Money Belts or not

michaeleds

I would not recommend that all of you carry money when you go in port. I carry money in many ports in a moeny belt that goes under my shirt and around my neck. If you feel a need for one other person to carry money maybe have your wife carry it as well. I take one credit card and one atm card.

Keith

I would not recommend that all of you carry money when you go in port. I carry money in many ports in a moeny belt that goes under my shirt and around my neck. If you feel a need for one other person to carry money maybe have your wife carry it as well. I take one credit card and one atm card.

Keith

I agree with Keith. I think it is good to have money in more than one place for both you and your wife, but you might be able to better deal with/be aware of potential pickpockets than your kids, even though one is 19. Your kids would probably feel terrible if they were pickpocketed and it happens so quickly!

My husband and I used leg wallets (which sound uncomfortable, but you forget they are even there) because we spent several days in Rome before and after our cruise and didn't trust the hotel safe. So we carried everything hidden but never planned or needed to access it during the day. You wouldn't want to use that for day to day port visits....too hard and obvious to get into.

When on the ship we left most money and cards in the safe. My husband used a wallet on a chain that attaches to the belt or belt loop and really liked it....stays in a front pocket. I travelled with capris that had side pockets low on the leg that zipped and buttoned...and gave me easy access to money, but would be much more challenging for a pickpocket.

When in really crowded situations like the Vatican, we used the old standby...a big safety pin to keep a pocket closed until we were in more comfortable surroundings. I was pickpocketed in Paris years ago and certainly believe in being careful....puts an awful damper on a vacation.

Some people say they can deal with a pickpocket taking off with a "dummy" wallet with a few euros in it...but I am not one of them. I don't want them taking a single euro from me! They are remarkably resourceful and sneaky and clever and often work in teams/gangs so my opinion is to be as vigilant and on the offense as possible! IMHO those who are rather cavalier about pickpockets are the people who have never been victims! It's not like you need to be paranoid...just careful and situationally aware.

Here's a link to a security wallet that I use. It's small, it works absolutely great and it is easy to access and tuck back in.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Wallets___Money_Belts___Security_Wallets___Money_BeltsSV622R?Args=

Also, PacSafe has come out with a high-security waist pack that is impossible for a thief to get into ... and and equally impossible him/her to cut or break the belt. I'll be trying that on our upcoming Med cruise so I can't give it an absolute "thumbs up" yet.

I think you should do whatever it takes for you to feel comfortable and able to enjoy your vacation, and don't worry what it looks like to others.

I agree that you shouldn't take more than you need for the day, and that an ATM card is your best friend. It's a trade off - using the ATM card each day adds up expenses (fees imposed by your bank), but if it increases your sense of security, there's great value in that cost.

We use a neck pouch from Rick Steves. The best thing about it is that it is lined with plastic so if you sweat (like I do :rolleyes:), the pouch gets wet but not what ever is inside. We carry a credit card, an ATM card and whatever $$ we think we will need.

Kirk

Just back - never had a lot of money on us in the first place except for when w/drawing money from an ATM. It stayed in the hotel/ship safe. Each day only leave with enough cash for incidentals for everyone and one of two different CC you should take on trip with you. Money and the other credit card and ATM cards always stayed in the safe.

Used a PacSafe purse crossbody (found a wallet with a long tiny link chain that I hooked down thru the zipper pull which worked very well) and niece (20 y/o) wore a bra stash. She snapped it between the cups down around the elastic along the bottom and it hung down her stomach where she tucked it into her pants. Neither of us had a problem.

Be especially aware of crowded places and you'll be fine - the Vatican museums, Sistene Chapel, the Rambla in Barcelona and walking up the Acropolis steps in Athens are places where you are pressed up against a lot of other people.

Thoughts on money belts... is this something all the family should wear? I have 14 year old, 19 year old and my wife and I.

The husband of a lady I work with had his wallet lifted in Santorini. You will find many stories on this site about pickpockets. We opted for money belts on our trip last summer and we only took enough cash ashore for the day and a credit card for any larger purchases. The moneybelts worked great. I highly recommend using one...

