Yall think I can do my first cruise with nothing but a carryon? its 5 days.

TnMama

Hey, I was wondering what you vets thought about this. Since youve ALL been helpful, I thought I would ask in here. You think I can pack enough stuff for 6 days total with nothing but my small rolling suitcase? Im trying to save about 50 bucks in baggage fee's. {Me and everyone else in America}. So I was just wondering. Its going to be my first time so I wonder if maybe I should be more seasoned to try this. Any tips?

I know to make outfits work for more than one day, got that covered.

Im lessinging the amount of travel toiletries to take,and take my chances with the stuff on the ship and only carry cond,toothpaste,deoderant and my medicines with me.small hair brush,travel dryer,and some hair spray,all FAA approved sizes. My roomie and I are just going to buy a big bottle of sunblock to share for the sailing.

Shoes, less is more. i KNOW I can get by with only 3 pair, all black. One pair dressy shoes for night time,one pair dressier thongs to travel in,and one pair old Navy black or purple flip flops.

She and I talked at length this morning about what we really can cut out of our suticases. Neither of us plan on buying a bunch of happies to bring home either.

So I need tips please on how to do my 1st time with a carryon. THe plan is to pack everything in it to see if it fits. and if it does not, then figure out how to MAKE it work...

Hey, I was wondering what you vets thought about this. Since youve ALL been helpful, I thought I would ask in here. You think I can pack enough stuff for 6 days total with nothing but my small rolling suitcase? Im trying to save about 50 bucks in baggage fee's. {Me and everyone else in America}. So I was just wondering. Its going to be my first time so I wonder if maybe I should be more seasoned to try this. Any tips?

I know to make outfits work for more than one day, got that covered.

Im lessinging the amount of travel toiletries to take,and take my chances with the stuff on the ship and only carry cond,toothpaste,deoderant and my medicines with me.small hair brush,travel dryer,and some hair spray,all FAA approved sizes. My roomie and I are just going to buy a big bottle of sunblock to share for the sailing.

Shoes, less is more. i KNOW I can get by with only 3 pair, all black. One pair dressy shoes for night time,one pair dressier thongs to travel in,and one pair old Navy black or purple flip flops.

She and I talked at length this morning about what we really can cut out of our suticases. Neither of us plan on buying a bunch of happies to bring home either.

So I need tips please on how to do my 1st time with a carryon. THe plan is to pack everything in it to see if it fits. and if it does not, then figure out how to MAKE it work...

You should have no problem. I believe the line you are sailing on has no set upscale dress code. In fact if properly planned you can get it all into a good sized gym bag. Five days = 3 "t"s for day time and 3 for evening (rinse them out and hang in the cabin) two pairs of shorts for day time (same rinse deal) flip flops on/off and day time. One pair nicer slipper types for evening along with fancier shorts or slacks - one pair would do it but two in case of an accident. 3 sets of undies ( again the rinse routine) two mini suits for the pool, spartan on the toilitries and you are good to go.

Share spray on deodorant and shampoos, if you're both similar sizes consider taking a sun dress each that will fit the other...

of course, have you though about sharing one big suitcase to go in the hold, and sharing the cost of that... then you can take more flip flops:p

of course 'just in case' items like pain relievers, hay fever tablets and mossie creams can be shared too.

the only thing she and I can share is sun block. Im 2 of my roomie. lol.

I think Im goning to do that wear and toss out your undies thing. I need some new ones.

Im only taking one swim suit and washing it each night...Maybe I can do this...

You are probably allowed a carry on & one personal item, maybe use a big beach bag type carry all to put your purse in, plus you can stuff whatever won't fit in your carry on in it.

Also, this may be a case where compression bags come in handy.

My family (DH, 9 y.o. son and I) did a 5-day out of Galveston in March. We each had only a carry-on suitcase, and my son and I had one other "personal item" (he had his school backpack and I had a large purse). We had no trouble at all. Being able to mix and match is the key. I still had a very nice outfit for formal night, appropriate shoes, etc. for dinner on other nights. My big purse was big enough for flip flops, 3-1-1 bag, rolled-up bathing suit and my small roll-up jewelry case.

Mix and match, and take shoes that can go with your dinner outfit on all (or most) nights.

