Money Belts or not

michaeleds

Chipmaster, you have obviously not been a victim before. I had a brand new $1000 camera stolen out of our backpack in Costa Rica, I was held up at gunpoint in my garage, had my wallet stolen from inside my house and from inside my car, yada yada yada!! So yes, I AM paranoid, and deservedly so, I believe. I have heard lots of CC stories about tourists getting ripped off in Europe--you may have been lucky so far, but I sure wouldn't count on it. I am still going to keep MY money secure!;)

Ok had some great information to think about... let me ask you this... should my family all carry passports... I'm thinking yes.. or not... and if so should we have secure place such as a money belt or one of the cool Pacsafe anti-theft bags to carry all...

I've read the posts and some really good info... but I really.... really want to bring my video camera... is the Pacsafe products "too good" to be true... leaning in that direction. They have some neat products for backpacks, camera straps...

Ok had some great information to think about... let me ask you this... should my family all carry passports... I'm thinking yes.. or not... and if so should we have secure place such as a money belt or one of the cool Pacsafe anti-theft bags to carry all...

When in Rome pre-and post cruise we carried passports in the leg wallets. No problems. Comfortable, and we both wore long pants. We weren't comfortable with the safe in our hotel room. While in port we never carry our passport. If you think you have to have it for some reason it should, IMHO, be under your clothes somewhere...so thieves would practically have to strip you to find it!

My 80 year old absent minded dad decided to wander Barcelona Las Ramblas with wallet, passport, everything getting lost from us for an hour +. He came back with everything. My two boys wandered the same busy tourist area with DSLR hanging around their necks looking very much the American tourist. All came back with was some nice pictures too. Does that mean I'd take a multi thousand dollar camera and lens to some distant town in South America, NO. But Rome, Barcelona, or Athens, you bet. But that is my personal comfort level and everyone needs to choose what is comfortable for them. Perhaps not leaving their home town might be the safest and least worrisome activity ;)

For all the stories of theft and pickpocketing I think most people come back with their stuff. No different than say many other activities where bad thing happen to small percentage of people. I always feel sorry to read and hear personal stories of loss as nothing feels worst than that personal violation. But in the end common sense and smart behavior is a far better defense than any gizmo. Gadget + common sense and smarts is of course better. Paranoid and obbessive worry add to that gadgets is almost the perfect recipe to be singled out as the best of target IMHO ;)

Safe travels!

Well......you know what they say about beginner's luck. :p

I was using your "normal precautions" when my wallet was taken in Barcelona. I'm not a clueless traveler; I'm pretty experienced. Yet they took my wallet out of my cross-body purse that was under my arm and zipped, without any knowledge of it on my part.

I now take extra precautions when I am traveling, because I wouldn't be relaxed or able to enjoy my sightseeing if I was worried about pickpockets.

One could also say that drinking and driving isn't bad, because probably only a low percentage of drunk drivers get into accidents. Most make it home safely. So why worry? :rolleyes:

IMHO pulling out money belt a few times each day is no different than reaching in your pocket a few times each day. The only real difference is I know with certainty my money will be there when using my money belt. BTW I use the same type money belt as the one at the link in BIGGUY25's post

As for relative hassle, I'll stick with the money belt as opposed to potentially losing cash and credit cards and the hassle that involves...

Boy, I would NEVER, EVER take my passport ashore unless I absolutely had to. It is so much safer in your safe! I do take color photocopies, but that is it. I have been told that passports are the #1 pickpocket target. I have spent months in Europe and never once been asked to 'show my papers'. However, won't be traveling to Arizona any time soon. . .

I've read the posts and some really good info... but I really.... really want to bring my video camera... is the Pacsafe products "too good" to be true... leaning in that direction. They have some neat products for backpacks, camera straps...

DH really likes this camera bag (for his DSLR) and carried it throughout our 3 weeks in Europe (and to many other destinations). Very comfortable, easy to access and secure. He has the 7x Velocity: Tamrac Camera Bag

For a money belt, he has used the waist ones, but now prefers the neck one and has the one from Eagle Creek. He uses it for passport copies, money and credit cards (as well as passports when we need to carry them with us). We take passport copies on our port days, originals stay in the safe. We also leave an extra set of credit/debit cards in the safe ... i.e. we bring cards from two different banks, so that if one set gets stolen, we still have access to another bank card.

