A great weekend cruise! Monarch: 6-18-10

This was my second cruise on Monarch OTS, and my third time with RCI. I covered most general topics about the Monarch in my first review of her. Not much has changed in the year and a half since then, so this will be fairly brief. My original Monarch review with lots of pictures can be viewed at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892719

Our group of twelve friends and family drove down to the port on the day of the cruise. The embarkation process at Port Canaveral went slowly, taking over an hour for us to get from the parking lot to the lobby of the ship. I chalk this up to our late arrival at 1 PM. I normally try to be at the pier around 11 AM but work got in the way this time.

We were upgraded to a Superior Ocean View room from an interior cabin. It was a pleasant surprise, as my biggest complaint about our first Monarch cruise was the miniscule accommodations. The bathroom was still painfully small, as was the case in my first cabin on Monarch. The shower was equipped with the loathsome “attack curtain” that has a tendency to Saran Wrap itself to anyone who dares intrusion into its realm. I wish some engineer would figure out a way to retro fit all ships with the delightful sliding door enclosure like the Freedom class has.

Our cabin, 9012

232323232%7Ffp43357%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A4468326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43363%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A446%3A326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43354%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A5648326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43432%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A5665326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43369%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A566%3B326nu0mrj

The ship itself has not changed much since my last visit. I did notice some construction up in the Viking Crown Lounge. A crew was replacing some lighting in the ceiling, and I overheard two of them discussing a dance floor. I’m not sure how it all falls together, but I got the impression that they were trying to make the area more club-like. Also, there is now signage at the aft elevators advertising a “Club 14 VC”.

232323232%7Ffp4336%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A6958326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43348%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A56%3C3326nu0mrj

Food and service in the Windjammer were adequate as usual. The upstairs area of the Jade has been modified into a quasi Japanese steakhouse since my last visit. We never ate up there, so I can’t comment on the quality of the food. We had late seating dinner in the main dining room and our wait staff was excellent. The food was also very good.

Our first stop was in Nassau. After many visits there, I found it hard to muster any excitement upon arrival in port. The cheap beers helped to ease the malaise, but our time off the ship was brief. The formal dinner was excellent and included the escargots appetizer. By far my favorite RCI exclusive dish, I had three orders. Later that night I stopped by the deck party. They had the same buffet as on my previous cruise, but I was sad to see that the freshly grilled fajitas were no longer available.

232323232%7Ffp43362%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A56%3C7326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4336%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3376%3B%3A6978326nu0mrj

My visit to Coco Cay consisted of looking at the island from Monarch’s pool deck. This was a decision that I was immensely pleased with, as I had unimpaired access to the pools and hot tubs. For a moment I almost didn’t recognize the Jacuzzis. They are normally full of children apparently unaware or unconcerned with the fact that there are two perfectly good “kiddy pools” on the Monarch. The afternoon spent on an almost empty pool deck was certainly pleasant. I then watched our last sail away from my usual perch in the Viking Crown Lounge. The Quest on the last night was awesome; anyone who has never been to one should go.

Debarkation went so smoothly I almost didn’t believe it. After a less than stellar embarkation, I had reservations. But we simply walked through the lobby when they called for self assist passengers to leave and right down the gangway. The Customs Officer barely gave us a glance as we handed him our declaration form, and we were to the car in less than ten minutes total. One of, if not the, easiest debarkations I have ever experienced.

This was another great cruise although it was much too short. There were very few problems, the worst infraction made by the room steward who forgot to make our room up on the second night. I had an excellent time overall, and will hopefully cruise on Monarch again in the near future

The upstairs area of the Jade has been modified into a quasi Japanese steakhouse since my last visit.

actually, Jade has been there since the MN was in CA......they just added a few new food items to the menu,but they didnt modify the actual restaurant..

and i agree how fast customs gets you thru.......2 weeks ago,the officer took my paperwork and quickly looked at my passport.......told him how quick it all was and he said SHOO!:eek::eek:

actually, jade has been there since the mn was in ca......they just added a few new food items to the menu,but they didnt modify the actual restaurant..

