Damn you my cruise critics family!

jeshghn

To make a long story, short....

I have just finishing a 5 month period of unemployment and recently got a job in a school which means I work for two months then laid off for the summer till September. Very grateful mind you but still makes money tight.

Any ways one of the conditions of the job is that I can only take vacation on school holidays, which is peak prices. So I have been a bit down thinking how expensive it will be compared to when I cruise November or January.

Then someone mentioned here about the new Spirit 9 day Mexican cruise! Wouldn't you know it but it runs the week of my School break, it leaves the friday before (so only one extra day off).

So tempted!

Wonder if it's too early to a sucker a friend in with early saver! :o

I do have some float days that I can use for the friday!

Since I will be flying from the east coast (Toronto), the debate is for flying out to San Diego, do I do the red eye on Thursday, negoite another day or risk flying out the day of at a flight that lands at 10:30am (but a very short transfer in Chicago). I love San Diego and also like to have some time to buy water/wine for the cruise!

Since I will be flying from the east coast (Toronto), the debate is for flying out to San Diego, do I do the red eye on Thursday, negoite another day or risk flying out the day of at a flight that lands at 10:30am (but a very short transfer in Chicago). I love San Diego and also like to have some time to buy water/wine for the cruise!

There is no red-eye flying east to west. You could prob leave early evening and arrive San Diego at about 10PM or 11PM local time

I hope you can go. But before you book please check with your school's HR person. In our district, we are not allowed to be gone the day before or after a school break. So for us, there is no adding on to a fall, spring, or Christmas break. :(

Take the day off. school districts are so screwed up they won't even miss you!!!!! I know from experience.

Great advise......... Just keep stealing our tax dollars........ Even without your screen name, I knew you must have been from California

There is no red-eye flying east to west. You could prob leave early evening and arrive San Diego at about 10PM or 11PM local time

this is a good way to travel... i live outside philly, and can take a 5pm flight into vegas (business) and get there at a respectable hour, including a dreaded ATL lay over... usually never later than 11pm.

you can take a red-eye back though.

I hope you can go. But before you book please check with your school's HR person. In our district, we are not allowed to be gone the day before or after a school break. So for us, there is no adding on to a fall, spring, or Christmas break. :(

That is horrible! I am an "outside resource" which means I am not a school board employee but work like a dog for them but don't get the salary or benefits. I am the school counsellor to two high schools.

The last person that had my position got some flack for taking too many Mondays and/or Fridays off, so if I do this I have to make sure this is the only time I "extend my weekend" or really kiss up. My boss is very good and nice, so I know she'll give me the friday and at least half of Thursday.

Take another day off...Chicago is always a hit and miss....lots of delays in chicago...Have lots of fun!

I say use a couple of float days and fly in the day before. You do not want to have to deal with cancelled/delayed flights from Toronto to San Diego. This way, you can be rested, relaxed, and take care of your pre-cruise things like sodas and wine (and alcohol if you are the smuggling type).

Best of luck and let us know if you decide to book the cruise!

Same with my school district. If you take a day directly before or after, you lose the pay for that day...;(

Thanks for the support and advice all! As always you are all great! I do think you are right about flying in on the thursday to prevent delays and get the pre-cruise shopping done of water, wine....alcohol maybe or not! :rolleyes: Must admit I am kind of a light weight so I don't bring much on, but it's so cheap to buy alcohol in the USA that I hate to miss out on a deal! Can always take it home to Canada with me if I don't use it.

When I book I'll be sure to let you know and jump on roll call!

Take the day off. school districts are so screwed up they won't even miss you!!!!! I know from experience.

Take a day to extend a vacation or holiday weekend in my district, and you not only lose your pay, you pay for the substitute too (and I guarantee, it would be noticed)! If you are new teacher and would like a permanent position, don't even try it!

Take a day to extend a vacation or holiday weekend in my district, and you not only lose your pay, you pay for the substitute too (and I guarantee, it would be noticed)! If you are new teacher and would like a permanent position, don't even try it!

Thank you! Don't worry the worst thing I have been accused of by a boss is being too honest! :o I will of course ask my boss, since I am a counsellor I won't need to bring in a sub.

Years ago my first week with a new boss, I was invited to give a talk at a local university on "What draws youth to the streets" and everyone told me to call in sick. They said you have 50 sick days, why waste a vacation day! I took the vacation day anyways. After my talk my new boss's brother came up to me to say hi and that he already to called his sister to tell her what a great speech I gave.

Some things are not worth lying about, it's a small world and kharma is a powerful force! ;)

Archived