I have been ripped off several times in different circumstances, so I AM paranoid! I found a great little satin 'bra pouch' that clips onto the straps--it gave me SUCH peace of mind that I could walk the streets care free. I kept my seapass, ATM card, and some euros in it--worked perfectly. I totally agree with the person who said that you don't know what it's like until it's happened to you, so much better safe than sorry.

Oh, and I would not have the kids carry any more than a few euros for a gelato!

There is nothing like the security of knowing your money and cards are safely hidden. I prefer a hidden inside pocket. This has a loop my belt goes through, but I also pin in on the inside to a pocket. (This is like the 'security wallet' referred to above.) If you wear a money belt, the waist band could be cut so I would also pin the pocket on the inside. Then you can relax.

I think 14 and especially 19 year olds need to learn how to keep valuables safe and should also have money belts or pockets.

Sometimes people over do this, the question is what will the money belt be for?

I put my private tour money in a belt for the tour day as I paid at the end of the day ~ 1000 euros. Kept it tight and safe for the busy day, it was nice and sweaty by days end, but gave it all to the tour guide :D For the days spending money, credit card, cruise card I simply kept it in my front zippered secured pocket. Didn't feel the need for the extra hassle for something often used.

To carry couple hundred euros, CC in a body belt then to have to reach in and get it out 3-5 times a day and many times likely at a museuem entrance, transit center or to buy a bottle of water sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

IMHO common sense and keep valuables on your front side and held when in crowds is best and only way to travel. All the extras are nice but kind of like having 3 locks on your front door.

As to your kids, hmm no good answer here, you know them best. My two boys have learned their lesson of life at home already getting things stolen or lost and not returned so they already appreciate the ramifications of losing money or other valuables. I'd hold their cruise card as it would be a real hassle to lose that. I'd let them carry their own cash. For sure not let them take their passports into port for sure.

Safe travels.

Thoughts on money belts... is this something all the family should wear? I have 14 year old, 19 year old and my wife and I.

If you don't worry about losing your money, then it might be ridiculous to you. But for those who have experienced losing their credit cards, money, and/or passports...or those who would worry if they didn't feel their money was secure, then it is NOT ridiculous at all. Peace of mind while traveling is a huge deal and worth all the naysayers making fun of me on Cruise Critics. :)

I will take what I need to make sure my money and important items are secure and then relax on my trip. I have heard all sorts of stories about zippers on 'secure pockets' later found open with everything inside that pocket missing. It does happen very quickly and these people are pretty good at what they do.

Again, if that doesn't concern you, fine. But its really not nice to call people ridiculous. If nothing happens and I have my nice moneybelt and Pacsafe purse at the end of the trip, then what do I lose? The money spent was well worth the peace of mind. But if someone gets into my pocket or takes my passport? Then I will feel ridiculous for not listening to all the wise people on the CC board.

If you don't worry about losing your money, then it might be ridiculous to you. But for those who have experienced losing their credit cards, money, and/or passports...or those who would worry if they didn't feel their money was secure, then it is NOT ridiculous at all. Peace of mind while traveling is a huge deal and worth all the naysayers making fun of me on Cruise Critics. :)

I will take what I need to make sure my money and important items are secure and then relax on my trip. I have heard all sorts of stories about zippers on 'secure pockets' later found open with everything inside that pocket missing. It does happen very quickly and these people are pretty good at what they do.

Again, if that doesn't concern you, fine. But its really not nice to call people ridiculous. If nothing happens and I have my nice moneybelt and Pacsafe purse at the end of the trip, then what do I lose? The money spent was well worth the peace of mind. But if someone gets into my pocket or takes my passport? Then I will feel ridiculous for not listening to all the wise people on the CC board.

I believe Chipmaster was saying that for large amounts and important stuff he DID put it in a more secure place. He was referring to the small amounts that you would use to make small purchases, like gelato. Instead of having to lift up your shirt, unzip yourself and expose both you and your money and valuables to everyone he was suggesting a secondary place to put the commonly used small amounts. I have to agree with him.

DH and I both use the hidden pocket (you can search for it on Amazon.com) It is like a money belt but it has 2 loops that you slide your belt through and you tuck it inside the front of your pants/shorts.

