Carnival Fantasy Review & Pics/ June 5th, 2010 Sailing

We will be getting off the day you board JSmith, our first time on the Fatansy.:D

Oh Wow! I see u cruise every year, must be nice! Hopefully I'll be able to do the same. If I go next year, I think I'll leave from VA, just so I can experience different ships & different places. I live near Raleigh, NC so it won't be too bad of a drive. Its gonna take 4 1/2hrs to get to Charleston. Hope u enjoy your first time on the Fantasy! Me, I'm pretty sure I will absolutely love it considering I have nothing to compare it to lol

Sangaree eh? I drive through Sangaree pretty often! Not so fun around quitting time now. Summerville sure has grown up a lot and we have way too much traffic these days! I actually work in the Jedburg area but live out in the Lebanon area. We are out in the woods! I don't do the close neighbor thing. We like privacy. Its nice to find information on this ship and get it from a local source! You did such an excellent review and I cant wait to read your blog!!

Sangaree eh? I drive through Sangaree pretty often! Not so fun around quitting time now. Summerville sure has grown up a lot and we have way too much traffic these days! I actually work in the Jedburg area but live out in the Lebanon area. We are out in the woods! I don't do the close neighbor thing. We like privacy. Its nice to find information on this ship and get it from a local source! You did such an excellent review and I cant wait to read your blog!!

Yeah, Sangaree was nice at the time when my kids were little. We are staying out in Meggett with a friend while we figure out how to proceed with either a rebuild or trying to find a new home. I still have my apartment in West Ashley that I keep so my youngest can go to a decent school though. We are looking at a house that is on the same street that our home that burned down was on. Fingers crossed.

Still struggling with the blog. Finally came up with a title for it but am working on content.

Enjoy your cruise! And if you have any questions let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for a detailed and fun review! I was nervous because we found bad reviews of the Fantasy on the web but your review made my DH and I excited for our cruise. We are so burnt out from work and everything and we need a relaxing vacay. My In Laws have a place in Myrtle Beach so initially, we were going there for two weeks. But then I researched nearby ports and voila! Charleston! Booked the cruise on a whim. We got a grand suite and are ready to go!

I have a few questions though. DH and I have been on Celebrity cruises. Celebrity is generally an older crowd. Carnival I know targets younger people, correct? Did you see a lot of families? Couples? And for dinner. Did you have assigned seating with other couples? How big were the tables and how many people? I am sorry if these questions sound stupid, I am just curious. I feel that Carnival doesn't give you THAT much info like Celebrity does. Thanks so much in advance! :-)

Wow! Thanks for a detailed and fun review! I was nervous because we found bad reviews of the Fantasy on the web but your review made my DH and I excited for our cruise. We are so burnt out from work and everything and we need a relaxing vacay. My In Laws have a place in Myrtle Beach so initially, we were going there for two weeks. But then I researched nearby ports and voila! Charleston! Booked the cruise on a whim. We got a grand suite and are ready to go!

I have a few questions though. DH and I have been on Celebrity cruises. Celebrity is generally an older crowd. Carnival I know targets younger people, correct? Did you see a lot of families? Couples? And for dinner. Did you have assigned seating with other couples? How big were the tables and how many people? I am sorry if these questions sound stupid, I am just curious. I feel that Carnival doesn't give you THAT much info like Celebrity does. Thanks so much in advance! :-)

I am glad you enjoyed and got something from our review. I think you will have a wonderful time on Fantasy. Although I think Celebrity is (from what I have heard) a little fancier and Carnival is more "Vegas-y".

There was a WIDE range of ages on all 3 cruises with Carnival we have taken. Met wonderful folks our age as well as a little bit older and then a little younger. Made some friends that we still talk to as well.

For dinner, we chose late dining because we dont like to rush to dinner from the ports of call. We were seated at a 4-top with a lovely couple our age and they were from NC. I have heard that Carnival tries to seat you together with your age and location in common. Or a life event (honeymoon, anniversary etc). You can always choose Anytime Dining which I have heard has become quite popular. I dont think I would do well with ATD just because without a set time to be somewhere, we would probably flake out on it.

