I like RCI but what about a MSC cruise

Hi

I have spent days researching MSC cruises and am thinking of going on one later this year. However my first cruise was with Costa (you always love your first) and since marrying on RCI I've always sailed with them.

I appreciate there will always be good and bad in both but would love the opinions of CC members in particular ones that have cruised RCI (or Costa). Maybe tell me what you did and didn't like....as whats good for one isn't important to others the same with the bad...but maybe it will help me decide.

Appreciate any help and thanks to anyone for taking the time to reply.

Hi

I have spent days researching MSC cruises and am thinking of going on one later this year. However my first cruise was with Costa (you always love your first) and since marrying on RCI I've always sailed with them.

I appreciate there will always be good and bad in both but would love the opinions of CC members in particular ones that have cruised RCI (or Costa). Maybe tell me what you did and didn't like....as whats good for one isn't important to others the same with the bad...but maybe it will help me decide.

Hmmm?

Cant tell you much, but interested in feedback on this too..

Havent sailed any of the major "European" lines, but know of both that you mention.

Because of our wanna do lists, and the Itineraries of MSC being one of the few into going Black Sea, I need info as an English speaking Aussie..

Do we? OR dont we?

Loved every cruise we have ever been on, but have done it for new experiences, rather than holiday/vacation time..

. S and P

Hmmm?

Cant tell you much, but interested in feedback on this too..

Havent sailed any of the major "European" lines, but know of both that you mention.

Because of our wanna do lists, and the Itineraries of MSC being one of the few into going Black Sea, I need info as an English speaking Aussie..

Do we? OR dont we?

Loved every cruise we have ever been on, but have done it for new experiences, rather than holiday/vacation time..

. S and P

Lets hope we get some help eh. I love the excitement of new things but at the same time love to stick with what I know...I am actually so indecisive its unbelievable...in everything in my life! :-)

Im sure the good CC members will post some opinions to help us both. :)

I too have shown interest recently in MSC.

The only feedback I have discovered so far is that the passenger mix is predominantly Italian (nothing wrong with that), that English isn't spoken by all and that the food doesn't compare.

The ships look very nice though in my opinion.

Hi

Have you looked at the Cruise Critic Reviews?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=cl&cl=MSC%20Cruises

I cruised on Costa Fortuna in March and liked it very much, especially since I didn't pay single supplement. In fact I liked them better than Carnival.If price is the same I will choose them over Carnival. Found their food (especially the buffet) better also.

When it comes to Royal Caribbean I think they have the best ships around. Some people keep saying that the food is bad, but I don't find that to be the case. Ok it's not gourmet food, but which of the mass market cruise line has?

I had done a little research on both MSC and Costa as their European itineraries had a lot more variety than the "biggies" fromt he US. But after reading the inconsistent CC reviews, I stuck with Princess and RCI for our scandinavia cruise this year, and our eastern Mediterranean one next year. It just seemed like the reviews were all over the map, and I hate to use that is the deciding factor, but our TA also provided us with some "opinions" that have steered us away from those 2 lines.

I was looking into MSC this past winter and talked to my TA about them and she strongly avised not booking them. I didn't really get into with her why since I trust her judgement as she's been my parents TA for 25 years and mine since I started to book my own trips in the mid-90's.

My travel agent went on a MSC cruise a few months ago. It was a promotional thing, maybe an inaugural. She said the customer service and language barrier was a pretty serious problem. She liked the ship and if you like Italian, the food was good. She said all the pasta dishes got a little tiring for her.

Did a 21 day TA Combo - Med/Atlantic/Carrib on the Orchestra

12/08&1/09 Genova to Lauderdale.

We loved the experience, lots of europeans, beautiful ship believe ship was approx 1 year old at time.

Served different foods from countrys cruise destination ports including normal stuff.

Christmas and New Years at sea. We needed the long cruise for our home had extenstive damage from Hurricane Ike and at that time,

progress was not being made, because of waiting for settlements from insurance.

Genova, Marseille, Barcellona, Casablanca, Maderia. Guadalupe, St Thomas, San Juan (New Years festival) , Lauderdale

We would definently sail her again.

Language barrier was not a serious problem for us. It was an experience.

We took that cruise for that reason.

Remember

"Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!"

We loved the cruise, ship, different cultures, ports, differents foods, and different people from all over the world.

What questions do you have?

I have to admit that I LIKE all the cheesy aspects of the more mainstream lines, particularly Royal Caribbean. I WANT to watch the sexy-legs contest and play the Quest game. I want to cheer at the crew versus passenger dodge ball or volley ball game. I want to shake my booty at the nightclub. I love the late night comedians, Beatlemania, the 70s Disco Party, the ice carving demonstration, etc.

I'm just not cut out for one of the smaller, more high-luxury lines.