Since there are 4 in your family traveling together, you might want to have 2 money belts or neck pouches and have 2 people divide up the valuable items.

I take a small backpack for our daily incidental needs ... travel info, small amount of money, sunscreen, water, etc. I've looked at PacSafe bags in a store here, but didn't feel that it would improve on what we now do.

we had our video camera with us the whole time, kept that & cameras in our back packs, just watch one anothers back, another good tip; keep your stuff in DH's back pack & vice versa, that way you don't have to take it off to get to stuff each time, we also had double knotted ribbons to hold the zippers closed on DH's back pack, (mine has a tiny lock) maybe it was the time of year, but the pickpockets are kind of easy to spot, just be aware, plan wisely, but don't be so paranoid that you don't enjoy.

Well......you know what they say about beginner's luck. :p

I was using your "normal precautions" when my wallet was taken in Barcelona. I'm not a clueless traveler; I'm pretty experienced. Yet they took my wallet out of my cross-body purse that was under my arm and zipped, without any knowledge of it on my part.

I now take extra precautions when I am traveling, because I wouldn't be relaxed or able to enjoy my sightseeing if I was worried about pickpockets.

One could also say that drinking and driving isn't bad, because probably only a low percentage of drunk drivers get into accidents. Most make it home safely. So why worry? :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more! All it takes is one time being pickpocketed and you start living a little bit of a different reality. It kind of spooked me when it happened....when did they get it? HOW did they get it? How could I be so dumb? When did I let my guard down? I was being so careful!...

Don't let those kinds of thoughts intrude on and take away from your great vacation. Take the extra precautions and laugh about it later if you didn't need them. The reality is they may have worked and you never even knew it... :eek:

I just ordered one of the smaller PacSafe handbags. For those who have used one, do you think that the safety latches on the zippers are truly a deterrent to pickpockets? I am pretty convinced that the bag is not going to be slashed open or the straps cut, but I am still not sold about the zipper locks. Do they work to deter thieves??

When I was pickpocketed, I was doing everything I could/should have been doing short of staying off the Metro in Barcelona. I have commented on it elsewhere, but my bag was across my body and in front of me and my fingers were looped to form a "lock" between the end of the zipper pull and the ring on the bag strap. I was bumped from behind and the person in front of me stopped cold, and I naturally reacted by letting go of the "lock" my fingers had formed so that I could use my hand to grab a railing. Two seconds later, I was being shoved off the train. There were just a few Euros and a credit card (quickly cancelled) in my bag, so it was not catastrophic....but I would like to have something that really does secure my passport (etc) while transiting airports and getting to hotels, etc. (My passport has spent a ton of time inside my sock which is inside my shoe...but that trick doesn't work when it's sandal weather!)

I wish a pickpocketer would show up and answer this question for me, but I'd be happy for any those who have these type bags to chime in with thoughts about the security of the zipper locks :)

I would not put my passport in any kind of external bag. I have a pac safe backpack and love it. The zippers clip together and are tucked under an overhanging fabric edge. It would take more than a quick jostle to get it open. The bag is very comfortable and functional. I would carefully carry a camera in it along with quide books, hats, sweaters, etc.

My passport and cards and money go in an inside pocket which has a loop for my belt. In addition I pin this to the inside of pants or skirt. Then I can relax.

My husband nearly fell for a scam on the subway in Athens. Someone (part of a group of young men who surrounded him as we got on the car) asked him the time. My husband started to take his hand out of his pocket to look at his watch. He had a wallet with a small amount of money in this pocket, and realized what was happening just in time to slap away the hand that was starting to reach in. These things can happen in seconds. And yes they do target tourists. And you will look like a tourist even if you think you do not.

My bag just arrived from Amazon a few minutes ago. When I first checked the zippers, I thought there was no way I was keeping this bag. I thought a safety pin would be equally effective. However, after examining it a little closer, it is actually able to be quite a bit more secure than I thought.

The hardware that locks the zippers to the bag is not that secure. I was able to undo it one-handed with my fingernail. It would be tricky to then open the zipper with the same hand because it runs the opposite direction from the move that is necessary to release the lock...but I think it could be done with practice. :)

However.....the hardware that clasps the straps to the bag is pretty secure. I am sure that thieves are very clear on *how* to defeat it....but, it is probably going to take too much time. You have the twist open part of the mechanism so that it is aligned correctly (sort of like a childproof medicine bottle) and *then* you can pull down to release the spring which opens the lock that allows you to remove the strap. The part that twists is tiny, and I have to do it with my fingernail. To get the straps off this bag and let it fall to the ground for a grab-n-run, one cannot just grab the hardware and pull back on the spring. (Unless, of course, the owner forgets to twist it closed and it's sitting there aligned and ready to be popped open.)

