HOHO in Barcelona

ronnie64

Was planning on taking the HOHO around town for 1 day and am now having some reservation. How crowded is this bus in high season, July? Will we be spending much more time waiting in line that really touring?

You don't say how many total days you will be in Barcelona. Two ways to look at it - 1) if you are there at least 3 days, you have time to hit up several sites with much easier ways to get around, and 2)

if, however, you are only there a short amount of time the day before, the bus certainly gives you a good overview of the city.

Lots of buses come and go constantly but found that many times you may not find seats together or any left on the top open air portion of the buses at some very popular sites (Segrada Familia, Park Guell, etc) or may find yourself waiting for the next bus.

Our experience FWIW: we were there 3.5 days precruise and due to a myriad of unforeseen obstacles just making it to Spain was a triumph in itself and we arrived much later the first day than planned. Around 5pm, after checking into the hotel, walking the Rambla from top to bottom, the bus offered us a way to do something productive for a few hours that first day so we got on it, completed the loop listening to commentary rather than sleeping or wasting time doing nothing. With a 2 day pass the next day we visited a few sites but found Metro, cabs, etc were other options to get around much faster after that.

My 2 cents HOHO works or can be the wrong thing depending on how you like to see the town.

Its convenient with one bus ride almost the whole city. There are several routes with stops all along the way. You got to pick and once one got to do the route the way its laid down even if you don't want to see the stadium for example The other downside is that at each stop you have to wait for next bus if you get off, and the lines at the bigger /popular places are long and crowded ( especiall in the summer ). If you only have one day and want to get a drive by of everything then a good way. If you have a day or two and only want to see 3 or 4 things I think a cab is MUCH more time efficient.

Enjoy Barcelona

Was planning on taking the HOHO around town for 1 day and am now having some reservation. How crowded is this bus in high season, July? Will we be spending much more time waiting in line that really touring?

i am wondering how long it takes to ride the whole loop around. we have a day and a half precruise and the same postcruise. it has been suggested to me that we could ride one loop just to get a general overview of the city and the next day go back to the places we really wanted to see. we will be there in November, so I am hoping there will be much smaller crowds than summer.

Beverly

Did the HOHO bus in Barcelona in May. It's a great way to see the city.

There are 3 routes - red, blue & green. Each route would take close to 2 hours (if you don't get off). Each passenger is supplied with earphones and the commentary is available in several languages. The open top section of the bus is best (assuming the weather is good). I would recommend the red route as first choice, but enjoyed all. Cost for 1 day is 22 Euro (or 18 for concession). It should not be too overcrowded in November. The buses come along every 5-10 minutes, so you don't have to wait long.

You don't say how many total days you will be in Barcelona.

We are in Barcelona for a day and a half pre-cruise. A 2 hour loop--4 hours if you do both red and blue lines--just to get an overview seems like a lot of time wasted. I was thinking more of using the bus truly as HOHO to get to the sites that we had already determined were must see. Is the metro a more effecient method for us? With such short time? Don't mind taking the whole loop around to see the sites we want but don't want to have to wait because bus is already full. Also any idea how late this bus runs? Don't see it on the website.

You don't say how many total days you will be in Barcelona.

We are in Barcelona for a day and a half pre-cruise. A 2 hour loop--4 hours if you do both red and blue lines--just to get an overview seems like a lot of time wasted. I was thinking more of using the bus truly as HOHO to get to the sites that we had already determined were must see. Is the metro a more effecient method for us? With such short time? Don't mind taking the whole loop around to see the sites we want but don't want to have to wait because bus is already full. Also any idea how late this bus runs? Don't see it on the website.

It is not time wasted if you really want to absorb the city, get your bearings, and don't have the stamina after a long flight...it's a productive use of time, as mentioned above. The audio tour is worthwhile too.

That said, it sounds like the metro is a better choice for you. If you do choose the HOHO and want to do HOHO, see if there are seats downstairs for your speed and efficiency. Most folks want to be up on top, and on the second day, we used the downstairs. If there are other ships in port, usage thins in high traffic areas (Sagrada, Park Guell e.g.) in the afternoon as people head back to port.

I found the HOHO in Barcelona extremely frustrating to use as Ronnie64 is thinking of doing (e.g., as a true "Hop on, hop off" mode of transport). Beware -- once you "hop off" at a site, you may have to let one or even two buses pass by before there is enough room for you to get back on. I think this is because most people "hop on" and then stay put. It does waste a lot of time. So much so that I scrapped the second day of the two-day pass I'd bought and just used the metro (and the occasional cab) to get around.

I don't know about July, but it was packed when I tried using it in early April, and I can't imagine the crowds or traffic get any better.....:eek:

Well, I think I will leave this up in the air for now. We will be in Barcelona July15-16. I WAS going to get advanced tickets for the HOHO planning more on using it the second day for transportation. Now I think I will just wait and see and lean more towarrd the metro. There is always the chance that we will be very jet lagged the first day and not up to the walk down Las Ramblas and the Gothic quarter I have planned. In that case, we can always go HOHO and as many say, get an overview. I think we will definitely be using the metro on day 2 to get an early start a Sagrada and beat the lines as we will have to embark this day.

