Planning a big surprise!

Sierrachik

My son was married 3 weeks ago and had started a new job 2 weeks prior to the wedding. He and his wife elected to postpone their honeymoon so he wouldn't have to take time off from the new job, plus they wanted to wait until they'd saved a bit more.

My husband and I are booked on the Triumph in late November, tomorrow we plan to surprise my son and his wife with the news that we're springing for the cruise/air fare/hotel and auto-tip.

I wonder how long it will take them to figure it out when they open the bag with the picture frame in it tomorrow on a family outing. Can't wait to spring it on them!

DSC00161a.jpg.bbddd08135ad0c0863f8cdcee0748774.jpg

What a great surprise! I'm sure they're going to be thrilled - have they ever been on a cruise before? I hope your son can get the time off work easily :)

ps. Wanna adopt me? :D:p

What a great surprise! I'm sure they're going to be thrilled - have they ever been on a cruise before? I hope your son can get the time off work easily :)

ps. Wanna adopt me? :D:p

I think he'll be good to take some time off by then. They have never cruised before.

What a wonderful gift! I hope you aren't in a fancy restaurant or other quiet place when you give them the card. There may be some squealing and happy dancing going on.:)

I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Ironically we'll be on a boat on a lake a couple of towns away. Plan to make sure neither is at the helm when they open it :)

Thanks for the good wishes!

How exciting! That's really generous and sweet of you to do that for them. :) Don't know that I'd want to go on my honeymoon with my parents or in-laws. LOL. But, if it were a gift of an all-expense-paid cruise, I'd take it!

Be sure to report back and let us know their reactions! :D

How exciting! Don't know that I'd want to go on my honeymoon with my parents or in-laws. LOL. But, if it were a gift of an all-expense-paid cruise, I'd take it!

Yes, we've thought of that as well and will let them know they're free to choose another cruise that overall fits the same budget.

It's a big ship though, and no need to spend every waking moment together. Thank goodness, lol! ;)

Yes, we've thought of that as well and will let them know they're free to choose another cruise that overall fits the same budget.

It's a big ship though, and no need to spend every waking moment together. Thank goodness, lol! ;)

I hope you are not next door to each other because the wall are thin!

What a nice gift.

I am sure that their reaction will make a wonderful "Father's Day" moment. It is so wonderful of you and your dh to give such a surprise to your son and his wife. Make sure to come back and tell us how the news was received!:)

Are you sure he'll be able to take time off his job, if he just started? Usually you have to have worked at least a year somewhere before you get vacation time...\

Otherwise, it should be great fun!

I'm reasonably sure he can get the time off. Most places won't give you paid time off for less than a year but you can usually take it unpaid.

Because they may choose a different cruise than we're taking and for the time off issue, we're waiting to actually book.

I think it is very generous of you to pay for their honeymoon and plan such a nice surprise. It is also thoughtful of you to offer to them to go on a different trip if they prefer.

When I got married my husband planned a honeymoon with his parents along much to my surprise. I didn't find out we would be with his parents until the last minute. Now we are divorced.

Looks like you've thought of everything! Bet you're excited. I can't wait to hear how it goes.:D

BTW, just noticed you're also from Portland--well, different Portland, but I've been there, too. Beautiful. :D

I hope I don't get flamed for this. I feel you are putting your new daughter in law in an awkward spot. Your son's vacation time is very limited. It's going to be very difficult for them to say "thanks for the very generous gift, but we would like to take the cruise ourselves" Maybe just give them the gift, and see if they ask you to join them:o

It is a generous gift and I hope they are thrilled at the idea. I would definitely tell them that you will be on the same cruise but there is zero expectation for the honeymooners to hang with you at all unless they choose to. This being said a cabin far apart is called for if they have no issues with it.

Vacation time--most employers are compasionate enough to give time off for a belated honeymoon if the employee was very new and said in the interview that the honeymoon would be postponed until much later in the year. One thing we do not know is if he mentioned it in the job interview and if the employer agreed that he could take a week off with or without pay after say a 3-6 month period of time...

You are right it is a big ship, and you don't have to meet up if you don't want to. We have sailed with my inlaws 3 times and some days we didn't see them at all so no worries! You will all have fun and I am sure they will be thrilled. Please make sure you report back!!:)

Ryan and Audrey were so surprised, pleased and excited! I think it is one of the few times my son has been speechless in his whole life and Audrey didn't stop smiling the rest of the time we were out on the lake today. For about an hour she kept saying I'm in shock, I can't believe we are getting a honeymoon!" They fully know they can choose to go with us or choose another cruise without us.

I feel you are putting your new daughter in law in an awkward spot.

If it were anyone but Audrey, I would totally agree with your statement, Audrey is very straightforward and wouldn't hesitate to share her preferences and she knows we'd respect her choice.

LOVE it!!!!!! How thoughtful of you!! I had a MIL like you and a Mom too. BTW...did you make the "surprise frame" or did you order that from somewhere?? Would love to know.

I did not make the frame. DH and I only made the decision to gift the cruise to them yesterday so I wasn't sure exactly what to do to present it to them. I went to Card Smart (similar to a Hallmark store) and tucked way in the back I found this frame after searching the store for about 45 minutes for something to incorporate the gift into. Even the staff person trying to help me didn't know they had the frame.

Vacation time--most employers are compasionate enough to give time off for a belated honeymoon if the employee was very new and said in the interview that the honeymoon would be postponed until much later in the year. One thing we do not know is if he mentioned it in the job interview and if the employer agreed that he could take a week off with or without pay after say a 3-6 month period of time...

If they need to wait til next spring because of vacation allotment that is fine with us, there is no pressing need to have to go this fall. They'll be able to determine that later this week after deciding if they want to go with us or by themselves and after Ryan speaks with his boss.

Archived