The best purchase

mcgore83

Since I haven't sailed yet...I am thinking it will be the cruise itself! Time to spend with just my husband after a deployment and for our 15th anniversary...don't think any memento can measure up to that!

I bought a beach bag at one of our port stops - local little market. Got back to the ship and there were about 6 of us with the same bag (it was gorgeous - colourful and big)We started talking about how much we paid - 2 bought in the town square - very little dealing and paid $25 - others bought a little shops and paid $15 and up - I went a couple of blocks back to the real dealers and got mine for $9 and a pair of flip flops thrown in. It has been worth every penny, have used it for years and not a sign of wear. It will carry 2 Carnival beach towels AND snorkeling gear. My husbands best purchase was AUTHENTIC island beer in San Jaun that was bottled in Milwalkee.

The cruise itself! We haven't been yet, but my mom and stepdad were planning a group cruise for July 4 and wanted us to go since we've never cruised before, but wanted a hefty deposit right before Christmas...unfortunately we wouldn't have it until we got our tax money back. So they decided to pay for the cruise for me, hubby and our two kids!! What a gift! (now if they would only pitch in for the bar bill...:rolleyes:). ONLY kidding!

I can relate to the beach bag. Bought ours in Cozumel in 1999. Also few colorful (lots of fish and shells). We use it everytime we go to the beach or on a cruise. The kids get very excited when I bring out the "fish bag", because they know it is time for vacation!

I bought a beautiful leather and petit-point stitched foldable carry-bag in St.Maarten a few years ago...and now pack it for every cruise to use for my "extra purchases" going home. ;).

Last year it was hot, hot, hot in Ketchican, Alaska. It was 80 degrees so the jackets were on sale for $19.99. A lot of people men and gals bought the same designs of jackets. We were all laughing at how we all bought the same jackets.

Whenever it gets super cold I put on my Alaskan jacket and it keeps me super warm. I love my jacket.

if i had to name just one, it would be a hand painted tile i bought in costa maya, mexico from a local. i watched her paint the tile, it means so much to me because it was the cruise i met my hubby on and the picture (full moon over water) reflected our first kiss.

My favorite was a strand of Mikimoto pearls we bought at Kirk Freeport in Grand Cayman. Five years later he bought me the Mikimoto pearl earrings. My MIL had a set for over 50-60 yrs that was just beautiful, but when she passed her daughter got them(understandably). Now I have my own!!!

My most memorable purchase was a ruby ring with diamonds that I bought in St Thomas from DI. I love that ring but would never purchase another one on a cruise.

I think it cost $800 in St. Thomas. A week after I got back one of the small diamonds fell out. DI replaced it. A few months later, another that same stone plus another one fell out. DI would not even respond to my emails or letters. I took it to a jewellers where they were able to replace the missing stones. They also had to reinforce ALL the settings to prevent additional stones from falling out. So I had to spend another $300-400 to make it wearable.

I can relate to the beach bag. Bought ours in Cozumel in 1999. Also few colorful (lots of fish and shells). We use it everytime we go to the beach or on a cruise. The kids get very excited when I bring out the "fish bag", because they know it is time for vacation!

Was it bright blue with fish and shells. Could be the same one as I bought mine in Cozumel (I think - I was pretty hazy that day - tequila runs do that to a person)

Oh, I'm such a bad girl, on the MWA cruises that SAIL:D around the coast line of Maine, on every island, I took a rock. Black stone with white quartz running through it. This means a lot to me because it reminds me of my childhood summers in Vermont, and it reminds my DH of summers in Maine.

We both collected the rocks (me from rivers, him from coastline) and he laughed at me on our first trip up north, all those years being about 100 miles away doing the same thing, and we finally met when we were old and middle aged. LOL

My favorite purchases have been the Carnival ship models. They are sold in the gift shops onboard and I have them from all 11 of the ships I have sailed on. I have been on two other cruises with Carnival as well, but they were repeat ships. My husband told me I didn't need to get a second ship model on those two cruises!

My Carnival ship models are lined up on top of my computer 'armoire' in my family room, so I get to enjoy them every day! Lots of great memories.

I bought one of those huge bags in Puerto Vallerta! I love it! I use it all the time and it was great on excursions. I could fit all 6 Carnival towels in it tightly rolled. It also had a small zipper pocket inside that I put all out Sail and Sign cards and ID's in. I just hated being the one to lug around everyones towels!! I paid $10 after a lot of bartering back and forth.

While it wasn't a "thing", my most memorable cruise purchase was the excursion we took in Belize-- golfing at Caye Chapel. We took a tiny plane to the private resort and I golfed for the first time. My husband had surprised me the month before with clubs and lessons for my birthday so it was well timed.

For our 25th anniversary, my DH bought me a stunningly beautiful tanzanite ring and pendant on the Spirit. I had eyeballed the pendant in the gift shop and he couldn't get it out of his mind. Probably could have gotten a better deal somewhere else, but I get compliments whenever I wear them, so who cares. I've never seen any others I like as well.:)

I can't limit it to one:

The best was the diamond cross necklace and pendant my DH got me on our Anniversary on the Dream last October and the leather bag I got myself on our day trip to Florence on the same cruise.

There were also:

the steel drum I bought in Ocho Rios

the large conch shells I cleaned, packed, and brought home

the cheap black coral pendant (real? maybe) I got in London Jewellers in Grand Cayman

Was it bright blue with fish and shells. Could be the same one as I bought mine in Cozumel (I think - I was pretty hazy that day - tequila runs do that to a person)

I think that's it! Love that bag and all the memories.

Archived