Thanks to all for the opinions and suggestions!! As usual, these forums are very informative and I am sure going to make for a better trip.:)

We will be in Barcelona on the 16th and 17th (after our Ruby Princess cruise). We pretty much know what we want to see and what we are going to tour and the HOHO made no sense for that as it seems to be more of a drive by tour than a means of transportation. For that, we'll walk, take public transportation, or cabs. With the crowding and not being able to get back on after getting off, it seems like a poor use of time.

I found the map/guide and have it in front of me so here is anything you can possibly want to know. We used the red Barcelona Tours bus. One loop is 2 hours the other 2 hours 15 minutes. Here are the loops as they travel:

West Route goes from Placa Catalunya to: Catedral-Gotic, Passeig de Colom, World Trade Center, Jardins de Miramar, Fundaco Joan Miro, Anella Olimpica, MNAC, Poble Espanyol, Mies vander Rohe, Placa d'Espanya, Stacio de Sants, Camp Nou, Placa Pius XII, L'lla Diagonal, La Pedrera and Casa Batilo.

East route goes from Placa Catalunya to: Catedral-Gotic, Port Veil, Museu d'Historia de Catalunya, Barceloneta, Port Olimpic, Platja del Bogatell, Nova Mar Bella, Forum, Glories-Torre Agbar, Sagrada Familia, Hospital de Sants Pau, Park Guell, Tibidabo, La Pedrera and ends at Casa Batillo.

Begin 9am and runs till 7pm in winter, 8pm in summer. It did give a good overview of the city and the history but as you can see, maybe not a lot of stops people may want to get off except for the east route for Segarada Familia and Park Guell. Cost: Adults pay 22 euro one day, 29 euro two days, senior citizens 65+ pay 18 and 22 euro respectively and kids 4 to 12 pay 14 and 18 euro respectively. Kids under 4 free.

Thanks for that information. I was wondering when the bus stopped running. 8pm in summer may have some use for us as I said maybe on the first day. The savings to get advanced tickets I think is not worth it as am still unsure if will go with it or not. Don't want to be tied in.

Well, I think I will leave this up in the air for now. We will be in Barcelona July15-16. I WAS going to get advanced tickets for the HOHO planning more on using it the second day for transportation. Now I think I will just wait and see and lean more towarrd the metro. There is always the chance that we will be very jet lagged the first day and not up to the walk down Las Ramblas and the Gothic quarter I have planned. In that case, we can always go HOHO and as many say, get an overview. I think we will definitely be using the metro on day 2 to get an early start a Sagrada and beat the lines as we will have to embark this day.

Thanks to all for the opinions and suggestions!! As usual, these forums are very informative and I am sure going to make for a better trip.:)

I would pass on the HOHO. You will waste too much time and not worth the cost. And the buses are not allowed down La Rambla or into the old Gothic Quarter. So you really don't see much from the HOHO and they always seem to be going opposite to where you are heading. Taxies are cheap in Barcelona. With only one full day, I would take a cab to La Segrada at 9:00AM when it opens. After Segrada walk to La Pedrera. It takes only 20 min. Then walk down Pg de Gracia past Casa Batllo, Casa Amatller and Casa Lleo Morera to P. Cataluna and the start of La Rambla. Definately go into the Mercat de la Boqueria for tapas and then on to the Catederal de Barcelona. And if you have the time, the Museu Picasso is fabulous. It's about 3-1/2 miles total and all of it flat. Not a bad walk spread over 8 hours or so. We did it with no problems and we are in our late 60ies.

We were in Barcelona for three and a half days pre cruise and found the HOHO to be good except for one time when we wanted to get back and had to ride out the whole loop. The Metro system is great and probably a better choice for you. Buy the 10 trip ticket (7,85 Euros) and you can share it (Pass it back to the next person). But be careful, our credit cards didn't work in the machine as it kept asking for a PIN so I guess only debit cards work. We did have enough Euros so we used cash. Barcelona was great, enjoy!

I would pass on the HOHO. You will waste too much time and not worth the cost. And the buses are not allowed down La Rambla or into the old Gothic Quarter. So you really don't see much from the HOHO and they always seem to be going opposite to where you are heading. Taxies are cheap in Barcelona. With only one full day, I would take a cab to La Segrada at 9:00AM when it opens. After Segrada walk to La Pedrera. It takes only 20 min. Then walk down Pg de Gracia past Casa Batllo, Casa Amatller and Casa Lleo Morera to P. Cataluna and the start of La Rambla. Definately go into the Mercat de la Boqueria for tapas and then on to the Catederal de Barcelona. And if you have the time, the Museu Picasso is fabulous. It's about 3-1/2 miles total and all of it flat. Not a bad walk spread over 8 hours or so. We did it with no problems and we are in our late 60ies.

Thanks for the itinerary. That sounds like a good plan. Those are many of the things we are interested in seing. I will note it down!

Archived