"gifts" for cabin stewards, etc?

What does anyone think about itunes gift cards? Are they able to download with the slow wifi on board? Does staff have personal computers and ipods?

Like any other group of folks, I would imagine some have computers/ipods etc. and some don't. Now I am quite confident that they all could use extra cash.

We leave tips on cruise card, give extra cash. I carry some little trinkets from Oriental trading to pass out during cruise. theym ust want them as I will end up with a lot lined up at times or seeking me out to ask for another.Extra thanks to those who are not assigned to me but add to my cruise.

Of course they will gush and act terribly appreciative of any little trinket no matter how dumb that passengers might give them in order to feel good about themselves but they really want and need a favorable review and pieces of green paper with pictures of dead presidents on them. Then they can purchase the toiletries they prefer, not the ones you feel they should use, the phone cards that work for them and all the cheap t-shirts and ball caps they want.

It's a nice gesture, but I agree that most of the staff do not really want to collect "stuff" from the passengers they serve. They appreciate the extra tips, and the personal notes of thanks, especially if it indicates that you are passing along favorable feedback about them on your comment cards. Those things really help them out.

Just think of the teachers in grade school - small trinkets multiplied by 30 students in each class.

Now take a cruise ship - where the pax change every week - say 20 cabins each cruise times 52 weeks. Where would they put 1040 trinkets a year?

You don't know what they need - whether they eat candy - whether they phone home - whether they wear caps - whether they wear perfume - whether they drink alcolhol.

Then you have the problem of what kinds of caps, what kind of candy, what kind of phone card, what kind of perfume, what kind of alcohol.

Do them the greatest favor and give them the most useful gift of all - CASH.

And a note to management about the excellent care you received. If they get any bad reviews, your extra effort to explain what an excellent employee he/she is may offset the bad review.

CASH - Always the right size, shape, color - always appreciated.

I can't imagine giving them "momentos" of your hometown. Why in the world would they want that? Say you spent $15 on a hometown cap. Imagine that $15 buying food for their table or clothes for their children.

Your heart is in the right place, now think it through to my 1040 trinkets total.

One of you gave your wait staff hats? Another of you gave the waiter a nickname?

Are you serious?

I don't know what the guy does about the nickname, but I'll bet the hats go right in the trash.

and you are replying to a 3 year old posting?

things do change.

I agree with the majority CASH.

Also, putting names on comment cards, writing a thank you note (and/or WOW card) and an actual letter and/or emaiol of praise and giving it to guest services or sending it to corporate.

We have, when we know taht we will be going to a drugstore type of place n port, offered to pick up items for crew. Only one person ever took us up on it, but he seemed really grateful--we got him a specific brand of shampoo and soap and also gum.

I would not bring trickets--or even personal care tems--most people are picky about brands.

I agree with cash and comments. But crew are people, too. There are different personalities and some REALLY like "things" in addition to the top 2 of cash and comments.

Some like food - something unique that isn't available on the ship. We'll find a sneaky way of finding out what they like to eat. Then when you give it to them they might dig in right then and there if possible or they will save it for later and you still might see them eating it.

Others will buy extra luggage to take home the loot they collect. Yes, there are known hoarders on board. :) I won't give things to just anyone. Again you need to know your subject. And you can tell if they really want something or not.

Some of them LOVE RCI logo stuff. When I give it away I am sure to write a note explaining that it's a gift so in case a superior finds out they have stuff that goes to the passengers, they will have proof that nothing was done wrong.

Since I don't want to collect glass blocks from ships I haven't been on, I've given away a couple of duplicates, rather than trade with C&A members. And yes, I know the recipients definitely wanted them.

Again, I wouldn't just give anything to anyone without having an idea. If there is a married couple on board, you can ask the spouse of one what the other one likes. That has also worked well for us.

But I will emphasize that no gift ever takes the place of cash first, comments second.

This is how I see it.

Gina

Stop the madness people! They really don't want your cookies, brownies, or hometown keychains.

Money, money, money, ... that's what they want.

Not true. They do want money. But....I was asked to bring an organic carrot cake once when cruising from a local port. I did. People like to eat what they can't get on the ship.

I know one person who loves any kind of nut brittle. So when we are on his ship we will buy the local peanut or cashew brittle at various ports and bring it back for him. (different countries make it completely different) He eats it immediately. He is also tipped for services provided.

I know of one woman who collects plates from various countries and if she can't go get one, she likes people to bring them to her. I saw her ask someone on facebook to get her one from a particular country.

I would guess there is a crew member somewhere who collects keychains although I wouldn't just give them one without knowing.

Some collect magnets since they don't take much space. Some get shot glasses. I just wouldn't hand this stuff out randomly.

It's funny how old threads come back.