Have fun! Packing lightly is the way to go :-) (just imho, of course!)

i am an OVERPACKER i barely could do a carry-on for a land vacation in vegas 5 days.....lol....but i think now i could do a CRUISE with a CARRY-on and a PERSONAL carry-on--be sure to have a tote, purse, backpack or something too....GO FOR IT:)GOOD LUCK...you can always squeeze another pair of shoes in your bag and carry flipflops in your personal carry on....remember you cant take aerosol cans no matter how small they are.

Yall,Im taking a back pack as my personal item,so I can throw a change of clothes in it if I have to. Purse into the Back pack is a good idea.

Jan~!~ Even though my hair spray says FAA Approved? I cant take my hair spray or mouse? Ive ALWAYS cked a bag,but that was before airline started charging out the A$$ for a bag.

and I did a trial run,and everything seems to have fit!!! Im hopping up happy at being so clever! lol.

My first Carnival cruise was on Valor when it was brand new. I did it with a carry-on. During the day I stayed in either swimsuits or shorts and the evenings were simple linen pants or skirts. I think we only dressed up once, it it was 7 days. The first day we were in the same clothes that we embarked on, and the last night we could wear what we wanted into the dinning room because luggage was being taken. I actually got to keep mine because if you can deal with it on your own no worries.

Enjoy your trip!

Yall,Im taking a back pack as my personal item,so I can throw a change of clothes in it if I have to. Purse into the Back pack is a good idea.

Jan~!~ Even though my hair spray says FAA Approved? I cant take my hair spray or mouse? Ive ALWAYS cked a bag,but that was before airline started charging out the A$$ for a bag.

and I did a trial run,and everything seems to have fit!!! Im hopping up happy at being so clever! lol.

You can take hairspray, mouse Personal care/toiletries are exceptions to the no aerosol rule.

I prefer to travel with carry on only, I just did a cruise and land vacation and packed more and will be happy to go back to being a carry on only girl.

Kelly

Thanks soooo much yall. Im even more excited NOW,since Ive saved 50 bucks near bout, NOT cking a bag. I just hope once everything gets for real packed, I have enough room. My toiletry bag got down from a large bag to a quart size zip loc baggie. woo hoo on that. I dont wear a lot of make up and dont need a lot of goo to make me purdy. {that sounds vain, how bout I say Im a minimalist}. So Ill be good to go in that dept too. May makeup bag can fit down into my back pack. My flip flops can line my suitcase,and my dressy heels can sit on top. good thing theyre kitten heels. I REFUSE to buy anything else for this cruise!!!except batteries for my camera. and once Roomie and I get off the plane, hit a Walmart or Dollar tree for some sunblock of the large bottle kind. If we only use half of it, esp if we get the Dollar tree kind, it wont break our meager banks. Im wearing Jeans to fly in,and plan to wear them home too. I can just wash out my capris I need to wear on day one and the last day. wooo hooo. Sarah is ready to leave,like NOW!!!

another question: DO any of you ck your plane carry on at the pier? I think Im going to do that,just so I dont have to sit on my luggage for 2 or more hrs waiting on our room to get ready.{Im sailing outta Jax on Carnival}

I wouldn't check my personal bag with id, money, camera, etc. That is my personal opinion. And could you fit one more bathing suit? I can't stand putting on a cold wet suit, but you'll do fine if you choose to do one.

I will kepp that stuff in my back pack on my person. I take medicine too and can not have that gone from me. Id be a nut case for a week with out my phych meds! lol. and you made me ROFLOL about the swim suit. I probably can fit another one in there. Id planned on taking 2 in the first place. one is small,one is a swim dress. I can put that in my back pack though incase the water slides look too tempting that first day,lol.

Great! Where are you cruising? What are your excursions? I am so living viciously right now.

We're going to half moon cay and Nassau. Excusrions, not so much. lay out on the beach in HMC,and in Nassau kinda do our own walking tour and just toddle around. How bout you?

i was told no aerosol cans...they took a small (within limit) size of my cologne spray last year and a fren of mine hairspray--i think that was LA

i cant remember just remember it being taken...

i was told no aerosol cans...they took a small (within limit) size of my cologne spray last year and a fren of mine hairspray--i think that was LA

i cant remember just remember it being taken...

thanks for that heads up. if they make me toss it,ill just hit a dollar tree for more cheap hair spray. Im such a big spender on stuff like that,lol.