Also, when you get onboard, go to the dining room that you are assigned to and look for your table (the table number is printed on your Sail and Sign card). If you dont like the location or number of people sitting at your table you always can talk to the Maitre D and he can change your seating for you if at all possible.

There are no stupid questions. Ask away!!!

Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents even tho I haven't read all of the postings on this thread. I've sailed on the Fantasy twice (last time was in March) and have booked it again for July.

My favorite: I love to read and this ship has the best lit, most comfortable reading spots of CCL, RCCL, and Celebrity.

It's also a small ship so you don't get lost (much) and personally I like the decor.

Carnival has changed their marketing over the years to get away from the "party" ship image to be seen as more of a family ship image.

In March the ship was filled with college kids on spring break--talk about a people watching adventure ;) But there were also families with kids of all ages and couples of all ages (I'm in my late 50's). Last July there was a good mix of ages. Altho there were a lot of kids at that time, and I was escaping my kid in order to relax with my best friend, the kids stayed more at the back of the ship where the water slides are.

The dining rooms are the same as on all other ships, with tables for two, four, six, eight, and ten. We do early dining and have requested a small table on some of the cruises. Most of our assigned dining companions have been fun to talk with and some were so much fun that we looked forward to meeting with them at dinner. I don't like to be crowded at the table, and one reason I don't like the large tables is it takes longer to finish a meal. That is, when everyone waits for everyone to be seated before ordering, waits for everyone to finish one course before the next course is served, etc. On the past cruise it was more relaxed and you were handed the menu when you sat down and your order was taken--and served--sometimes before the others got there. It was awkward since we were raised to wait to begin eating until everyone at the table was served. You can get the anytime dining which seems to be popular.

Oh Wow! I see u cruise every year, must be nice! Hopefully I'll be able to do the same. If I go next year, I think I'll leave from VA, just so I can experience different ships & different places. I live near Raleigh, NC so it won't be too bad of a drive. Its gonna take 4 1/2hrs to get to Charleston. Hope u enjoy your first time on the Fantasy! Me, I'm pretty sure I will absolutely love it considering I have nothing to compare it to lol

If you want to sail out of Norfolk, VA you better start searching. It seems that, now that my tax dollars were spent for a wonderful cruise ship terminal, only a very few ships are sailing from there. It is a wonderful port, easy to get to, and some of the hotels are not as expensive as most port cities.

I sailed Celebrity 2x from Norfolk to Bermuda and it was such a nice trip. Bermuda is cool because your ship becomes your hotel for the whole time spent there!

I sailed from Norfolk last year on RCCL and one year on Carnival. It's only 2 hours or so from me so I hope the ships come back :)

I'd like to sail from Baltimore sometime but so far the prices are crazy right now! Plus I'd have to drive I-95 north!

Pat

I located your thread searching for information on the Fantasy which is very hard to come by. I am toying with the idea of getting married on her in October in port before departing. Just to make everything a little easier on me. They handle everything and when we have to kick most of our non sailing guests off, we can just keep on partying all week! Has anyone ever attended a wedding on it? I want to make sure its nice!

FYI: on both of my Fantasy sailings there were weddings going on. There were 2 last month, and while I don't remember details I do remember that the room looked lovely, as did the reception lounge area. I remember beautiful flowers, a yummy looking cake, etc. And EVERYONE was having a blast. Just think, there's a great photographer, chef, DJ and bands, etc. already there!

I am glad you enjoyed and got something from our review. I think you will have a wonderful time on Fantasy. Although I think Celebrity is (from what I have heard) a little fancier and Carnival is more "Vegas-y".

Add me to your list of "fans." You did a great job on your review and with this thread. I pray for continued healing for the Andrew!

Great Review!!! I am sorry about the fire but glad that Andrew is healing well.

Can you tell me about the taxi service in Charleston? Did he stay in line or just drop you off because I have read that they may charge you while waiting in line. What cab company did you use? Thanks!

Can you tell me about the taxi service in Charleston? Did he stay in line or just drop you off because I have read that they may charge you while waiting in line. What cab company did you use? Thanks!

First, my rule is to always ask the driver how much it'll be before I get into a cab! I've been stiffed too many times--usually when it's just my best friend and I, not with my DH, grrr.

