Gelato Question

maninmontreal

Ok this is horrible, but I have a place to recommend, but I have NO IDEA what the name of the place was. :confused:

If you're in Venice....

From the area where all the water taxes drop you off, walk yourself into St Marks Square....you'll enter into the square with St Mark's Basilica on your right, waling towards the clocktower that's diagonal from the basilica. If you walk past the Basilica toward the clocktower (along the long end basically), and you walk about 1/2 down to your left within the square, there's an awesome place. Maybe someone here will have gone there lol. My bf's brother to this day (some 8 months later) raves about how good that gelato was! I looked through my pictures, but it was one place I actually didn't take a picture of! Lesson learned.

Thanks for the tip Yvie. I am doing an shore-excursion to St. Paul de Vence. Do you happen to recall the name of the place where you bought it?

I don't remember the name of the place, but it was just past the entrance. On the left you will see a restaurant and the terrace seating for the restaurant is on the right. The gelato was right next to the restaurant. We visited there in the summer of 2008. Enjoy!

According to my favorite gelato tasters, DH and DS, the best gelato is at Vivoli. They also gave kudos to some gelato they had in Barcelona and said it was "almost as good." I think their goal is to taste gelato everywhere, so that they can make a fair comparison!

My personal favorite is apricot, but they are all good.

Ohiodoglover

Vivoli is definitely worth the trip to Florence. I'm a sucker for chocolate and orange and their chocolate-orange gelato is as close to heaven as you'll get in this lifetime.

In Rome, I've tried San Crispino (not impressed) and Giolitti, but my favorite is Blue Ice. There are several around town, the most convenient being on a side street off the Trevi Fountain. (As you're facing the fountain you follow the little street on your left.) Excellent gelato - not as good as Vivoli, but Vivoli is only in Florence.

Oh, and for another ice cream treat, when you're at the Piazza Navona go to Tre Scalini (which is a restaurant and a cafe). Order a Tartufo to take away. (Eating in will cost a lot more.) You will get a heavenly frozen concoction covered in chocolate on the outside with a surprise in the center.

...What is a reasonable price for 2 scoops?

I've seen it anywhere from 2-6 euros for a small cup. If you're real close to a main sight, then the price is usually higher.

Believe it or not, DH hasn't ever tried gelato. I get it almost daily and he isn't interested. However, we don't go to Rome when it is really hot out so it's not like he needs to cool off.

I've seen it anywhere from 2-6 euros for a small cup. If you're real close to a main sight, then the price is usually higher.

Believe it or not, DH hasn't ever tried gelato. I get it almost daily and he isn't interested. However, we don't go to Rome when it is really hot out so it's not like he needs to cool off.

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to tell me what a normal price is. :)

Vivoli is definitely worth the trip to Florence. I'm a sucker for chocolate and orange and their chocolate-orange gelato is as close to heaven as you'll get in this lifetime.

In Rome, I've tried San Crispino (not impressed) and Giolitti, but my favorite is Blue Ice. There are several around town, the most convenient being on a side street off the Trevi Fountain. (As you're facing the fountain you follow the little street on your left.) Excellent gelato - not as good as Vivoli, but Vivoli is only in Florence.

Oh, and for another ice cream treat, when you're at the Piazza Navona go to Tre Scalini (which is a restaurant and a cafe). Order a Tartufo to take away. (Eating in will cost a lot more.) You will get a heavenly frozen concoction covered in chocolate on the outside with a surprise in the center.

Chocolate orange gelato? Geez, how did we miss that? Gotta go back!

I'm intruigued.:) Gosh, I'm going to love Italy!

• 3 weeks later...
How sweet is a gelato. I cannot have more than 5gms sugar in anything I eat.

I believe I saw sugar-free gelato in Rome, where we purchased ours close to Trevi Fountain. We paid 6 EUR for 2 scoops in a bowl.

It was okay, but I wasn't impressed, to me it was more of a sorbet, than ice cream. I think the guy at the shop said it was made with non-fat milk, so it wasn't really creamy like our ice cream. And my husband is from St. Louis and is Italian. He remembered eating gelato when he was a child and couldn't wait to try it in Italy. I think we had gelato in Sicily, Benevento, Verona, Venice, Rome, Naples, and up at Stresa by Lake Maggiore. He was very disappointed that it didn't hit his taste buds as it had when he was child.

Archived