"gifts" for cabin stewards, etc?

I like the idea. That'd be cool, I could meet you and your family before we board. I'll get onboard and throw a rope down for you guys :)

We had a snowstorm today, took 2 1/2 hours to get to work (work in downtown Cleveland). Can't wait to get into the sunshine.

That is wild are you on the east side of Cleveland? Reason I ask this is I just left the area where the airport is this morning...where my daughter lives and drove home today and didn't have bad weather yet...glad I did leave when I did.

I was in downtown yesterday...went to Lola's

restaurant...very nice!

That is wild are you on the east side of Cleveland? Reason I ask this is I just left the area where the airport is this morning...where my daughter lives and drove home today and didn't have bad weather yet...glad I did leave when I did.

I was in downtown yesterday...went to Lola's

restaurant...very nice!

Hi, that is funny! I walk right past Lola's to get to my parking garage!

Where I live, in North Royalton, is South of CLE but only around 10-15 minutes from the airport via 71. The weather was not bad at home but got worse and worse as I got closer to downtown.

East side got hit hard last night/ this morning.

Small world!

I like the idea. That'd be cool, I could meet you and your family before we board. I'll get onboard and throw a rope down for you guys :)

We had a snowstorm today, took 2 1/2 hours to get to work (work in downtown Cleveland). Can't wait to get into the sunshine.

When you get to the terminal just look for the guy sitting in front of a tent with a grill and who looks like he hasn't shaved or showered in three weeks.:eek::D

Hi, that is funny! I walk right past Lola's to get to my parking garage!

Where I live, in North Royalton, is South of CLE but only around 10-15 minutes from the airport via 71. The weather was not bad at home but got worse and worse as I got closer to downtown.

East side got hit hard last night/ this morning.

Small world!

This is really wild cause I know the parking lot that your talking about. I have been downtown a couple times now. Reason I asked about if east side...cause I kept hearing it was getting pounded. My daughter moved last July from Phoenix AZ and still does not like this cold and snow weather. Yes it is a small world....:)

My dad makes beautiful wooden pens with gold inlays. I give those out to the head waiter, our waiter, cruise director and steward. Who couldn't use a beautiful pen? I do this in addition to tipping.

I am sure they are beautiful, but again - what are they going to do with gifts like this in a room where there is limited space. Sure, your pen is small, but others' gift ideas are not necessarily small as that.

Besides, they probably wouldn't use the pen in the MDR because they would be afraid of losing it - so, this gift sits unused in a room where space is precious.

It's a wonderful sweet idea, but so very impractical - as are all the nice thoughts pax have about special gifts for the staff.

Cash may be boring and seems impersonal to you, but so many of the people who work on cruise ships support family back home - and what they really want is cash to make life at home easier on their families.

I'm not saying you aren't tipping enough and are substituting gifts for cash, it's just that if a gift costs any amount of money - because even hand made gifts have raw materials that cost money - that cost would be better served used as additional tipping.

For our Navigator cruise, I bought a Christmas tree printed on several pieces of magnetic paper for our door. On the last night on the way to dinner, I told our room steward who was out in the hallway that he could have it for his door. He thanked me and asked if it was OK to take it that night. He was concerned that he might be too busy working on turnaround day to get it. We had already left an envelope with an additional tip on the bed surrounded by miniature snickers. As we left the next morning, he thanked us for the candy. I also mentioned his great service on my comment card.

I would modify that first sentence to : "Staff will behave so appreciative of anything." While I have no reason to doubt your attendant did appreciate your bottle of wine, to assume that any staff wants anything other than cash is presumptive. It is part of their job to be cordial and polite to all guests. I cannot imagine they would ever just flat out refuse a "gift" or act in any way other than happy about it, even if they throw it away five minutes after you leave.

I think to presume anything, including that money is most important, is dangerous.

I'm probably going to regret this in the morning, but I'm going to stop lurking on this thread and step right into the fray - because, really, what could be more fun at midnight?! :) As Canadians originally from India, my husband and I have had many conversations with Indian crew members who were happy to hear the mother tongue from passengers.

Often, our conversations have centred on their hopes and aspirations for when they return home. All send a good portion of their wages home to support family - ie. help educate younger siblings, see to their marriages, etc. The vast majority are also saving for their own futures, many wanting to finish degrees upon their return and a surprising number wanting to open up their own business. While all gifts, be they chocolates, momento's, phone cards, or t-shirts are given with the best of intentions, please, when you're about to spend $5 on a keychain or shirt from back home, remember that $5 American will equal 250 Indian rupees (or 300 on the 'black' ;).) My point is that a few dollars to us translates into a lot more back in the crew member's country of origin, wherever that might be. The American and Canadian dollar is king in their country - it really is the best gift one can give.

So, the next time you want to add a $3 key chain as a token along with the $20 you've already got earmarked for the crew member, maybe rethink the key chain and make it an even $23....er I guess odd. For those who say they ask the crew members what they might need from port, good for you for making it personal to that individual, rather than picking up something generic that may or may not apply. After two decades of receiving coffee mugs from students ( I must be the only teacher who doesn't drink coffee!), or boxes of chocolates that get left in the staff room to be enjoyed by the rest of the staff because I'm a freak of nature who doesn't love chocolate, etc, ( and please know I love my students for their generosity, but feel badly that I can't always use what they give me), I make my own children give Timmy's gift cards to their teachers ( take note Canadians, ALL teachers love Timmy's gift cards, even the ones who don't drink coffee :D) . My kids think it's the most boring thing ever, but I notice their teachers smiling rather appreciatively. Actually, the best gift you can bestow on your child's teacher won't cost you a penny - an email of appreciation cc'd to the principal. Ok, time for bed, gettin' waaaay off tangent here.