We stay at the Hampton Inn Patriot's Point which includes transportation to/from the port. They told us what time they'd be at the hotel. We left the hotel about 11:30, drove to the port, waited in line only a few minutes at most, got off the van as they unloaded the luggage (tip: keep your carry-on in your lap or the stewards may pile it in with your luggage before you can get out of the van/car). Walked thru the gate and onto the shuttle bus which drove us to the terminal door.

If you do take a taxi or van, ask if they make stops at other hotels. Some of them do and that ties you up in the car for quite some time.

BTW, after you board, watch for dolphins playing around the ship, esp. at the back. There were a lot of them March 12th--don't know if that's seasonal or not!

First, my rule is to always ask the driver how much it'll be before I get into a cab! I've been stiffed too many times--usually when it's just my best friend and I, not with my DH, grrr.

We stay at the Hampton Inn Patriot's Point which includes transportation to/from the port. They told us what time they'd be at the hotel. We left the hotel about 11:30, drove to the port, waited in line only a few minutes at most, got off the van as they unloaded the luggage (tip: keep your carry-on in your lap or the stewards may pile it in with your luggage before you can get out of the van/car). Walked thru the gate and onto the shuttle bus which drove us to the terminal door.

Thanks so much! We are actually thinking of staying there. Was 11:30 their first shuttle or did they have earlier ones. The lady said they start about 11:00. Just don't want to wait a long time on the shuttle.

Thanks so much! We are actually thinking of staying there. Was 11:30 their first shuttle or did they have earlier ones. The lady said they start about 11:00. Just don't want to wait a long time on the shuttle.

I've stayed there twice and will again in July. It's way easy to find--just across the big bridge. It seems very safe to leave the car for a week, the hotel is fine and it has a good b'fast. There are a lot of restaurants nearby if, like me, you'll be too tired to drive downtown when you arrive in Charleston and want to just grab something (but you don't have too far to go do you?).

Actually I think you're right and the shuttle arrived at 11. There was some confusion regarding the transportation slips that the hotel gave us--mine had both to and from the port written on one slip yet the driver needed to keep the slip in order to get paid. I went in to get 2 slips and of course had to wait in line, then they're like we ran out of slips, then they said oh yes, we'll print some out. It felt like they subcontracted the print job to India and it took forever.

Ok, so I'm not a patient person. Don't get me wrong, I didn't cuss and stuff, I stood there and took it like any respectable 50-something woman would, LOL

But like I said, we loaded up, zipped across the bridge, drove inside the gates where we briefly stopped and held our passports and boarding passes up for security, drove to another spot where we got out. Now you may have to sit a few minutes on the shuttle bus going to the terminal, I don't know. I have been lucky both times and didn't sit there more than a few minutes. Hope this helps!

There was a WIDE range of ages on all 3 cruises with Carnival we have taken. Met wonderful folks our age as well as a little bit older and then a little younger. Made some friends that we still talk to as well.

For dinner, we chose late dining because we dont like to rush to dinner from the ports of call. We were seated at a 4-top with a lovely couple our age and they were from NC. I have heard that Carnival tries to seat you together with your age and location in common. Or a life event (honeymoon, anniversary etc). You can always choose Anytime Dining which I have heard has become quite popular. I dont think I would do well with ATD just because without a set time to be somewhere, we would probably flake out on it.

Also, when you get onboard, go to the dining room that you are assigned to and look for your table (the table number is printed on your Sail and Sign card). If you dont like the location or number of people sitting at your table you always can talk to the Maitre D and he can change your seating for you if at all possible.

There are no stupid questions. Ask away!!!

Thanks so much for your response! I heard that Carnival has a fun decor. Different is good! We are looking forward to it! We also chose late dining as we too do not like to be rushed. Thanks for the tip- we will check out our table once we hop on the ship. If I think of any questions, I will be sure to ask. Thanks again! And I saw something about your many being injured in a fire. I hope he is okay and that you are both well. Take care. :-)

Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents even tho I haven't read all of the postings on this thread. I've sailed on the Fantasy twice (last time was in March) and have booked it again for July.

