Free drinks in Neptune Lounge?

slimkat

Howdy all,

I believe this is my first post here but I've been lurking this board for months. I am booked in a deluxe verandah suite on the Veendam from NYC to Bermuda this summer. I am aware that the Neptune Lounge is available to suite members only. Is soda free in this lounge? Just trying to decide if I should carry on my beverages or not.

Secondly and a little off topic, how early is too early to get to the pier? I would like to get on the ship early to have lunch and such but I don't want to wait at the pier for extended amount of time to embark ship.

Thanks for any advice. I am soooooo EXCITED!!!!

Kathy

Welcome, Kathy, and congratulations on picking an amazing cabin!

Sorry, but you'll have to carry that soda on. The Neptune has an incredible coffee/espresso/cappuccino machine, but no soda, except....

On many/most sailings, there's a "get acquainted" cocktail party the first evening, attended by a some ship's officers. General HAL rule: where there are officers, there are beverages :). Complimentary drinks are served that evening only. You will be able to get wine, beer, a cocktail - or soda.

(If an officer joins your table at dinner on formal night, free wines are served.)

HAL serves only Coke products. Me? I'm a Pepsi girl, so no stranger to schlepping soda.

Welcome, the Neputne lounge also has different juices in the morning and during the day (along with all the specialty coffees), they have water, iced tea and usually something like cranberry juice. They also have nice teas if that is your preference.

From 7 AM until around 11 AM -- you can get fresh squeezed orange juice on most ships (some have the canned stuff), cranberry juice, iced water, lots of choices of teas, coffe machine for regular, decaf, cappuccino, lattes.

Aroung 11 AM until closing at 8 you can get cranberry juice, iced tea, iced water and the same teas and coffee.

There are also packets of hot cocoa that you can make your own hot chocolate.

That coffee machine is the bestest thing on the planet earth.

Nope. no free soda.

Wait until you see the suite people show up before they go to breakfast.

We treat the Neptune as our hang out place.

I've seen people in thier jammies and no shoes.

Gramps

Welcome to CC!

Embarkation usually begins around 11:30, in most cases.

We got to the pier around 11:30, got boarding passes for group 7. Check-in was quick, and we sat and waited no more than 20 minutes until our group was called.

Note that your cabin won't be ready. They herd everyone onto elevators up to the lido for lunch. That's also the deck with the pool and the "giant footbath" so there are plenty of places to sit and relax, but you will have to keep your carry-on luggage with you.

if we boarded early and our cabin wasn't ready we dropped our carry-on luggage in the Neptune Lounge. No problem. Got to walk around hands free.

A Neptune passenger is also (in theory) allowed immediate boarding.

You shouldn't have to wait in line and there's a separate desk for getting your ship card and other stuff.

Of course there's one pier customer service type that never got the memo. She's in Ft. Lauderdale. Last time we got to the Suite desk and we were asked why we stood on line.

Gave me a sour taste.

Gramps

Welcome to Cruise Critic (formally .. out of the woods now).

To summarize what has been said and has been our experience on all our HAL cruises ... various beverages are available all day, at breakfast, they have toaster (on vista ships), pastries, fruits, yogurt, milk for cereal as well as multitude of cereals .. thus you can, as DW and I generally do, take your tray from the room and grab coffee, juice, breakfast cereal etc .. take back to room when you dont want to get dressed and go to Pinnacle - which is also a treat.

After lunch, they have candy and later hors d'ouerves as well .. but as mentioned earlier in the thread ...

the coffee is outstanding ... we look forward to it every morning when we first get up.

Additionally, the person who is at the desk in Neptune is very helpful in setting up or changing reservations, as well as many other assistance that I wont bore you with.

You will love it ... wish we were going with you...

harry

We got to the pier around 11:30, got boarding passes for group 7. Check-in was quick, and we sat and waited no more than 20 minutes until our group was called.

Note that your cabin won't be ready. They herd everyone onto elevators up to the lido for lunch. That's also the deck with the pool and the "giant footbath" so there are plenty of places to sit and relax, but you will have to keep your carry-on luggage with you.

Since you are asking about the Neptune Lounge, you don't have to go to the Lido. ( unless you want to) you are obviously in a suite. You can stay in the Neptune Lounge if you want (nice snacks and quiet) or you can leave your luggage as Gramps says above and go wandering. the suites are normally ready earlier but it may still be 1 pm. before they are depending upon the ship and the sailing.

Welcome to Cruise Critic (formally .. out of the woods now).

To summarize what has been said and has been our experience on all our HAL cruises ... various beverages are available all day, at breakfast, they have toaster (on vista ships), pastries, fruits, yogurt, milk for cereal as well as multitude of cereals .. thus you can, as DW and I generally do, take your tray from the room and grab coffee, juice, breakfast cereal etc .. take back to room when you dont want to get dressed and go to Pinnacle - which is also a treat.

After lunch, they have candy and later hors d'ouerves as well .. but as mentioned earlier in the thread .........

Harry.....

You'll be happy to hear Maasdam's Neptune Lounge has a toaster, also. We first saw one on Westerdam, then on Eurodam and in May, were happy to see one on Maasdam. Dh had a toasted bagel a few times. :)

I have to agree. This is our 3rd suite on HAL...Nieuw Amsterdam in August. Once you have a balcony, you never want less. Once you have a suite, you never want less. And once you are spoiled with the Neptune and preferential tender boarding, free dry cleaning, shoe polishing etc., it is hard to go back!

Archived