I'm probably going to regret this in the morning, but I'm going to stop lurking on this thread and step right into the fray - because, really, what could be more fun at midnight?! :) As Canadians originally from India, my husband and I have had many conversations with Indian crew members who were happy to hear the mother tongue from passengers.

Often, our conversations have centred on their hopes and aspirations for when they return home. All send a good portion of their wages home to support family - ie. help educate younger siblings, see to their marriages, etc. The vast majority are also saving for their own futures, many wanting to finish degrees upon their return and a surprising number wanting to open up their own business. While all gifts, be they chocolates, momento's, phone cards, or t-shirts are given with the best of intentions, please, when you're about to spend $5 on a keychain or shirt from back home, remember that $5 American will equal 250 Indian rupees (or 300 on the 'black' ;).) My point is that a few dollars to us translates into a lot more back in the crew member's country of origin, wherever that might be. The American and Canadian dollar is king in their country - it really is the best gift one can give.

So, the next time you want to add a $3 key chain as a token along with the $20 you've already got earmarked for the crew member, maybe rethink the key chain and make it an even $23....er I guess odd. For those who say they ask the crew members what they might need from port, good for you for making it personal to that individual, rather than picking up something generic that may or may not apply. After two decades of receiving coffee mugs from students ( I must be the only teacher who doesn't drink coffee!), or boxes of chocolates that get left in the staff room to be enjoyed by the rest of the staff because I'm a freak of nature who doesn't love chocolate, etc, ( and please know I love my students for their generosity, but feel badly that I can't always use what they give me), I make my own children give Timmy's gift cards to their teachers ( take note Canadians, ALL teachers love Timmy's gift cards, even the ones who don't drink coffee :D) . My kids think it's the most boring thing ever, but I notice their teachers smiling rather appreciatively. Actually, the best gift you can bestow on your child's teacher won't cost you a penny - an email of appreciation cc'd to the principal. Ok, time for bed, gettin' waaaay off tangent here.

I loved everything that you wrote, especially about gifts from students! :)

I loved everything that you wrote, especially about gifts from students! :)

Pennsylvania, I hope you're working a night job, 'cause if it's almost 2:00 here, I don't even want to know what time it is in YOUR neck of the woods !!

Pennsylvania, I hope you're working a night job, 'cause if it's almost 2:00 here, I don't even want to know what time it is in YOUR neck of the woods !!

Tried to edit my original post to say "thank you" for your comment, but it was too late. :(

You must have some teachers in your family...

hsaroya hit the nail on the head!

These aren't college kids working Panama City Beach for the summer with their friends. They're not doing this to kill some time, have some fun, make some cash and party. They're responsible working adults counting their dollars. It's all about bringing cash home.

I am fairly confident if I spend three months working their job, I would grow to hate chocolate, trinkets and phone cards.

I think the most appreciated gift after money was the Wow card, then the survey, filled out with all 'excellents'. They all seemed really excited about the Wow cards.

If you asked them 'gift or excellent survey?' they would all choose the survey.

We usually leave any loose change we have in our room for the CA, plus any wine we haven't drunk (which usually is a bottle of two). Also, they get a big hug from both myself and hubby, lol!

What more could they want? Money, booze, and lovin'. They are sooo fortunate. ;)

Congrats BALTIMORE RAVENS!!!

hsaroya hit the nail on the head!

These aren't college kids working Panama City Beach for the summer with their friends. They're not doing this to kill some time, have some fun, make some cash and party. They're responsible working adults counting their dollars. It's all about bringing cash home.

I am fairly confident if I spend three months working their job, I would grow to hate chocolate, trinkets and phone cards.

Some are, believe it or not. Many start young, want a good time and to see the world. As they mature, they start families, buckle down, and motives change.

They all like money. And they are just like everyone. Some spend it as fast as they make it, some send it home, some save for larger goals.

Gina

i think the most appreciated gift after money was the wow card, then the survey, filled out with all 'excellents'. They all seemed really excited about the wow cards.

If you asked them 'gift or excellent survey?' they would all choose the survey.

exactly

m

I've had a number of stewards tell me they were not allowed to keep wine that was supplied on board i.e. if you get a bottle of champagne as a sail away gift, or from your TA, they cannot keep it.

This was on Celebrity not that I think of it, not sure if it's the same with RCI.

I've had a number of stewards tell me they were not allowed to keep wine that was supplied on board i.e. if you get a bottle of champagne as a sail away gift, or from your TA, they cannot keep it.

This was on Celebrity not that I think of it, not sure if it's the same with RCI.

Not quite the same situation, but might be similar. We had an unopened bottle of wine from the 4 we brought on during our recent B2B. We wanted to give it to the wine steward at Vintages. He could not accept it until his supervisor came over to talk to us in person. Once the supervisor was convinced that a guest was indeed giving a bottle away, it was allowed. This was not a variety found on the ship. Maybe just something particular to the ship, but interesting nonetheless.

Archived