I like RCI but what about a MSC cruise

We have cruised on both the Orchestra and the Poesia in the Caribbean. We have 3 children, and to be honest, the kids sailing for free is why we went. We have only ever cruised with MSC, and honestly, after our last cruise with them, I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone sail with them-which is why we are trying RCI. The food was terrible and the service was just as bad (on the Poesia). To be fair, the ships are absolutely gorgeous, and they are kept immaculate. They do tend to cater to Europeans, but they are a European based cruise line, so we fully expected that. We LOVED our first cruise on the Orchestra, but we were extremely disappointed in our cruise on the Poesia last April. If you do decide to cruise with them, just keep an open mind and have fun.

We have cruised on both the Orchestra and the Poesia in the Caribbean. We have 3 children, and to be honest, the kids sailing for free is why we went. We have only ever cruised with MSC, and honestly, after our last cruise with them, I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone sail with them-which is why we are trying RCI. The food was terrible and the service was just as bad (on the Poesia). To be fair, the ships are absolutely gorgeous, and they are kept immaculate. They do tend to cater to Europeans, but they are a European based cruise line, so we fully expected that. We LOVED our first cruise on the Orchestra, but we were extremely disappointed in our cruise on the Poesia last April. If you do decide to cruise with them, just keep an open mind and have fun.

Hiya

thank you for the reply. Interesting that you loved one and disliked the other. I know these things can be hit and miss and peoples opinions vary so much. I am interested in what you disliked about your 2nd trip and that would make me think twice. I know everyone has different opinions on food, but the hygeine is extremely important to me as opposed to what is served (due to catching e-coli/dysentry on a previous non cruising holiday).

Im sure you will hear good and bad for RCI all I can say is I have loved every single one of them. I also witnessed a 'bug' on one of them, which is common on cruises, but the way they handled it was a real credit to them.

Again thank you for your post and hope you enjoy RCI - happy cruising. :)

Hiya

thank you for the reply. Interesting that you loved one and disliked the other. I know these things can be hit and miss and peoples opinions vary so much. I am interested in what you disliked about your 2nd trip and that would make me think twice. I know everyone has different opinions on food, but the hygeine is extremely important to me as opposed to what is served (due to catching e-coli/dysentry on a previous non cruising holiday).

Im sure you will hear good and bad for RCI all I can say is I have loved every single one of them. I also witnessed a 'bug' on one of them, which is common on cruises, but the way they handled it was a real credit to them.

Again thank you for your post and hope you enjoy RCI - happy cruising. :)

Our decision not to cruise them again is mostly because of the service, quality of food and being treated as if we were "bothering" the crew by being on board the ship. I know that the subject of food is based on one's own preferences, but in my opinion, it was some of the worst food I have ever eaten. I am not a picky person, and I understand that they are cooking for thousands of people. What I didn't understand is how two cruises from the same company could be so totally opposite. The food and service on the Orchestra were amazing, which is why we booked again on the Poesia.

As far as cleanliness goes, I would dare to say you won't find a cleaner fleet of ships out there. They were out cleaning hand rails at all hours of the day and night-the ships are immaculate. You won't have to worry about any "bugs" or viruses with MSC. They even do some kind of infared scan of every passenger's body temp. before you embark on the ship just to make sure no one has a fever. You have to fill out a questionnaire asking if you have any cold or flu symptoms and if you do you have to see the ship's doctor before you can board. If you have a fever, you also have to see the ship's doctor.

To sum it all up, the reasons we choose not to sail MSC may not be the same reasons you would base your decision on. We were not thrilled with the lack of supervision in the children's areas-which is a major factor in why we won't sail with them again. Just because we didn't like the food or the service on our last cruise doesn't mean you won't. Just be prepared to have to beg for iced tea and water. They only provide these during meal times, and you only get a juice size plastic cup of them. We purchased many drinks and sodas (willingly) at dinner, but kind of got a little annoyed with having to be made to feel "cheap" at lunch because we wanted to take advantage of the iced tea or water. But, again, these things may not bother you. If you do cruise with them, I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. We made our own fun and had some amazing family bonding time. It's all in what you make out of it. We just choose not to sail with them again.

Happy cruising to you as well.:)

• 3 months later...

My travel agent cruised on MSC last year in the Caribbean. She had some serious problems with communications, as the staff was not up to speed on their English. I hope this has been corrected.

