Anchorage to Seaward, tansportation

ncdisneynut

Ok, the plan was to do the railroad from Anchorage to Seaward with goldstar seats. They are all filled up. So would it be better to still do the train and do the regular seats or what are the other options? Does anyone have specific recommendations as to other transfers?

It is Seward.

Absolutely YES, the regular train service is JUST FINE. Not sure what you are expecting?? Your priority is the "train"???? Or is it your scenic transit option? You need to determine this, BUT, unless you are going for a private limo, :) your only other transit options are going to be a one way car rental with Hertz or a bus.

I took the train on the 13th and enjoyed it very much. We sat in cattle class and the view was OK from there, but on our trip there was always an opening in the dome car as well. There is a bistro car with food items, beverages, and even cocktails (it's five o'clock somewhere...). We saw bunches of moose and others saw bear and sheep (I can't see well enough to have caught the bear, and I can never tell if I am looking at a goat or a sheep on a mountain or just a clump of white snow... ;))

I took a bus with sight-seeing on the Anchorage-Whittier trip last year. That was also good, and of course it is a different trip for part of the way, but I think views are better from the train. I was really looking forward to trying the train on that very scenic run through Alaska!

While we were on the landportion of our recent RCI excursion in Alaska, we were given the option of upgrading to the Alaska railroad train from Anchorage to Seward for a mere $25 per person. The train left Anchorage from the Anchorage Airport station at around 1pm and was in brand new, single level observation cars (glass windows that extended up and over the roof. While we previously have done the motorcoach transfer, we felt that the train, especially once it moved away from the roadway that the bus has to ride, provided a much superior experience. Weather that day was pretty much overcast and we felt that had we stayed with the bus and arrived at the ship at noon we probably wouldn't have gotten off the ship once we boarded, so arriving shipside on the train around 6pm wasn't a negative and the scenery that we saw made this leg the best of the three rail legs of our tour.

If you have a similar opportunity, don't hesitate to take it.:)

While we were on the landportion of our recent RCI excursion in Alaska, we were given the option of upgrading to the Alaska railroad train from Anchorage to Seward for a mere $25 per person. The train left Anchorage from the Anchorage Airport station at around 1pm and was in brand new, single level observation cars (glass windows that extended up and over the roof. While we previously have done the motorcoach transfer, we felt that the train, especially once it moved away from the roadway that the bus has to ride, provided a much superior experience. Weather that day was pretty much overcast and we felt that had we stayed with the bus and arrived at the ship at noon we probably wouldn't have gotten off the ship once we boarded, so arriving shipside on the train around 6pm wasn't a negative and the scenery that we saw made this leg the best of the three rail legs of our tour.

If you have a similar opportunity, don't hesitate to take it.:)

negc,

You are correct and we agree with all of your comments. We originally planned to take the Gold Star service and then made a reservation with RCI for the 1:00 PM train. We were totally impressed with the rail service, the cars, the food, the narration from our bartender and the amount of wildlife we saw on the 4 hr 20 minute ride. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

Jerry

Archived