Unions blockade the port in Athens

Beanjar

Rest assured. As the article you referenced says, this is a 24 hour strike. So you should be good to go on Saturday. What's more, I understand that this strike has affected only ferries and domestic airline flights. International flights operated normally today.

We were lucky to have already been there aboard Oceania Nautica in October, 2008, just before all the troubles started! It is so sad that so many things happened to such a nice place in the last year and a half. Back in 1997, we did not go to the Holy Land because we already had other trips that year, since then there had been endless trouble in that part of the world, and it looks likely that we will not be brave enough to go in the future!

The good news is that it is happening now and not when you begin your cruise.

Greece has some major issues and I was watching CNBC this morning and they said they actually have more financial issues today than even before some action was taken by the EU.

Keith

We were lucky to have already been there aboard Oceania Nautica in October, 2008, just before all the troubles started! It is so sad that so many things happened to such a nice place in the last year and a half. Back in 1997, we did not go to the Holy Land because we already had other trips that year, since then there had been endless trouble in that part of the world, and it looks likely that we will not be brave enough to go in the future!

I just got back from a 5 day business trip to Greece. Don't let the sensational journalists discourage you from going there. During my five days I saw no evidence of riots or any other problems. Life is continuing as normal.

Allbeit with a little worry about the financial future but many of us in North America probably should have the same worries too.

You didn't leave the country when there were riots in Los Angeles or Detroit did you ? It's the same thing in Greece, the chances of it affecting you are remote.

Strikes - well those are a different story. Annoying, disruptive and sometimes they cost you money but you will come to no harm.

Archived