Aerosol cans are fine if they are personal sized. If carrying onto a plane, they need to be 3.4 oz. or less and fit into your 3-1-1 bag.

I can do a carry on for that length of trip and I have, even before luggage charges. Of course, I checked the bag instead of lugging it onto the plane. I am the type who wants to be as unemcumbered on a plane as possible. I usually just take a large purse and sometimes my husband and I have a shared small rollaboard.

another question: DO any of you ck your plane carry on at the pier? I think Im going to do that,just so I dont have to sit on my luggage for 2 or more hrs waiting on our room to get ready.{Im sailing outta Jax on Carnival}

i did it once and NEVER again...the reason for having the carry-on is incase my checked bags dont make it..i didnt have time to take out some of my jewelry and WORRIED about it the whole time...my carry-on and my personal bag go right on the ship with me along with my little soft shoulder carry cooler.

Aerosol cans are fine if they are personal sized. If carrying onto a plane, they need to be 3.4 oz. or less and fit into your 3-1-1 bag.

i guess it just depends sometimes...i have found that to be true at different airports what you can take on doesnt always FLY (pardon the pun.....lol...) at another...VERY INCONSISTENT....well i think i will try for

a travel size when i fly next and see....

Im going to try it and see if it will "fly". {lol,Jan} I picked up my bag last night,and its not heavy,so far...so I wont mind heaving it,all the while to thinking,im saving money....

My jewelry Im taking is costume.even my wedding rings. Ive got a travel set I got off ebay cheap,plus Ill stash my lil box with my dressy stuff in my back pack. when it comes to jewelry,if it dont fit into the box my pearls came in,it dont go.I dont want to carry a bunch of stuff to pot. loose.So im sticking with just a pair of small silver plated hoops,my wedding rings,and a black sapphire ring I got from Avon. total cost to be jeweled up, like 20 bucks,lol.Im not a big necklace person.but am taking 2. plus some cute green earrings that match one of my necklaces. Im getting so excited about it all,yall!!! thanks sooo much for all the tips..more would be appreciated too.

Oh, on the compression bags, will a ziploc bag I sit on to squeeze air out of work the same way? ty

We spend 10 days on St John every winter and have no problem bringing enough in our carry ons. We started doing it for the simple facts that 1. we didn't want to hope our luggage made it (never can get direct flights) 2. getting to the island is not easy and the less luggage the better 3. it makes life easier coming and going!

Our rule of thumb:

1. Buy anything you can on island- sun screen, toothpaste etc.

2. Take advantage of travel size bottles- I have refillable ones I use for my facial cleansers, moisturizers etc.

3. Take double duty clothing items- a dress that can be worn to dinner and as a cover up at the beach. Shoes that go with multiple outfits. Great basics like linen pants or a terrific skirt that can go with a variety of tops.

4. Take advantage of laundry services.

5. Accessories- you can change the look of an outfit with a change of accessories and they don't take up much space.

Have fun, I have found that by streamlining our packing, I have a much more relaxing time before, during and after the vacation.

Oh, on the compression bags, will a ziploc bag I sit on to squeeze air out of work the same way? ty

Hi, it won't work exactly the same, but it will help quite a bit, you could try rolling them up to get all the air out too, won't help you weight wise, but will give you extra space... Lucky you, getting ready to cruise with your buddies, I'm getting ready for MIL to stay with us for 5 days:eek:

Hi, it won't work exactly the same, but it will help quite a bit, you could try rolling them up to get all the air out too, won't help you weight wise, but will give you extra space... Lucky you, getting ready to cruise with your buddies, I'm getting ready for MIL to stay with us for 5 days:eek:

LOL, at MIL comment. Mine used to live 1 1/2 hrs from us,but now we moved closer to DH's home. So now shes only 5 minutes from here. makes it conveneint when Monkey {3} pulls a "can I spend the night, pweeezzzeee?". they have him rotten! Ill have to try the bag things. Ive been packing more today too. Less is more. Ive got some lienen capris' I plan on wearning them on day 2 and day 4. Swimsuit for beach day at HMC,plus a cover up, and the next day in Nassau, a light pair of cargo capri's and a tank top. Dress for dinner in black pants,and same shirt 2 nights,and 2 dresses. all fold up teeny.

Archived