I would question whether they would risk it.

Homemade cookies. Really? :confused: Would you eat a homemade item from some random person you don't know? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Do they even allow you to bring such items onboard?

megessey - I sooo agree with you. We're even told to throw out these types of things in the Halloween candy.

YAY RAVENS!!!

Homemade cookies. Really? :confused: Would you eat a homemade item from some random person you don't know? I sure as heck wouldn't.

megessey - I sooo agree with you. We're even told to throw out these types of things in the Halloween candy.

YAY RAVENS!!!

Not everyone is as psycho about home made foods as some Americans. :rolleyes:

Not so much about 'homemade' as it is about 'homemade' from someone you don't know.

I've seen some pretty funky kitchens belonging to people I do know. I don't want any 'homemade' items from them either.

We eat in restaurants with even funkier kitchens without knowing, I'm sure. I've eaten food around the world from unknown sources and haven't gotten sick yet. I will continue to take my risks.

I've had crew share food from "behind" with me, too. Opened. From other countries. I guess some of us are willing to take our chances. And since crew are people, too, some of them like taking chances with gifted food. It can break the monotony of the crew mess.

Just my thought even though I don't bring home made food other than by request. :)

Gina

So let's review. Items that have been met with a poor or mixed response:

Toothbrushes

Chocolate

Candy

Trinkets

Homemade Cookies

Toiletries

Phone Cards

iTunes Cards

Bottles of wine

Specialty coffees

Items that have been met with a 100% positive response:

CASH!!!!

Items that may or may not have been thrown in the trash by the room steward within seconds of either smiling, saying thank you, giving a hug, or jumping up and down with glee:

Toothbrushes

Chocolate

Candy

Trinkets

Homemade Cookies

Toiletries

Phone Cards

iTunes Cards

Bottles of wine

Specialty coffees

Items that were most definitely NOT thrown in the trash by the room steward at any time ever:

CASH!!!

Now, let's continue to beat this dead horse. Thank you!

YAY RAVENS!!!

People eat homemade food all the time around the world in churches and social clubs, made by people they don't know. Pot luck dinners are popular everywhere and it's unlikely all the people in the church/club know each other or have been in the kitchens of those who bring the food.

Yes, you can bring food on board. Some port stops may have restrictions but cookies, cakes, candy is certainly allowed to be brought on a ship.

Gina

So let's review. Items that have been met with a poor or mixed response:

Toothbrushes

Chocolate

Candy

Trinkets

Homemade Cookies

Toiletries

Phone Cards

iTunes Cards

Bottles of wine

Specialty coffees

Items that have been met with a 100% positive response:

CASH!!!!

Items that may or may not have been thrown in the trash by the room steward within seconds of either smiling, saying thank you, giving a hug, or jumping up and down with glee:

Toothbrushes

Chocolate

Candy

Trinkets

Homemade Cookies

Toiletries

Phone Cards

iTunes Cards

Bottles of wine

Specialty coffees

Items that were most definitely NOT thrown in the trash by the room steward at any time ever:

CASH!!!

Now, let's continue to beat this dead horse. Thank you!

Excellent summary.

(In my own defense - I was preparing a box of cookies for DH for the trip and decided to prepare a second box. What she did with it after it passed from my hand to hers was of no concern to me. Who knew I was creating an international incident. :rolleyes:)

Excellent summary.

(In my own defense - I was preparing a box of cookies for DH for the trip and decided to prepare a second box. What she did with it after it passed from my hand to hers was of no concern to me. Who knew I was creating an international incident. :rolleyes:)

If what she does with the cookies is of no concern to you, then what's the point? That's taking the joy of giving far too literally. I've always been taught to be thoughtful of the recipient at all times. If you honestly don't care what she does, that tells me you don't care much about her feelings when receiving the cookies. An international incident? Hardly. But it becomes clear the exchange is about the giver and not the receiver.

ETA: Forgot to mention, we simply tip a few bucks extra, offer a small and a "thank you."

I am sure they are beautiful, but again - what are they going to do with gifts like this in a room where there is limited space. Sure, your pen is small, but others' gift ideas are not necessarily small as that.

Besides, they probably wouldn't use the pen in the MDR because they would be afraid of losing it - so, this gift sits unused in a room where space is precious.

It's a wonderful sweet idea, but so very impractical - as are all the nice thoughts pax have about special gifts for the staff.

Really :confused:

YAY RAVENS!!!

