AMA Budapest to Amsterdam 2Sep 2011

travelling pair

We just booked this trip and I am already getting so much help from reading past posts regarding our River cruise.. We did a Baltic trip with Oceania 2 years ago and now want to experience travelling on a river boat.. Would like to hear any suggestions or thoughts or of any other passengers on this trip.

Two must do optional side trips that are normally offered :

1. At night in Vienna - Mozart/Strauss Concert at the Hoffburg Palace.

2. Ex Vienna you go by bus for the day after breakfast into the Czech Republic to the scenically wonderful village of Cesny Krumlov , and late afternoon you rejoin your river boat at Passau . (The boat sails during the day from Vienna to Passau (with the passengers who do not do the Czech Republic tour.)

Usually included tour highlights - Vienna - Schonnbrun Palace, Cologne - The Cathedral, Melk - well worth the climb to the active Abbey. Also worth the afternoon option of riding the ships bicycles from Durnstein to Melk . And near the end of your cruise the endless castles clinging to the hillsides on the Rhine approaching Amsterdam .

Hi Travelling Pair, We have just returned from travelling with AMA on the Amadante from Budapest to Amsterdam. We did pre cruise to Prague and post cruise to Paris. What a wonderful trip. I absolutely loved Prague and Paris AMA did a wonderful river cruise, I can only say good things about our holiday. Our CD Marion was fantastic, as was the cabin and wait staff. The whole crew were very professional and went out of their way to make our trip memorable.

We arrived in Budapest at the time of the big floods on the Danube. Our boat was trapped in Bratislava but AMA put up all the passengers in The Marriott Hotel in Budapest for the night. There we enjoyed a sumptuous dinner and folk dance night. The following day we had a sightseeing excursion and then we drove to Bratislava to meet the boat. AMA handled the situation very well and kept us informed at all times.

Meals were fantastic, you will not ever be hungry or not find anything to your taste. Breakfasts were what you would find at any 5 star hotel anywhere in the world. You could eat light lunch in the lounge or go to the dining room for full service. We decided to eat lunch in the lounge most days to resist eating too much, The soups were yummy, the bread delicious and those desserts, mmmm. Dinner was, well, as much as you wanted to eat really. There were 4 courses plus you could help yourself to a large assortment of cheeses and crackers afterwards.

The excursions were done very well, with some very good local guides (and some not so good) who were very entertaining. After a few days you got the gist of who (potentially) makes a good guide and who just likes to ramble on and on and on. Aah, memories. LOL.

We enjoyed the whole trip and would recommend AMA to anyone. This was our first river cruise also and have travelled with HAL on other occasions.

That's enough from me. If there is anything at all you wish to ask, just do so as I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Thanks so much for these replies . I was wondering about the quality of the concert in Vienna and it sounds like this would be one that we would enjoy. Thanks also I did not know that we had an option to go to Cesny Krumlov, from what I've read this is a lovely town.

This Canadian "cousin" thanks my Aussie fellow travellers!! The whole AMA experience sounds right up our alley and this year is going to go by slowly but I will lots of time to research all the ports...thanks again

We are booked on AMA in April next year (Paris, Amsterdam to Budapest and Prague) and your review is just what we wanted to read. Would you mind clarifying the laundry arrangements on board - can you do your own, send it out? (how much?) (it is our first river cruise). Regards from Brisbane

IIRC the cost was something like $ 80 pp for the 2 hour evening concert in the ballroom at the Hoffburg Palace . The quality was very good with around 50 piece Symphony Orchestra backed up with four Singers who performed popular well known Opera pieces .

All the popular Mozart & Strauss pieces including of the course Blue Danube, and Raedesky March . Sort of semi formal concert with a bit of fun and audience participation. Rather like the world famous New Years Day Concert from Vienna but not as long . Not to be missed.

Hi Helen and Frank from Brissie,

There are no facilities to do your own laundry on board. I just washed the unmentionables in the bathroom and hung them in the shower to dry. There is the usual line attached to the sides of the shower you can pull out. I sent the rest of the laundry to be done by the cabin staff and they did a fantastic job. I figure I'm on holidays and the last thing I need to worry about is the washing. You just leave it in the supplied bag, on your bed in the morning, and in the afternoon your washing appears all pressed and hanging up. I have to admit though that the laundry bill was the largest amount on my on-board account.

We started our holiday in Prague and I am so glad we did. We were so full of energy and eager to explore. We walked day and night and it was so beautiful. Words cannot describe how beautiful it is. We stayed at the Art Deco Imperial Hotel. This place is amazing and is in a great place, not far from the square. We walked Charles Bridge twice, once is not enough. You must go at night and see the lights. They are still doing renovations but it doesn't spoil your view or your experience. We did Old Town square, New town, Jewish Quarter, Wensceslas Square, Petrin Hill, Battery Tower and much, much more. The included AMA half day tour of Prague was also fantastic with 2 great guides.