My favorite: I love to read and this ship has the best lit, most comfortable reading spots of CCL, RCCL, and Celebrity.

It's also a small ship so you don't get lost (much) and personally I like the decor.

Carnival has changed their marketing over the years to get away from the "party" ship image to be seen as more of a family ship image.

In March the ship was filled with college kids on spring break--talk about a people watching adventure ;) But there were also families with kids of all ages and couples of all ages (I'm in my late 50's). Last July there was a good mix of ages. Altho there were a lot of kids at that time, and I was escaping my kid in order to relax with my best friend, the kids stayed more at the back of the ship where the water slides are.

The dining rooms are the same as on all other ships, with tables for two, four, six, eight, and ten. We do early dining and have requested a small table on some of the cruises. Most of our assigned dining companions have been fun to talk with and some were so much fun that we looked forward to meeting with them at dinner. I don't like to be crowded at the table, and one reason I don't like the large tables is it takes longer to finish a meal. That is, when everyone waits for everyone to be seated before ordering, waits for everyone to finish one course before the next course is served, etc. On the past cruise it was more relaxed and you were handed the menu when you sat down and your order was taken--and served--sometimes before the others got there. It was awkward since we were raised to wait to begin eating until everyone at the table was served. You can get the anytime dining which seems to be popular.

Thanks so much for the info! I don't recall having the option of selecting the size of the table. The only option was just choosing the time. Is there a place where you can select the table size or do they do it for you?

All4fun&fun4all

your review has been by far the most enjoyable to read!! My honey and I will be on Fantasy April 29 for 5night to Freeport and Nassau. This will be our first cruise and we are sooo looking forward to it!!! Thanks again for sharing your fun!

Thanks so much for the info! I don't recall having the option of selecting the size of the table. The only option was just choosing the time. Is there a place where you can select the table size or do they do it for you?

Usually I told my travel agent I'd like a table for 2 or 4. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true on carnival but on RCCL I used to meet the head maitre d' sometime after boarding--the Fun Times would probably list the times.

And finally, I know that some people ask for table changes after the first night's dinner. Not sure how you do this tho.

All4fun&fun4all

your review has been by far the most enjoyable to read!! My honey and I will be on Fantasy April 29 for 5night to Freeport and Nassau. This will be our first cruise and we are sooo looking forward to it!!! Thanks again for sharing your fun!

I'm not sure about all cabin types but on both our inside and ocean view cabins there was no hair dryer. When you travel often nowadays you assume there's a hair dryer in hotel rooms, and ships (on all others there have been). Just FYI :)

Enjoy your cruise. Before you sail out peek over the side--you may get lucky like we did and see dolphins feeding and playing beside the ship.

Add me to your list of "fans." You did a great job on your review and with this thread. I pray for continued healing for the Andrew!

Thank you so much. The physical healing is pretty much over now but the emotional healing....that is going to take a lifetime I am afraid. :(

Thank you for your kind words. And he thanks you as well. :o

We used Yellow Cab when we went. It took about 30 minutes from the time we called them to their arrival. It is a metered ride so I would imagine that if there is a line the meter will continue to run. We didnt experience a line at the port so this didnt apply to us.

There may be some sort of cab company that does a flat rate or perhaps if you are staying in a hotel they may have a shuttle?

Enjoy your cruise!

BTW, after you board, watch for dolphins playing around the ship, esp. at the back. There were a lot of them March 12th--don't know if that's seasonal or not!

We saw dolphins too! This was in June so they must hang around a lot. We also saw a TON of jellyfish on the way out starting in the area of Sullivan's Island. It was CREEPY! :eek:

I've stayed there twice and will again in July. It's way easy to find--just across the big bridge. It seems very safe to leave the car for a week, the hotel is fine and it has a good b'fast. There are a lot of restaurants nearby if, like me, you'll be too tired to drive downtown when you arrive in Charleston and want to just grab something (but you don't have too far to go do you?).

Mt. Pleasant is a VERY safe area. I work there. It is actually a pretty upscale part of the Charleston area.

Make sure you have dinner or cocktails at Vickery's. Beautiful sunsets and views of the water and Shem Creek.