And i agree how fast customs gets you thru.......2 weeks ago,the officer took my paperwork and quickly looked at my passport.......told him how quick it all was and he said shoo!:eek::eek:

lol!!!

Thank you for the great pictures and review! This will be our first time on Royal Caribbean, and we are so excited! We are also from Ocala, and I was just wondering how long it takes to get to Port Canaveral-we have only cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks again for the pictures.

Thank you for the great pictures and review! This will be our first time on Royal Caribbean, and we are so excited! We are also from Ocala, and I was just wondering how long it takes to get to Port Canaveral-we have only cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks again for the pictures.

Google Maps says two and a quarter hours.

Thank you:)

Figure on 2 1/2 hours if you are like us...........first stop to get coffee at the Pilot(Belleview exit on 75),then stop at the service plaza on the tpke........then we fill up with gas(so we dont have to when we get off the ship) on Merritt Island..........last exit before the ships..:).where in Ocala are you??So many Ocalans on here......we're in the SE ,off Maricamp

Thanks for your post and wonderful cabin pictures. My sister and I are sailing on Monarch in September in a SOV so it's nice to see in advance what the cabin looks like. It looks like your view from the window was between lifeboats..although we are further back on the ship, I think our view is between lifeboats too.

Kathy

It takes me almost exactly 2 hours, but I go straight through with no stops.

Thanks for your post and wonderful cabin pictures. My sister and I are sailing on Monarch in September in a SOV so it's nice to see in advance what the cabin looks like. It looks like your view from the window was between lifeboats..although we are further back on the ship, I think our view is between lifeboats too.

Kathy

The lifeboat was directly in front of and below the window, but there was still a very nice view. The lifeboat only blocks the downward angle.

Figure on 2 1/2 hours if you are like us...........first stop to get coffee at the Pilot(Belleview exit on 75),then stop at the service plaza on the tpke........then we fill up with gas(so we dont have to when we get off the ship) on Merritt Island..........last exit before the ships..:).where in Ocala are you??So many Ocalans on here......we're in the SE ,off Maricamp

We live off Maricamp too-over by Greenway Elementary. I am much like you about my coffee-HAVE to have at least one cup to get me going in the morning. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Thanks for the review and more importantly the pictures of the cabin. Have been on the Monarch 3 times already but never in a SOV (inside and two outside all on deck 7 our fav..) After seeing your pictures and the price's of SOV for cruises in the next month we had to book to give it a try. Of course they will prob have other rooms with a lower rate but the SOV looks so nice. As I tell my DW "it's like a big ship's room." (we always joke the the Monarch tries to be like the "big kids" but she's close and great for a weekend getaway so we will keep going back.

Thanks again!

How did you get the upgrade?

Just lucky timing, we booked an interior guarantee, but the SOVs went on sale for cheaper than we paid a few days after we booked. We called in hoping for an OBC, but they said no. But they did upgrade us to SOV, which I enjoyed a lot more than an OBC!

and i agree how fast customs gets you thru.......2 weeks ago,the officer took my paperwork and quickly looked at my passport.......told him how quick it all was and he said SHOO!:eek::eek:

Maybe they recognize you! :)

Marci

DarthVady: We are booked for a third time on the Monarch in December 2010. Tell me: is Desmond still in the VC Lounge? Great bar waiter.

Sorry, can't help there. I only ordered one drink up there, and I can't recall the guys name.

We live off Maricamp too-over by Greenway Elementary. I am much like you about my coffee-HAVE to have at least one cup to get me going in the morning. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.
We're between Baseline and 36th.........right down the road by the Kwik King..:D

Maybe they recognize you! :)

Marci

hahah..........ya never know..

DarthVady: We are booked for a third time on the Monarch in December 2010. Tell me: is Desmond still in the VC Lounge? Great bar waiter.

He went on vacation a few weeks back,so I bet he will be there in Dec....

Archived