The main compartment zipper ends right next to *both* the zipper lock *and* the strap lock. So....instead of using the zipper lock, I am going to use the strap lock to secure the main compartment closed. I will feel much better using that hardware, because I think it's tricky enough that, when worn cross body and in front, it is just going to take too much time to defeat. They are betting off getting into someone's bag that only requires a quick unzip.

I think the previous poster is right about not keeping the passport in this bag. I was hoping to find a way to get it off my body, because, to be honest, when it's too hot to keep my passport in my sock, it's too hot for me to be comfortable with neck wallets, waist wallets or those little bags that dangle from belts. Although I am happy with this bag, and am going to keep it (and I feel comfortable about putting cash and cc in it), I think I am going to use the old standby when I cannot use my sock. My bra....:)

Someone asked if Pacsafe bags were 'too good to be true'. I think this depends on what you expect from them. I am the kind of person, like those Italian ladies, who always forgets to check the zipper on my purse or backpack. I tend to get home and then realize that I could have lost everything inside, not necessarily from pickpockets but from things falling out! I also find that my purses, even good ones, sometimes come open on their own. So for me, having the clasps on the purses and bags that close and 'lock' will help. But I will still need to be careful. If I am in a crowd, I will be aware of where my bag is and hang it in front of me.

A false sense of security probably isn't a good idea with any bag, even ones that have security features. But there are a lot of little things I like about these bags, such as the ability to put the strap through a chair when eating at a restaurant. I like the fact that you can use a small lock on the zippers of the backpacks if you want to do so. And even though it might be possible for a thief to undo the zippers with some work, it would take time and be easier for me to notice.

Not perfect, but it relieves my mind of a little bit of worry. At least I will know my zippers are clasped and not open. I will know that someone can't walk by and snatch my purse off my chair or cut the strap that is around my neck.

Please be careful of the pockets that loop onto your belt. If you forget it is there, and have to take your belt off in the airport, you can lose your pocket. Keeping this in mind, I really like this for my husband. Comfortable and easy to access if necessary.

Going on a Europe cruise in the fall and will definitely take a money belt. For those that use ATM cards - do you ever have concerns with the ATM machine not giving you your ATM card back?

Nervous about the potential that this could happen, but maybe I shouldnt be?:confused:

Going on a Europe cruise in the fall and will definitely take a money belt. For those that use ATM cards - do you ever have concerns with the ATM machine not giving you your ATM card back?

Nervous about the potential that this could happen, but maybe I shouldnt be?:confused:

I have traveled and used my ATM card pretty extensively -- never had a problem yet. However, after reading "cautionary" statements on this board, I did get a second debit card (which I generally leave in the ship or hotel safe) just in case. This is quite easy to do.

But I have yet to need it! :)

This happened to me in Mykonos, Greece last November! I was trying to be cautious and only used ATMs right outside a real bank. After a nice day in Mykonos (our 2nd port of an 11 day cruise plus we had 4 more days in Rome after the cruise), the ATM ate my card!!! It spit it out a little bit, but I couldn't grab onto it (I would have needed a pliers, because only a tiny corner was exposed), and it sucked it back in and kept it! It also didn't give me the 280 euros I requested! I went inside the bank and they said sorry, but they couldn't get into the machine to get my card.

When I got back onto the ship (Celebrity Solstice), I went to the main purser desk and told them what happened. Although I had an international cell phone with me, I hoped I could use theirs because I figured I might be on hold a while. They placed the call on their phone (free) and I was able to contact my bank to cancel my card.

I was fortunate that I had done the things you're supposed to do before a trip. (I had called my ATM and credit card companies to tell them when we'd be out of the country and where we'd be and I wrote down all the card numbers and the US and worldwide phone numbers for each company. It's a good thing because I needed that information.)

We were worried because although DH and I both had ATM cards for 2 different accounts, mine was eaten early in the trip! They said they'd send a replacement card to my hotel in Rome for our post-cruise stay. But mine was eaten the Tuesday before the long Thanksgiving weekend and my new card did not arrive at the Rome hotel until after we left for the airport on the last day. So I had to cancel another card!!!

