Money Belts or not

michaeleds

I had posted this on our roll-call, but worth repeating, my BIL had his passport stolen in Rome about 2 wks ago, it was a nightmare! the stress of replacing it, the time wasted, and worse they were refused boarding on their Greek Isles cruise because they said a temporary ( 2 year) passport is invalid to them!

only after hours of pleading their case, (all the way to the top officers), were they allowed to board.

moral of the story, ALWAYS protect your passport, no way I am taking mine of the ship or out of the hotel safe.

Jo.

All very interesting... again we got back from our trip about three weeks now and we used Pacsafe http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php One reason I went with Pacsafe is they had so many things to choose from that were safe and comfortable... My daughter and I used Fanny packs which we turned around and used in front. You are actually able to lock them to your body... they use steel mesh inside the pack so no one can cut, a cable is hid inside the strap so it can't be cut and another pocket which zips with no lock is hidden with easy access. My son got a backpack that can also be used as a portable safe and my wife bought a safe camera case that also has a strap that has a hidden cable in it so it can not be cut... they also have safe Purses... again they have so many options with different comfort levels and we felt very safe with no worries of what might happen. Also the folks on our ship recommended that we NOT take our passports off the ship... we just left them in the safe

I enjoyed CrusingGoddess' article! We are doing pretty much the same thing for our trip to Europe. We bought the belt loop pouches but I purchased Eagle Creek rather than Lewis and Clark. Not sure it would have made a difference but the pouch is too big for me. I wear fitted pants and the pouch is too obvious against my tummy..and adds a little pooch there that I definitely don't need on top my 'natural' pooch.

So my money and cards will go in my Pacsafe purse and I will either leave the passport in the safe or give it to my hubby to carry. If I am feeling creative, I might sew a little silky pocket to safety pin in my pants but since I am not the artsy crafty type, I probably won't get around to it! ;)

I wear fitted pants and the pouch is too obvious against my tummy..and adds a little pooch there that I definitely don't need on top my 'natural' pooch.

So my money and cards will go in my Pacsafe purse and I will either leave the passport in the safe or give it to my hubby to carry. If I am feeling creative, I might sew a little silky pocket to safety pin in my pants but since I am not the artsy crafty type, I probably won't get around to it! ;)

I also find the pouches and money belts too bulky and far too hot. I'm hardly artsy/crafty, but did manage to sew small pockets with a little zipper in them (got the idea from a pair of Tilley pants I bought) for DH and I that we pin in the pants. Zipper faces towards your body when pocket is tucked inside and it faces outside, when you flip pocket out to access it. Worked just fine and without that bulky feeling around your middle.

Still remember the advice given by a Land Tour director in Europe a couple of years ago- "in a pinch, carry your valuables in thin sock, pinned to inside of your pants." Very cheap and good advice!

2 weeks ago in Rome we watched a pick pocket in progress at Trevi fountain. The minute we arrived at the fountain I felt like it would be a perfect location to pick pocket with the dense group of tourists. The pick pocket took what he wanted and was gone before the victim knew what had happened. My husband stores his money in his socks and I store mine in my bra and never had a problem.

I also find the pouches and money belts too bulky and far too hot. I'm hardly artsy/crafty, but did manage to sew small pockets with a little zipper in them (got the idea from a pair of Tilley pants I bought) for DH and I that we pin in the pants. Zipper faces towards your body when pocket is tucked inside and it faces outside, when you flip pocket out to access it. Worked just fine and without that bulky feeling around your middle.

Still remember the advice given by a Land Tour director in Europe a couple of years ago- "in a pinch, carry your valuables in thin sock, pinned to inside of your pants." Very cheap and good advice!

Good idea! I asked a 15 year old friend to make a pocket for me. She is very good at sewing and I am going to pay her $10 to do it. I think I will try some velcro since a zipper may be worth more than $10! LOL

I could have done it myself but her family is struggling right now and I figured she would love to earn a little money. She was thrilled that I asked so it was worth it.

I made my own pockets, one with a loop to match each pair of pants. (If you hem your own pants you can use material you cut off.)

No matter how you carry your valuables, you want to be able to relax knowing that they cannot be reached. I do have a Pac-Safe backpack, but would never put money in it or wear any kind of external purse. They are an open invitation telling thieves where the money is.

Archived