Flight from Vancouver Airport

taxmantoo

If the ship sails into Vancouver and is ready for debarkation at 7 am, would a 10:55 am flight be too early or would a later flight be preferable? We do not have to go through Customs...flying to Ottawa.

Thank you!

I would not do it. Your ship could be late and our experieince is that the drive to the airport was around 45 minutes. Could be longer depending on traffic. Then there is the issue of checking in, going through security and also going through USA customs. I wouldn't take the chance and we were last in Vancouver last August so we have first hand experieince.

Keith

It should be okay if you're in the first group off the ship or you do a self-disembark - I don't know if HAL has this.

The exception would be if your cruise is one of the first of the season into Vancouver. Canada Place can be quite a zoo at that time. This year, there were a lot of delays (we arrived on May 15th this year and it was a madhouse).

I'm a bit confused by your countdown clock. It has you coming in March, but the first ships of the Alaska season usually arrive in early May.

I'm a bit confused by your countdown clock. It has you coming in March, but the first ships of the Alaska season usually arrive in early May.

Thanks for catching that... it should actually be April and will change it. We are leaving San Diego on April 23 and get to Vancouver on May 7.

Thanks for catching that... it should actually be April and will change it. We are leaving San Diego on April 23 and get to Vancouver on May 7.

In that case, I'd try to get a later flight to be on the safe side. You'd still probably be okay for a 10:55 am flight, but after our experience this year, it could be dicey. We did self-disembarkation and got off just after 8:30, but others were delayed much longer. I think it depends on your comfort level. I'm a bit of a wuss. :)

I probably will sound like a broken record but get the later flight.

Don't listed to advice that says you should be OK, etc.

You want to know that you will definitely be OK. And that is why getting a flight at 12:00 Noon is a better option. It is just not worth taking the chance of missing the flight and/or being worried about it during the course of the cruise.

Keith

First off, I assume that you realize that you will have to clear Canadian customs at Canada Place when you disembark. Having said that, if you can self-disembark then you should be clear of customs and out getting a cab or heading for the new Canada Line at Waterfront Station by 9 am latest. YVR is 26 mins by Canada Line and 35 mins by cab...allow 45 mins so you should be at YVR by 9:45 which is slightly over a hour before a domestic flight...so you should be just fine. If you can't self-disembark then I would be considering a flight at least and hour later.

Thanks to all. Have been to Vancouver many, many times for work but never for a cruise. Was booking with Aeroplan points so needed to act quickly and long time in advance to spend the least amount of points. We have finally settled on a 1 pm departure.

Thanks again!

Archived