There is so much to say about the Amadante, Danube, Rhine, and Main and not enough space. You will enjoy the whole experience I'm sure.

Things I didn't like!!! Just minor to me. Maybe not for others.

* I thought the beds were too hard. They do let you know on the first night that if you think the beds are too hard you can have a mattress topper added. Only made a little difference though.

* Not enough emphasis on hand washing I thought. Saw plenty of people entering lounge and dining room not sanitising hands. In the lounge there is always a plate of cakes and biscuits on display for people who wish to eat with their tea and coffee. People picked up cakes with hands and not the tongs supplied. A message every day to remind people MAY have

triggered a response.

* There is only one dinner seating and that is 7.00 pm. People were waiting at the dining room door before 7.00 to get to their favourite seats. If you got to the dining room at 7.10 and wanted to sit with friends you had met or travelled with - bad luck. Unless of course someone got there at 7.00 and reserved the seats for you. I saw that happen a lot. I don't have the answer to that one, it would be a logistical nightmare trying to solve the problem. Or maybe they don't see it as a problem, because eventually everyone gets seated. But after a few days you see the same people in the same seats.

As I said the meals were fantastic, and if you didn't like what was on the menu for that night there was always the standing order, which was mostly chicken breast, fish or steak and ceasar salad. They even had chips. Free wine, beer and soft drink was always on offer at dinner time. The wines were pretty good and always from the region you were visiting.

When we arrived in Linz we had the option of visiting Salzburg or going to Cesky Krumlov. We chose Cesky and it was so beautiful. A good choice. It was a sunny day and people were rafting and having fun on the Vltava River. We met the boat later in Passau.

We arrived in Paris on a lovely sunny day and this place knocked me out. I hadn't been to Paris before. We stayed at the Hotel de Louvre. You can guess where that was can't you. Location, location, location. I love Paris now, I hope to go back one day. Just to walk around Paris and take in the sights was wonderful. We had a great introduction to Paris with an included half-day sightseeing tour with a fabulous guide.

Here I go again. If I have left anything out (LOL) you wish to hear about just ask away.

RachelG.

There were tables for 2,4 and 6. I did see some nights a couple of groups of 8 sitting but I think they had 2 fours pushed together. Maybe there was 1 permanent 8 but I'm not sure on that one. The dining room is set out with loose tables at one end of dining room and booth type settings at other end. The tables for 2 were set in the booth area with a 4 pretty close to it, so it's not quite the place for an intimate dinner for two.

Your advice is most apprecaited. I loved Paris when we were there in 2008 and decided to start there this time rather than in Prague but we look forward to all of the wonderful places along the way and to the experiences you have described. If I think of anything else I will let you know. Regards, Frank

Thanks for the info. Another question: on cabins, are there any areas to especially avoid that you know of. I understand that the balconies aren't really balconies. Do you think it would be worthwhile to book one of the larger suites or is a regular cabin ok?

We just returned from a week on the Amacello. We had booked one of the larger suites and I'm really glad we did. It was a very comfortable size with lots of storage space. If we were to do another river cruise, I would again opt for the suite. The balconies are not real balconies, even in the suites, although you can open the sliding glass doors and get some fresh air. They recommend not doing this because of bugs. We never had a problem with bugs, although we only opened the doors when we were moving.

Marti

Hi there -

On the Amalyra there were 2 tables for 8 - but they were snapped up pretty quickly. On the last night, they "made" a table for us (we squeezed in an extra chair at the end, and an extra (skinny person) on the bench. A bit crowded, but we didn't mind.

RachelG,

We had a standard cabin on Violin Deck which is top deck. It was 172 sq.ft. like most except suites. There was plenty of room to move. We had the 'french balcony' which is really a sliding door that can be pushed back and there is a small coffee table and two tub chairs at the door. Very nice if you want to sit inside for a spell on your own. There is plenty of room to walk around the bed and loads of cupboard space. There is room under the bed for suitcases and there is also a desk with side drawers which were also handy for putting cameras and electrical cords in. The wardrobe was plenty big enough and there was also a shelf in the wardrobe. The bathroom was big compared to HAL ships and the shower was fantastic. The bathroom products supplied were also of a high standard.

As for whether I would book a suite, "no". You really don't spend much time in there. There are so many activities planned from the time you get up until it's time for bed. The lounge is a great place to relax also. There is a great coffee making machine and biscuits to be had until about 10.30 at night when the late supper is served. There is a piano player who also plays until late and it's just nice to maybe sit for a while, relax and listen to some great music before retiring for the night.