She said the service wasn't as good as she was accustomed to on Carnival and RCCL, but the food was very good. You have to like Italian food, though!

My travel agent cruised on MSC last year in the Caribbean. She had some serious problems with communications, as the staff was not up to speed on their English. I hope this has been corrected.

Maybe it is time for americans to start speaking other languages?:p

Good Grief...Even after 16 years of taking English classes, I still manage to butcher the English language:D...Now you want me to learn another langauge:eek:

Most cruise ships sailing in the Caribbean are predominately American and Canadian passengers. You have to be able to communicate with your customers if you want to sell them your product.

If I was sailing on an Italian line in Italy, then I would expect it to be the other way around. However, I have traveled a lot in Europe and find that English tends to be a common language in tourism.

And, yes, I did brush up on my French when I went to France.

DH and I sailed the Orchestra on her inaugural sail TA to the U.S. in December 2008. It was an 18 day cruise with long hours in various ports. We loved the Orchestra and would definitely sail her again. We loved the international crew and passengers. However, many americans were downright nasty at dispaying there displeasure over not having "american" food and their kids were going to starve!

We found the food excellent and loved the "cuisine of the day" of the countries we visited. We found service to be excellent even though the crew was struggling with some who could and would not be satisfied.

DD and SIL traveled with us on their first TA and international trip. They too found everything to be quite satisfactory and enjoyed the beautiful ship.

We found the announcements in several languages to be interesting and added to the "foreign" flavor. Midnight Mass was in 4 languages and very beautiful. We also loved the entertainment, mostly acrobatic and musical, but very refreshing from the standard on other cruises.

We have no doubts about sailing her again and would love to do another long TA.

Cruised once on Costa Magica, 17 night TA.

Found the food to be wonderful.

Spa was wonderful, some of the best massages ever.

The ship was a little on the "gaudy" side, especially in the main dining room.

The staff was friendly and efficient.

The only problem was in their suite categories, their largest (Grand Suite) was the smallest we have ever been in. Unlike others here on CC, we spend a lot of time in our staterooms, and appreciate a larger room.

From what I've gathered, on MSC, suites are even smaller.. So probably won't try them.

Butler service in Suites, and for the first time ever, when I offered a tip for a service, he tried to refuse it, saying, "you've given me too much already.." I insisted.

Can't remember exact amount, but the recommeded tip amounts were surprisingly low.

Wines were very reasonably priced and good variety.

Entertainment was limited, needed to appeal to muliple nationalities so things like comedians, etc. were out.

Cruise air and transportation in Europe was efficient and timely. In Florida, that was a different storey-actually got out of the bus after waiting over 2 hours, and caught a cab.

Hope this doesn't ramble, but was typing as I was thinking.....

TnT

My parents cruised on MSC (can't remember the ship, but it went out of FLL) last year and had a really good time. They are trying to get DH and me to do one because DD would be free. However, based on everything I have read, I have no real desire to go on MSC. My parents are not into shows or activities or the things that I enjoy when I go on a cruise. They were happy that it was a beautiful, clean ship, they liked the food, and they LOVED the great deal they got. My mom said that she thinks the bad reviews are due in part to the fact that they aren't serving food 24-7 like some of the mainstream lines and that people don't like that! I could tell that the ship was very nice and new, but I just don't think it is a line I'm interested in trying out.

DH and I sailed the Orchestra on her inaugural sail TA to the U.S. in December 2008. It was an 18 day cruise with long hours in various ports. We loved the Orchestra and would definitely sail her again. We loved the international crew and passengers. However, many americans were downright nasty at dispaying there displeasure over not having "american" food and their kids were going to starve!

We found the food excellent and loved the "cuisine of the day" of the countries we visited. We found service to be excellent even though the crew was struggling with some who could and would not be satisfied.

DD and SIL traveled with us on their first TA and international trip. They too found everything to be quite satisfactory and enjoyed the beautiful ship.

We found the announcements in several languages to be interesting and added to the "foreign" flavor. Midnight Mass was in 4 languages and very beautiful. We also loved the entertainment, mostly acrobatic and musical, but very refreshing from the standard on other cruises.

We have no doubts about sailing her again and would love to do another long TA.

I agree with you about the "international flavor" of sailing with a different cultural feel. On the Independence last December the ice show was produced by a Russian skating troupe, and the music, costumes, and set designs had a totally different look and feel to them. It was a wonderful show.

Archived