d-day beaches tour for Canadians.

jodi58

Does anybody know if there is a Canadian D-day beaches and cemetary

tour offered from the cruise ship. (i`m assuming this would be private tour, not from the cruise ship company.)

thanking you in advance.

Which port? Cherbourg is closer to the American Beaches (Utah, Omaha), while Le Havre is closer to the Canadian (Juno) beach.

This looks interesting:

http://www.overlordtour.com/overlordtour-from-ports.html

We were there (Le Havre) in 2008, and rented a car, and did a self-tour, driving to the American cemetary at St. Laurent, and working our way back, visiting Juno Beach, the Juno Beach Centre (our family has a couple of commemorative 'bricks' there), and the Cdn. Cemetary at Beny-sur-mer. We did not leave enough time for the Canadian portions, and, were we to do it again, we would have concentrated on Juno Beach and area.

Good luck. Visiting is a moving experience for anyone; particularly for Canadians.

Kevin

Which port? Cherbourg is closer to the American Beaches (Utah, Omaha), while Le Havre is closer to the Canadian (Juno) beach.

This looks interesting:

http://www.overlordtour.com/overlordtour-from-ports.html

They may be OK if you find a few others to share... they charge about 800 Euro to p/u at the port:eek:

We had a tour from Overlordtours and it was excellent. They will customize the tour for you. We had eight people so our cost was about 100 Euro each (plus lunch on our own). This tour was all day - from 8 am to 6 pm.

Perhaps you can get some other people on your roll call and have a full tour to see the Canadian sites. We really learned so much and our guide brought pictures of various places that were taken during the war and then we saw the same places as they are today.

Our groups was very happy with the tour.

We had a tour from Overlordtours and it was excellent. They will customize the tour for you. We had eight people so our cost was about 100 Euro each (plus lunch on our own). This tour was all day - from 8 am to 6 pm.

what Canadian sites did you see on the tour ?

For our tour, we saw the American sites. If you would like to arrange a tour of the Canadian sites, that is what they will do. The Canadian beaches are closer to LeHavre. We drove out to the furthest place we could visit on that day and worked our way back to the ship.

Alain, the owner of Overlordtours, was very prompt in answering my emails and questions. Our guide was Stephane and he was wonderful.

We visited St. Mer Eglise, Utah beach, Omaha beach, the American cemetary and several other places. Being in a small group gave us the opportunity to ask many questions and all the guides are WW11 historians so we really learned alot from Stephane.

I read The Longest Day before and again after our visit. Seeing these places made a huge impact on me and I just can't say enough about our day there!

For our tour, we saw the American sites. If you would like to arrange a tour of the Canadian sites, that is what they will do. The Canadian beaches are closer to LeHavre. We drove out to the furthest place we could visit on that day and worked our way back to the ship.

Thanks

It is much easier to find people to see the American sites than the Canadian ones that is our problem with the roll call

...not enough Canadians:D

Which cruise are you on? My dad is very interested in going to Juno so he'd probably be more than happy to join you. I think their ship sails on September 1 or so...?

thanks for the offer but unfortunately the dates do not coordinate. Hope he finds someone to share the tour with.

Jo.

Archived