After my card was eaten, we examined each subsequent ATM machine before we used it. I refused to use the same style that had eaten my card (where only a tiny bit of the card would show.)

We spent 2 weeks in Rome less than 6 months later and didn't have any problems, although I did pass up some machines that were designed the same as the one that ate mine.

Bottom line: This can happen. Be as prepared as you can be. Have multiple ways of getting money from different accounts and be ready for loss or theft.

General comments (mostly common sense):

--Agree: don't carry your psssport while shore. Just take a laminated photo copy.

--I always wear a money belt inside my pants but rarely open it. Better idea: on shore trips, only carry a small amount of cash and only one credit/debit card. I keep them in a hidden front zipper pocket of my pants.

--I too had an ATM eat my card once in Venice. That's why you should always take one or more extras.

--Never have had a problem lugging around my Nikons and lenses; just been lucky I guess. (I did have a guy want to buy one of my cameras when visiting Singapore).

--When you go ashore, "dress down." Leave your nice clothes/shoes and jewelry on the ship. One one trip, a sidewalk salesman from a jewerly store in Malta tried to interest me in a $10,000 watch. I held up my arm and showed him the $9 watch from Target that I was wearing, and said that was all I could afford. (I had left my Rolex on the ship.)

--Women who carry a large purse are asking for trouble. Use a money belt or use one of those small cloth pockets you can pin to your bra.

I used a pacsafe purse when we were in Europe. I wore it across my chest and to the front of me, and kept my hand on the strap at all times. I had my camera in the bag and some cash hidden, but not in a wallet. I had no problem, but we didn't use mass transit as we were on a private tour. My mom just carried a regular small purse. There were gypsies in front of the Duomo in Florence who my brother gave money to despite my warnings beforehand to avoid them. They didn't make any attempt to rob or pickpocket him.

In hindsight I think I worried about it a bit too much. We had a wonderful trip.

• 2 weeks later...
I would not recommend that all of you carry money when you go in port. I carry money in many ports in a moeny belt that goes under my shirt and around my neck. If you feel a need for one other person to carry money maybe have your wife carry it as well. I take one credit card and one atm card.

Keith

I agree with Keith :)

We just returned from two weeks on the Pacific Princess in Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt and Italy and I can now heartily endorse Pac Safe's new product. For years, my DW has used their purse product (Metrosafe). I now used their "fanny pack" type of device. But I never wore it on my back. It works well positioned on your hip ... or just in front of it. Actually, you can wear it anyway you like. Here are some features:

As with all of the products, there are metal strands in the belt that makes cutting impossible.

The buckle has a simple velcro covering that prevents anyone from reaching in an unfastening it.

The fabric has a metal mesh under it that prevents slashing with a knife.

It has two big zippered compartments each with "clips" so that they cannot be opened by anyone other than you.

Inside the back pocket there is another zippered pocket that provides even more security inside.

The belt has another security feature that allows you to "lock" the pack to a chair or post at your dinner table (I kept that attached even when I was wearing it.) With this "clipped," even if the buckle broke, the pack wouldn't fall off.

It's really is a wonderful product for guys. I really loved it and it provided much more secure space that the wallet that I used to use that attached to my belt and tucked into my pants. You can check it out on sites like Magellans or Travelsmith.

My DW got tired of me telling her so many times how much I loved the product!!

Purchased this belt from Magellan's for our recent trip in Italy and Greece, worked great.

Product Features:

Leather money belt has 14" long zippered currency compartment concealed on the inside of belt

Made of top quality leather

Safe and secure way to carry currency while shopping and sightseeing in foreigncountries

http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Men___Hats___AccessoriesSV345?Args=

SV811_lg.jpg.7073af31cb1f16b86df7ae3c7ccc4a7a.jpg

I found an inexpensive money belt , that has a slim pouch for around your waist, at Target , like 8 bucks! I put it on and under the waist band of my short.We used those , one for my DH one for me, with the major bucks, and put 25 euros in our pockets, for gelato and water. We were so glad to have them, because on the train, someone tried to pick pocket my 18 yr old! We used the ATM 's there alot, taking 200 euro s out at a time, so we didnt have a lot of money on us, The exchange rate was great and if you check with your bank, you may find it really isnt that big of a surcharge to use the ATM.

Archived