Credit Cards for Montserrat & PIN numbers

H2Otstr

Just a heads up: We tried to use our credit card in the ticket machine to purchase tickets for Montserrat. The machine asked for a PIN number. No one in our group had a PIN for their cards. We had to pay by cash to get the tickets for the trip. The cash amount for the tickets we purchased was high. Not everyone carries extra Euros with them, so make sure you either have extra cash or a PIN.

A similar situation happened to me some years ago in Madrid purchasing a theater ticket. After several tries it occurred to me to use the ATM card which I think was VISA and it worked, funds were deducted from checking account.

A similar situation happened to me some years ago in Madrid purchasing a theater ticket. After several tries it occurred to me to use the ATM card which I think was VISA and it worked, funds were deducted from checking account.

PIN is for the cards with chip. They been around in Europe for at least 10 years. Most of the new cards in Canada are also with chip. These cards are not swiped and no signature is required when correct pin is entered. I think US is little bit behind on this technology. Some locations in Europe that utilize newest terminals will not take old style swipe cards anymore.

My bank just told me recently that you need a 4 digit PIN # for your CC and nothing longer or it will not work. Is this true ?

I don't think it's true; regular card will work when swiped (doesn't need pin) but as I mentioned before some countries are trying to get away from swipe terminals for fraud reduction reasons. Most terminals in Canada now are dual purpose (both chip and swipe). For chip cards pin is mandatory as it is the only mode of authorization; it's provided when card is issued and can be changed in issuing bank's ATM. So if your bank gives a choice between chip and swipe card go for the one with chip; it still can be swiped if necessary.

I believe if you don't have the chip in your cc you need a 4 digit pin #.At least that that what my bank also told me.I have a 4 digit pin # and no chip and had no problems on a Baltic cruise in July and a Rhine riverboat cruise in Oct

Please note that if you are buying the Trans Montserrat or Tot Montserrat combo tickets, you can purchase them from the TI under Placa Catalunya and you CAN use your credit card there.

You can also purchase the very useful ArTicket (7musems for 22 Euros, skip the lines!) in the same transaction at the TI.

The TI there is very, very useful. You can get flyers, book tours, but various tickets and the agents are patient, multi-lingual and helpful.

There are other TI's around, this is the one I happened to use.

A US credit card, with or without a PIN, is going to work in most locations in Europe. The exception is newer self-serve kiosks that require a European Credit card with a Chip & PIN, and it sounds like the kiosk used for the Montserrat tix mentioned in the OP may have been one of these machines. They don't use that chip technology in the US, so just using your 4 digit PIN is not likely to work in these cases. This happened to me trying to buy tix for the Aerobus in the airport. I had cash and was able to pay, and I was near an ATM anyway, but it was a minor frustration.

Please note that I never had to use a PIN at during any credit card transactions in Barcelona that involved a human and a signature :), and we only had one Chip & PIN macine kiosk 'incident'. More frustrating was being charged in US funds instead of Euros a few times when we weren't paying attention. Boo! Bad exchange rate and STILL charged the international 3% fee by our bank. If given the option, stick to being charged in Euros.

I have the chip type CC and the bank still told me not to go have a PIN greater than 4 digits. Could this be specifc to certain cards ? The one I have is the TD Infinite Travel Card.

I believe if you don't have the chip in your cc you need a 4 digit pin #.At least that that what my bank also told me.I have a 4 digit pin # and no chip and had no problems on a Baltic cruise in July and a Rhine riverboat cruise in Oct

I think most European financial institutions have gone to the 4 digit PINs. I've always had a 4 digit PIN to go with my Visa, debt, and AMEX cards. Never had a problem if I went to an ATM that had the appropriate affiliations (CIRRUS, PLUS, etc.)

I believe you can buy the Monserrat packages on line, if you look around. It would save you the stress of wondering if your card will work in Barcelona.

• 2 weeks later...

PIN for your ATM debit card should be 4 digits!

You can use your normal credit card(with no chip/pin) in most places in Europe. It is just some of the ticket machines that do not take it.

I mostly use my credit card for big purchases and keep euros for the smaller ones.

Archived