We did hear noise above on the second morning which I thought sounded like someone walking around the deck. The rules are "no walking on the deck before 8.00 a.m." and we never heard it the next morning. Guess someone was caught out.

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked room 332 on the Violin deck for our river cruise. It is right at the Aft lounge. Do you think this is a wise choice as far as noise or should we just be happy to have such a short walk to view the passing scenery? I also appreciate the fact that there seems to be a shower door not the dreaded curtain ..!!

• 4 weeks later...
We just booked this trip and I am already getting so much help from reading past posts regarding our River cruise.. We did a Baltic trip with Oceania 2 years ago and now want to experience travelling on a river boat.. Would like to hear any suggestions or thoughts or of any other passengers on this trip.

My wife and I took the AMA Amandante from BudaPest to Amsterdam 16 nights, with a pre trip excursion in BudaPest in Late Sept. 2008. Perhaps the best trip we have taken. Service, food, housekeeeping, fellow passengers,excursions & guides all exceptional.

This is a very port intensive itenerary, you will have to layer for the weather and have your best walking shoes or hiking boots. Take a light rain jacket or waterproof windbreaker. Most of the travelers are very seasoned and love to share their experiences. Dress aboard is very casual and some did not change for dinner. That is ok, as many times were arrived very late afternoon from the excursion,with little time to prepare for dinner.

The tours are all good and you should consider the optional tours ( we are glad we did ) The great thing is the electronic ear piece so you don't have huddle around your guide to hear the information. A huge advantage while taking pictures during the tour. Also you can peel off the tour anytime and explore on your own. Just remember the location of the boat and time of departure. ( very easy in most of the ports )

As this boat was brand new at the time of our sailing, she provided everything we could think of needed in the cabin. Be sure to bring the European converter for charging your cameras and electronic devices. We were on the top deck with the french balcolny. Biggest plus, when docking you were at the level of the peir or higher, not so with the other rooms. Personally I see no disadvantage to the lowest cabins. With so much to do and the lounge obsevation & sun deck,you can see anything you want. After all we only used our room for sleeping and the shower.

Finally I did take a jacket & tie, did not need it , but wore it once at captain's dinner. I was in the minority. You will greatly enjoy this trip, be in good walking shape, as there is lots of interesting things to see & do to see. Would leave this afternoon, to go again. Currently we are booked on Russian River Trip with GCT in September. Just recieved our visas. We actually prefer the river cruise over the ocean. However saying that, we choose our trips by intenerary and book accordingly.

Best Wishes, Onespots

My wife and I took the AMA Amandante from BudaPest to Amsterdam 16 nights, with a pre trip excursion in BudaPest in Late Sept. 2008. Perhaps the best trip we have taken. Service, food, housekeeeping, fellow passengers,excursions & guides all exceptional.

This is a very port intensive itenerary, you will have to layer for the weather and have your best walking shoes or hiking boots. Take a light rain jacket or waterproof windbreaker. Most of the travelers are very seasoned and love to share their experiences. Dress aboard is very casual and some did not change for dinner. That is ok, as many times were arrived very late afternoon from the excursion,with little time to prepare for dinner.

The tours are all good and you should consider the optional tours ( we are glad we did ) The great thing is the electronic ear piece so you don't have huddle around your guide to hear the information. A huge advantage while taking pictures during the tour. Also you can peel off the tour anytime and explore on your own. Just remember the location of the boat and time of departure. ( very easy in most of the ports )

As this boat was brand new at the time of our sailing, she provided everything we could think of needed in the cabin. Be sure to bring the European converter for charging your cameras and electronic devices. We were on the top deck with the french balcolny. Biggest plus, when docking you were at the level of the peir or higher, not so with the other rooms. Personally I see no disadvantage to the lowest cabins. With so much to do and the lounge obsevation & sun deck,you can see anything you want. After all we only used our room for sleeping and the shower.

Finally I did take a jacket & tie, did not need it , but wore it once at captain's dinner. I was in the minority. You will greatly enjoy this trip, be in good walking shape, as there is lots of interesting things to see & do to see. Would leave this afternoon, to go again. Currently we are booked on Russian River Trip with GCT in September. Just recieved our visas. We actually prefer the river cruise over the ocean. However saying that, we choose our trips by intenerary and book accordingly.

Best Wishes, Onespots

You might enjoy reading my review of the AMA Amadante in the Member Reviews.

We were in B209 and loved having the French Balcony, not noisy, plenty of storage space and general cabin space. We're completely sold on AMA! We leave tomorrow night for the AMA Enchanting Rhine from Zurich to Amsterdam...:D

Thanks so much to all who replied. It seems we made the right choice of company and route. My husband thanks you too, it seems he can leave the tie and jacket at home! Now we have a year to get our walking legs in good shape as we plan to see as much as possible good weather or not!

Archived