I have to admit that I LIKE all the cheesy aspects of the more mainstream lines, particularly Royal Caribbean. I WANT to watch the sexy-legs contest and play the Quest game. I want to cheer at the crew versus passenger dodge ball or volley ball game. I want to shake my booty at the nightclub. I love the late night comedians, Beatlemania, the 70s Disco Party, the ice carving demonstration, etc.

MMMMmmm good reminder - thank you:)

:)

Did a 21 day TA Combo - Med/Atlantic/Carrib on the Orchestra

12/08&1/09 Genova to Lauderdale.

We loved the experience, lots of europeans, beautiful ship believe ship was approx 1 year old at time.

Served different foods from countrys cruise destination ports including normal stuff.

Christmas and New Years at sea. We needed the long cruise for our home had extenstive damage from Hurricane Ike and at that time,

progress was not being made, because of waiting for settlements from insurance.

Genova, Marseille, Barcellona, Casablanca, Maderia. Guadalupe, St Thomas, San Juan (New Years festival) , Lauderdale

We would definently sail her again.

Language barrier was not a serious problem for us. It was an experience.

We took that cruise for that reason.

Remember

"Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!"

We loved the cruise, ship, different cultures, ports, differents foods, and different people from all over the world.

What questions do you have?

No particular questions really just wanted a feel for peoples views who have travelled RCI hence posting on here and not on the MSC link. You are the first person to rate it so thank you for that and the detailed response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The MSC Orchestra is comparable in size or maybe bigger to Voyager Class?

It is comparable to the nicer Navigator and Mariner.

MSC Orchestra was definitely a newer ship though and beautiful.

Dress was more formal at dinner because of the europeans.

It did have some of the same relative cheesy aspects

of the more mainstream lines, particularly as Royal Caribbean.

Of course the nature and extent of participation

in these activities are always by choice whether out of Glaveston or Genova..

One real difference is the acts and entertainment were

more from the european countrys, than the traditional american acts.

I can say it was nice to see something a little different.

We are definitly RCCL fans as you can see by our travel history.

I love that attitude. You sound like a cool person to travel with. :)

Thanks for nice comments.:)

I will take any complement I can get!!!!:D

Join us on our next cruise.

I have been on all 3

Costa is a very FUN ship THe atmosphere is great .Food is VERy european which I really enjoyed I would go back in a heartbeat

RCI is a great company .I LOVE the big ships

MSc .....well ....what can I say ....Cabins are MINUTE ..Food not that good ..Service leaves a lot to be desired ...unless REAL cheap I would skip

Michele

Interesting reading. About 10 years ago, we tried MSC, on the Melody. We did a B2B in the Caribbean for two years in a row.

The one thing that we got used to, were announcements being made in 6 or 8 different languages, so they took awhile.

It was also the first Captains table that we were invited to attend. The captain was not too fluent in English, but we all got along, and we were invited to a sailaway on the bridge, and a tour of the engine room. The tour of the engine room was an experience that I won't forget, and has never been repeated, on any line.

The food was very good, but I'm going back a few years here, and that might have changed on MSC as it has with other lines.

I do remember that the top deck was designated as a topless deck, and the captain spent a fair amount of time walking it. With so many Europeans aboard, the deck was well used!:D

Now that Rick Sasso is the president of MSC USA, it might be fun to try another cruise on MSC.

Rick

I have never sailed on that line, but we met a couple in St. Maarten that wanted to fly back home to New York. They said it was very smokey, they had a 6 your old son, and they had to place towels to cover the cracks on the bottom of the doors because of the heavy haze of smoke. They got a really good deal, but said they would never sail on her again. They said they were going to only cruise with RCI for now on....

My parents have sailed on both Orchestra and Poesia and loved both ships. They are big MSC fans and felt the service, accommodations and price were very good (comparable to what you would pay on most mainstream cruise lines). In particular they loved the European flavour of the ship, from multi language announcements to the Italian decor

Both times these were Caribbean cruises, from what I understand the service is better on MSC Caribbean itineraries (compared to MSC European itineraries) as they need to compete with the North America lines.

To be fair my parents haven't been on any other line, so it's hard to say how MSC compares with other cruise lines.

My parents have sailed on both Orchestra and Poesia and loved both ships. They are big MSC fans and felt the service, accommodations and price were very good (comparable to what you would pay on most mainstream cruise lines). In particular they loved the European flavour of the ship, from multi language announcements to the Italian decor

Both times these were Caribbean cruises, from what I understand the service is better on MSC Caribbean itineraries (compared to MSC European itineraries) as they need to compete with the North America lines.

To be fair my parents haven't been on any other line, so it's hard to say how MSC compares with other cruise lines.

OOohhh thats very interesting. Thank you :)

Archived