Gina

I'm sure you are right ... that some crew want certain things, but to ASSUME that they would want your HOMEMADE cookies, cakes, or hometown keychains, whatever ... ridiculous.

To the poster who said "things change" ... not so much the size of the crew's cabins.

I'm sure you are right ... that some crew want certain things, but to ASSUME that they would want your HOMEMADE cookies, cakes, or hometown keychains, whatever ... ridiculous.

To the poster who said "things change" ... not so much the size of the crew's cabins.

That's why I said you should know your subject.

I wouldn't assume anything. I just wouldn't make a blanket statement that they want nothing but cash. I also wouldn't give them anything instead of cash.

I only made something once...on request.

Gina

That's why I said you should know your subject.

I wouldn't assume anything. I just wouldn't make a blanket statement that they want nothing but cash. I also wouldn't give them anything instead of cash.

I only made something once...on request.

Gina

The 'assume' comment wasn't directed at you. ;)

Has anyone given any small gifts to their cabin steward or waiter? If so, what types of things do these employees seem to like best? I know on Disney, candy was a popular gift (for some reason the employees did not have access if I remember).

If you're thinking about giving your servers/attendant a present, do whatever you feel is appropriate and don't let people here sway you one way or another on what YOU feel is appropriate to your situation - even my comments.

Staff as so appreciative for anything. We had a bottle of wine in our stateroom from our TA on my first cruise that we didn't want and so we asked out attendant if she would like it, and she was very grateful and accepted it.

Other times we have simply given cash or cash and a gift.

Tooth brushes? For real? I don't understand why someone would give a toothbrush instead of a few bucks. That is foolishness.

If someone gave me a toothbrush ... I'd wonder if they were trying to tell me something.

I would not appreciate it.

Staff as so appreciative for anything. We had a bottle of wine in our stateroom from our TA on my first cruise that we didn't want and so we asked out attendant if she would like it, and she was very grateful and accepted it.

I would modify that first sentence to : "Staff will behave so appreciative of anything." While I have no reason to doubt your attendant did appreciate your bottle of wine, to assume that any staff wants anything other than cash is presumptive. It is part of their job to be cordial and polite to all guests. I cannot imagine they would ever just flat out refuse a "gift" or act in any way other than happy about it, even if they throw it away five minutes after you leave.

Of course cash is always appreciated. But believe me, some good Swiss Chocolate is not bad either! :)

On our first encounter with our stateroom attendant on Oasis, she literally jumped up and down when we gave her the big bar of Swiss Chocolate ;). As we've chosen My Time Dining, we prepayed our gratuities. Nonetheless, we gave her an additional tip at the end of the trip for her great work.

If you're thinking about giving your servers/attendant a present, do whatever you feel is appropriate and don't let people here sway you one way or another on what YOU feel is appropriate to your situation - even my comments.

Other times we have simply given cash or cash and a gift.

You are absolutely correct.

I've been reading some culture books lately about some of the more popular countries represented on board and you have no idea how correct you are - or maybe you do. :)

Some cultures are so gift oriented that any gift will do because it really is the thought that counts. They are just so pleased that you thought of them. So what if they give it to someone else - if it's the thought that counts, it means something to them.

I realize that everything I read isn't always correct. But I've asked some crew members about some of the things I've read and they laugh and wonder how I know that. They will tell if something I've read isn't exactly correct for their particular region, too.

Cash is king - but kindness counts, too.

Gina

Of course cash is always appreciated. But believe me, some good Swiss Chocolate is not bad either! :)

On our first encounter with our stateroom attendant on Oasis, she literally jumped up and down when we gave her the big bar of Swiss Chocolate ;). As we've chosen My Time Dining, we prepayed our gratuities. Nonetheless, we gave her an additional tip at the end of the trip for her great work.

And I doubt she was faking her pleasure.

I knew someone on board that only liked Lindt white chocolate. For some reason there seemed to be a shortage in the states. We could find it only with other things in it but not just the plain white chocolate. She had actually asked us to bring her some from Florida and we went everywhere looking for it to no avail. Finally we found some in the duty free shop in Cozumel and got her a huge bar of it.

She also liked the picture we sent her of the Lindt Chocolate building in Zurich when we were there on a 8 hour layover and wandered around the city to pass time. It was fun for us to come across this building and think of her.

She normally worked in a non-tipped position so cash wasn't even appropriate for her most of the time.

Gina

She also liked the picture we sent her of the Lindt Chocolate building in Zurich when we were there on a 8 hour layover and wandered around the city to pass time. It was fun for us to come across this building and think of her.

Gina

It's funny that you mention the factory-building of Lindt. I grew up in that village (Kilchberg) at the lake of Zurich and still remember the wonderful smell in the air when we went swimming in the lake :).

Archived