I guess it depends upon where you live. One night afer 10:30pm I heard a guy in my driveway talking loudly ( I live in the country) so I went and peeked out the front door. This man, who I had never seen before was shouting that he was out of gas and just waiting there in the driveway for his wife. I thanked him for letting me know and then went and woke up my husband who put on a pair of jeans, went out in the rain with a gas can and helped the guy out. The following night, a bit earlier but after dark this huge guy shows up at my front door and I recognise him from the night before. He brought a plate of homemade cookies ( made by him, not his wife) as a thankyou for helping him out the night before. Not only did we eat the cookies from the person we had never met before - I let my children eat them, and we didnt die. In some parts of the country we still treat people as human beings. It doesn't mean that we are foolish or neglect our own safety, its just a different world I guess.

I too, always give extra cash to those that go above and beyond... we encountered excellent service from a few people that stood out on our last cruise.. I had mentioned to one of them that they would get my "wow" card.. but was told "forgot the wow card, it stands out more if you actually write my name on your survey".. this surprised me! I thought they would have gotten more recognition from the Wow card? I did end up using the comment section to call out each of these people by name - and I hope they get rewarded for it! :D

Cash is wonderful - but $20.00 is a 20 dollar tip and $23.00 is a 23 dollar tip. Cash is cash and not a "gift"

A gift is a token of appreciation. But if you do not know your recipent well enough to give them something that they will like or use, it really isn't a "gift" it is really more of an obligation.

If you want to bother to get to know your steward or waiter or your kid's teacher or whomever enough to select a gift for them -- that is great for you. Go for it. If you feel an "obligation" to gift them -- give them cash.

For everyone if you appreciate what someone else has done, tell them -- in person, or in a note, or however. And while you are at it tell their superior that you appreciate the hard work that they did for you.

It really is the "thought"

Cash is wonderful - but $20.00 is a 20 dollar tip and $23.00 is a 23 dollar tip. Cash is cash and not a "gift"

A gift is a token of appreciation. But if you do not know your recipent well enough to give them something that they will like or use, it really isn't a "gift" it is really more of an obligation.

If you want to bother to get to know your steward or waiter or your kid's teacher or whomever enough to select a gift for them -- that is great for you. Go for it. If you feel an "obligation" to gift them -- give them cash.

For everyone if you appreciate what someone else has done, tell them -- in person, or in a note, or however. And while you are at it tell their superior that you appreciate the hard work that they did for you.

It really is the "thought"

Isn't a tip the same thing?

If what she does with the cookies is of no concern to you, then what's the point? That's taking the joy of giving far too literally. I've always been taught to be thoughtful of the recipient at all times. If you honestly don't care what she does, that tells me you don't care much about her feelings when receiving the cookies. An international incident? Hardly. But it becomes clear the exchange is about the giver and not the receiver.

ETA: Forgot to mention, we simply tip a few bucks extra, offer a small and a "thank you."

Geez Louise, I forget how literal minded people on message boards can be. Does anyone have a shovel I can use?

I put it that way because I have a BIL who never really gives a gift (he seems to have strings attached to anything he gives.) I meant it as a way of sharing our holiday but as has been pointed out to me, quite bluntly on here, that some folks would rather starve than consume homemade goods from a stranger, I cannot control what happens to it after it leaves my hands.

This really is being made out to be a much bigger issue than it is/should be. Cash is, of course, best. But some people like to give little things in addition to...it's really not a big deal either way, if you ask me. Everyone arguing cash is the only way to go...I agree, but on the other hand, I know that the crew appreciates little gifts sometimes as well. I personally wouldn't bother with gifts, but it's up to you, obviously. Bottom line...really not a big deal either way. Do what you feel works best.

My dad makes beautiful wooden pens with gold inlays. I give those out to the head waiter, our waiter, cruise director and steward. Who couldn't use a beautiful pen? I do this in addition to tipping.

This is a very practical and yet sweet gift! Those positions all need pens and I can attest being in a service field - you can never find one! So a very nice, special homemade pen is a cool gift!

I am of the opinion that anything other than cash is rather disingenuous.

I agree with you.

If what she does with the cookies is of no concern to you, then what's the point? ... If you honestly don't care what she does, that tells me you don't care much about her feelings when receiving the cookies. ... But it becomes clear the exchange is about the giver and not the receiver.

Exactly.

I am sure those who give out trinkets mean well. But I seriously doubt more then 10% of those gifts given to people they hardly know hit the right spot.

It's hard enough to get the right gift for people you know well. Now when you are thoroughly enjoying coming up with gift ideas for stewards who are complete strangers you have never met, likely never visited their home countries, don't even know if they will be male or female, and have to ask on a cruise board what to get them, you realize it's really not about them, but about youself.

If you truly want to give them something they will surely appreicate, do what another poster said, convert that $3 keychain to $3 extra cash. Because remember, it should be about them. Not about you or your feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Archived