Yikes! Almost $800 to fly to our cruise!

stargate fan

Southwest opened its fares today through January '11. I thought for sure they would have reasonable rates. I can't believe how much we are paying for two people to fly from the Boston area to FLL. The bright side is that we do not have to pay extra for our luggage.

But, it's a done deal. I hit the "purchase" button. All that's left is to book the Holiday Inn Port of Miami and watch the countdown clock do its thing. :D

Breathe!

Yippee!

Going on a cruise!

I have found that with Southwest they do not always open a new schedule with their best fares and that they will lower them at a future point. It all depends on how the flights are selling. It is always a crap shoot. One year I found it cheaper to fly to San Juan on American than it was to FLL on Southwest. Some time later Southwest had a major price reduction. Of course if the flights are selling well the fares could just keep going up. You just never know. I don't think that $800 for two round trip tickets sounds too excessive. But depending on the week that you are flying I would not be surprised if they have some lower fares at a later date.

Is that $800 per person? Or is it for 2 of you?

Keep watching prices. If it goes down, just go through the change process at their website and change the flight to the same flight at the lower price. They will credit you back the difference for future use. This DOES happen. I just got $11 credit for a flight I booked less than a month ago. One leg of the flight went down in price. If one goes down and one goes up, be sure to not change them both...they do allow a one direction change.

Gina

I checked American Airlines for fares from FT Laud to Palm Springs and we would be looking at around $600 for DH & I, wonder what it will be in a year. We will be going on our 1st TA, in a year, Barcelona to FT Laud and use our points to fly home, so hope to work out good fares with RCL from either PSP or LAX to BCN. Would prefer PSP, then we have the almost direct light home after disembarking in FL.

Keep watching prices. If it goes down, just go through the change process at their website and change the flight to the same flight at the lower price. They will credit you back the difference for future use. This DOES happen. I just got $11 credit for a flight I booked less than a month ago. One leg of the flight went down in price. If one goes down and one goes up, be sure to not change them both...they do allow a one direction change.

Gina

Do you have to book each way separately initially, or will they adjust one way of a round trip ticket?

Do you have to book each way separately initially, or will they adjust one way of a round trip ticket?

You can click on which leg to change and the other remains the same. Southwest also does NOT charge any change fees and anyone can use the credits. They are a pleasure to deal with.

Did you know that if your air rate goes down for the same flight you can get a credit? Yep, its true. If you find the lower fare you can get a credit that is good toward the purchase of a new flight, good for 1 year from the date of the credit.

I called SWA and they walked me right through it. :)

I don't advice calling today...they are swamped!!!! :eek:

I have found that with Southwest they do not always open a new schedule with their best fares and that they will lower them at a future point. It all depends on how the flights are selling. It is always a crap shoot. One year I found it cheaper to fly to San Juan on American than it was to FLL on Southwest. Some time later Southwest had a major price reduction. Of course if the flights are selling well the fares could just keep going up. You just never know. I don't think that $800 for two round trip tickets sounds too excessive. But depending on the week that you are flying I would not be surprised if they have some lower fares at a later date.

I had been following JetBlue for about a month. I found decent rates and wanted to wait until Southwest opened its schedule to compare. About two weeks ago, JetBlue's fares jumped and haven't come down since. So, I just wanted to get the air booked with Southwest.

We are flying down 11/13 and back 11/21. Maybe the rates are higher because it is close to Thanksgiving? But that does not make sense. I would think the rates would be lower before and spike in time for the holiday.

Gina

The fare is for both of us.

Thank you for the credit info. I will definitely keep checking the Southwest website.

Please tell me that is round trip?? You only said to fly TO your cruise!

We have to fly 4 of us from Maine to Orlando and back next May- I am terrified what that will be. Maybe we'll rent a van and just suck it up and drive (which in itself is a terrifying thought!). :eek:

Have you checked to see how much it would be using Choice Air?

I second this opinion. Just checked Choice Air 333 days out from Atlanta to Los Angeles and return from Vancouver to Atlanta for less than $600 total for 2 people before baggage fees of $180 .. so $780 total. Best I have found elsewhere is $1,100.

I checked round trip fares on SWA to FLL in December from Providence and they came in at a much more reasonable $638. Is that an option for you?

Providence was only $30 cheaper and Boston was more expensive. It is a two hour drive each way so the gas fill-up would eat up the difference. Plus we would have to put the car somewhere for the week. We are only 20 minutes from Manchester and our son will drive us to/from the airport.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Southwest opened its fares today through January '11. I thought for sure they would have reasonable rates. I can't believe how much we are paying for two people to fly from the Boston area to FLL. The bright side is that we do not have to pay extra for our luggage.

But, it's a done deal. I hit the "purchase" button. All that's left is to book the Holiday Inn Port of Miami and watch the countdown clock do its thing. :D

Breathe!

Yippee!

Going on a cruise!

I just "booked" your dates, BOS - FLL RT on 11/13 & 11/21, and got $315 pp

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please tell me that is round trip?? You only said to fly TO your cruise!

We have to fly 4 of us from Maine to Orlando and back next May- I am terrified what that will be. Maybe we'll rent a van and just suck it up and drive (which in itself is a terrifying thought!). :eek:

Yes, it is round trip.

I hope you are able to find good fares.

Archived