Silver Whisper Caribbean Cruise

rjms74

Hello,

I am thinking of changing my Caribbean booking on QM2 for Nov - Princess Grill grade - to a Silver Whisper sailing in October.

I am a fun loving 36 year old & well travelled Brit - how will I find Silverseas compared to Princess & Queens Grill (I usually book this level with Cunard) on Cunard?

I love great food, good company & a relaxing holiday with 1st class service & spacious suite accommodation, not forgetting an international mix of passengers - will I enjoy a smaller ship such as the Whisper - the smallest ship I've sailed on to date is the wonderful QE2!

Also do Silversea assign you to hosted tables in "The Restaurant" if you are sailing solo?

Kind Regards & many thanks,

RJMS74

You would experience a few major differences.

The first one is that on Silversea everyone gets the same level of service, eats in the same dining rooms, etc. While the Queens Grill is comparable to other luxury lines that is not the case throughout the ship. So, when you go to other areas of the ship it's not the same as being on a luxury cruise line.

The other factor is the size of the ship. On the Silversea ship you are considering you are talking about a maximum number of 388 passengers. You will have a lot of opportunity to get to know fellow passengers and the crew. On the Queen Mary 2 you may be sailing with up to 2,600 to 3,000 passengers and a crew of over 1,000 people. You may meet a fellow passenger one day and never run into them again.

This is not a knock against Cunard. It's just a different experience.

Even within a cruise line there is a difference in say the feel of a smaller ship and a larger ship such as the differences between the smaller Silversea and Seabourn ships and their larger sister ships in each of their respective fleets.

So, these are things to think of.

If you want a more intimate experieince throughout the ship I suspect you will enjoy the Silver Shadow.

But if you are OK with being on a relatively large ship it might not be a big deal.

Just think that through.

Keith

RJMS74,

As you may recall from previous posts i have sailed Cunard in QG many times, all crossings as I would never do a cruise in such a large ship. I sail Seabourn and Silversea pretty exclusively now and think I can say that given your conditions you will enjoy a cruise on Silversea as great food, great service and friendly people are exactly what you will find. You will also love the all inclusive nature of the trip....no bar bills or gratuities. You just need to get in the mind set of a much smaller ship though you will have much more space per passenger than you do on a Cunard vessel.

I don't believe Silversea assigns singles to hosted tables as Seabourn does but I am sure a word with the maitre d' will ensure that you are seated with others whenever you want. Plus you will find it much easier to meet others than on a large ship so by the third night you will have met many people with whom you can make your own dinner plans.

Go for it. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

For hosted tables,Seabourn can't be beat if you are travelling solo.I used to sail QE2 Queens grill but do not sail with Cunard any more as the style and service is not nearly the same on the newer larger liners.You will find Silversea to be a very good experience,try them,then try Seabourn,you may not go back to Cunard,but perhaps just for the crossings.

Archived