Anyone carried one of the new iPad's on board?

Top-Cat

• 3 weeks later...

I took mine (bday present from daughter and her BF), on my Panama Canal cruise, but I didn't purchase an internet package....just used it for reading books and watching movies that they had downloaded for me. So I guess my answer isn't really any help...LOL!

I took my iPad on the Carnival Dream last week. I was able to maintain 3G coverage for a couple of hours until were offshore. I was in a Cove Balcony and I could not log on to the ships WiFi. For the Eastern Caribbean stops, Nassau and St. Maartin did not have ATT coverage but St Thomas had 3G. I ended up sending all my emails and browsing while docked at St Thomas instead of purchasing an internet package from the ship.

Hope this helps.

I took my iPad on the Carnival Dream last week. I was able to maintain 3G coverage for a couple of hours until were offshore. I was in a Cove Balcony and I could not log on to the ships WiFi. For the Eastern Caribbean stops, Nassau and St. Maartin did not have ATT coverage but St Thomas had 3G. I ended up sending all my emails and browsing while docked at St Thomas instead of purchasing an internet package from the ship.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very helpful, I was thinking of getting ships wifi and we have a cove booked too. Interesting about where you got 3G thanks, we are doing the western though. So I guess I will just pay for the interantional plan on the ipad, is that what you did?

Will be taking along the iPad for the kids(non 3G) along with a Macbook Pro and of course the iPhone. Hopefully I will be able to grab some screen shots and and do a "geek review" of the Carnival Dream for all of us folks that wonder these things...

Of course you can always ask Mach ;)

Just wondering how well it worked and if you had a 3G package, was inet time charged through it or the ship? Any any pro or cons you found with it.

Thanks!

I take my netbook, but not iPad. I have 3G (mobile broadband) Verizon wireless internet and use that when I'm in range of the U.S. shoreline. I watch for the signal showing either national access or mobile broadband and can use that for no additional fees. If it shows global access, I don't use it because i don't want to incur roaming fees. I can use the mobile broadband anywhere my Verizon cell phone reaches from a coverage standpoint. The mobile broadband with no additional fees usually works until a couple of hours from the U.S. shore. Within a couple of hours of reaching port coming back from the cruise, I go online and check in for my flight home. Works well. And it doesn't have anything to do with what the ship offers, and thus there are no ship fees involved. I buy a monthly package from Verizon for my netbook and I use that.

Hope this helps.

Did you get charged extra for the 3g use in St. Thomas?

Will be taking along the iPad for the kids(non 3G) along with a Macbook Pro and of course the iPhone. Hopefully I will be able to grab some screen shots and and do a "geek review" of the Carnival Dream for all of us folks that wonder these things...

Of course you can always ask Mach ;)

Can't wait.

St. Thomas has ATT service as the primary (maybe only) cell service and we've used our air card as well as the phone there with no problem. This also applies to Puerto Rico, St. Croix and St. John.

;)

Looking forward to your geek review Zack!!

COOOL Zack...can't wait for that:cool: Include a pic of the iphone bars for funzies.:p

Archived