So the Sun is finally coming to Port Canaveral!!!

frednsb

We are on the Sun next month in the Baltic and the service sounds lacking in the reviews posted. I can put up with a little wear and tear but not bad service.

The few items I've read, were positive about the service. Please let us all know how your trip goes.

I talked to an NCL rep today, who encouraged me to book the Sun in March of 2011. She mentioned that it will be dry-docked in Jan of this year, which several posters have referred to. She said that they will be replacing all the beds with the new bliss beds, will replace the carpets, re-paint and in general refresh the ship. She said it should be nice. I am seriously thinking about it!

I talked to an NCL rep today, who encouraged me to book the Sun in March of 2011. She mentioned that it will be dry-docked in Jan of this year, which several posters have referred to. She said that they will be replacing all the beds with the new bliss beds, will replace the carpets, re-paint and in general refresh the ship. She said it should be nice. I am seriously thinking about it!

That's the most information I've seen about the drydock touchups! Thanks for posting that, now I wish I could sail on her next year, oh well too bad I can't debark in Amsterdam instead of Copenhagen for her eastbound TA or I would book in a heartbeat.

We just booked this same promo. We were upgraded from a category C oceanview to a BC balcony. We are now going on the Sun both on January 29th (first sailing after the drydock - exciting) and March 26th. And.. anxiously awaiting our Epic sailing in just a little over two months. :) I forgot to mention that we also are getting a $150 OBC as well.

We will be sailing on Jan. 29th as well. visit us on the roll call for this sailing and let us get to know you.....

Sandy

I wonder if you travel to Port Everglades, can you tour or visit the ship in any way?

I am sailing the Sun in June 11. Nice to know she'll be nice and fresh. What's a Bliss bed?

Bliss beds are just very comfortable and luxurious.

I really liked the Sun. The drydock will only make her better.

There are some good reviews on this general board about recent Sun cruises (the Baltics - late May and Early June) as well as some on the "Reviews" board that will give details about the ship.

To answer a couple questions above, we were in an aft AE but met people from an Aft AC. They had one new flat screen and one old type tv in their room. I don't recall them saying they had the fancy coffee machine.

To answer the OPs question in regards to comparison to DCL, the 2 DCL ships are roughly 2-3 years older than the Sun, but IMO, the DCL ships look/feel about 5 years newer. I did overall like the Sun and the service.

The only concern I would have for those sailing out of Port Canaveral and visiting warmer climates is the size of the pools. Our trip was generally mid-upper 60's so there wasn't a lot of demand for the pools and there were only 40 kids on the ship.

There are two pools mid ship (excluding the little splash pool) - one adults only and one open to all. There are 4 hot tubs between the two pools. With only about 10 kids and a couple adults in the everyone pool, it was getting fairly crowded so going to an area with warmer climates might be an issue.

The 1/1/2011 cruise will our first cruise. It sounds like we chose a good ship to begin our cruising adventures on! This board has been extremely helpful to prepare me for what to expect (not that I was expecting the Loveboat) lol.

We really like the Sun, having sailed on her to the Western Caribbean a couple years ago and this summer in the Baltics, but she's not perfect. The library is smaller than most and sometimes reserved for group business meetings. The Garden Cafe is a crowded mess for breakfast almost from the moment the curtains go up on the buffet lines. The little round shower with the clingy curtain in our aft balcony room was hard to get used to. And bring your own coffee and filters for the in-room coffee maker -- which doesn't have a timer on it, dagnabit. The wifi hotspots are tiny and the connection is slow and expensive. Whining aside, though, sailing on the sun is one of the better ways to enjoy life.

Thanks for the info. I knew she was an older, smaller ship when I booked but it sounds like she might be just right for our first cruise. Having stayed in a college dorm room when our son had orientation this summer the shower sounds 10 times better. Is there anywhere else to eat breakfast other than the Garden Cafe?

Thanks for the info. I knew she was an older, smaller ship when I booked but it sounds like she might be just right for our first cruise. Having stayed in a college dorm room when our son had orientation this summer the shower sounds 10 times better. Is there anywhere else to eat breakfast other than the Garden Cafe?

Yes. In addition to the buffet, there is a main dining room, the outside garden cafe (outside and behind the buffet area), and Pacific Heights although Pacific Heights only had a waffle station and omelet station but you could bring your food from the buffet or outside area and sit in Pacific Heights and eat.

Just be flexible and you can manage around the buffet pretty easily.

Good points, Dex. As with all free-stylers, dining options abound even on the smaller craft. A point to make: Mary uses a rollator and prefers to breakfast midmorning and the Garden cafe was closest to our cabin. Mary is much better in crowds than Mike, who enjoys a morning cup of coffee in solitude.

Good points, Dex. As with all free-stylers, dining options abound even on the smaller craft. A point to make: Mary uses a rollator and prefers to breakfast midmorning and the Garden cafe was closest to our cabin. Mary is much better in crowds than Mike, who enjoys a morning cup of coffee in solitude.

You can always have room service deliver your morning coffee to your cabin, along with some pastry too if you wish. Simply hang the order card on your cabin door when you go to bed the night before.

There's no charge for the service but we usually tip a $ as a thank you.

I booked a western in Dec/10. Looking forward to the itinerary. Booked the CCL Dream when it got here too.

Booked a gty and got a funky cabin though.

Interesting that it will keep the Sat. to Sat. schedule this year with xmas and NYs both a Sat. Last thing I would want to do on xmas or NYs is get on a cruise ship and I live 3 miles away.

Archived