IMO, this style is more secure than money belts that have an elastic strap around your waist or wallets that have a neck cord. I considered PacSafe purses/backpacks, but they're not totally secure and they also can send a message to thieves that you've got valuable stuff inside.

We avoid Europe when it is hot, so when I often wear a jacket in the evening. I wear a Scottevest jacket with lots of secure inside pockets. I also wear it on the plane because it's handy to have all the pockets.

I think all adults should have a credit card and ATM card with them on port days because what if something horrible happens and you miss the ship? The main sights for many European ports are not near the port.

40117-BK.jpgDH & I both have one of these, it's silk so it breathes & you don't get sticky from it, I also have a leather backpack (can't be cut) with hidden compartments inside. I would have the kids both have a pouch of their own with a little money & a copy of their passports in case you somehow got seperated.

I believe Chipmaster was saying that for large amounts and important stuff he DID put it in a more secure place. He was referring to the small amounts that you would use to make small purchases, like gelato. Instead of having to lift up your shirt, unzip yourself and expose both you and your money and valuables to everyone he was suggesting a secondary place to put the commonly used small amounts. I have to agree with him.

Maybe..but I consider a credit card as a valuable. Losing my credit card on vacation would be a huge hassle. And even if someone wished to keep their small bills in a money belt, which I agree might be inconvenient, it is not ridiculous to them. I wish people would speak for themselves rather than ridicule people who do things differently.

I considered PacSafe purses/backpacks, but they're not totally secure and they also can send a message to thieves that you've got valuable stuff inside.

Do you have any links to information that says this? I am curious because I have searched and searched and found only one person who had her Pacsafe backpack slashed and they didn't get anything because the valuables were on the bottom of the pack where it was slashproof. I have read plenty of stories where pickpockets stopped following people when they realized they had a Pacsafe or similar secured items.

I would imagine a Gucci bag, which seems rather a popular bag to take to Europe, would scream money more than a $60 Pacsafe bag. :) And it would be much easier to snatch. Most crooks want to get in and out quickly without causing a scene. The time to undo a secured or locked zipper or locate the appropriate place to slash a bag is a lot more time and effort than choosing one of the millions of other bags out there. Quite honestly, most tourists have the same things with them...cameras, money, passports and credit cards. An easier mark is more worth the effort.

Maybe..but I consider a credit card as a valuable. Losing my credit card on vacation would be a huge hassle. And even if someone wished to keep their small bills in a money belt, which I agree might be inconvenient, it is not ridiculous to them. I wish people would speak for themselves rather than ridicule people who do things differently.

I think you might be taking it a little too personally. I read Chipmaster's post, and it appears he/she thinks the IDEA is ridiculous, not calling anyone ridiculous. That's their opinion, and -- although I don't happen to agree with it -- he or she is entitled to express it, just as anyone else is free to provide the opposite opinion.

I think alot of folks think it will not happen to them. If you travel enough it will. My BF had his wallet lifted on backstreet in BCN, right in front of me. Luckily his real $$ was in moneybelt. Daughter had new camera stolen Europe. Spend under $10 for the cheapest insurance ever. Wait until you get to your destination to change $$. Use credit card/ debit card at ATM. Have OP with you when doing transaction protecting you. I wear a neck wallet with just enough $ for that day. ; tuck wallet part into my jeans front. Larger sums in moneybelt strapped low under panties- deep storage. I have a really lightweight backpack which I carry a jacket, umbrella etc. Have had it unzipped several times. Nothing of value so nothing taken. I carry disposable camera only. Passport kept in safes. Last quote I heard on a blackmarket PP was $1000, so guard it.

I've been to Europe several times and have seen many, many pickpockets in action. I would not consider going out without a money belt. I carry my credit card, ATM card, copy of my passport, and all but about $20 of my cash, which I carry in a small Pac-Safe bag along with my camera.

When I think about how terrible it would be to lose any of my belongings, wearing a very comfortable money belt seems to be the easiest way to go!

Do you have any links to information that says this? I am curious because I have searched and searched and found only one person who had her Pacsafe backpack slashed and they didn't get anything because the valuables were on the bottom of the pack where it was slashproof. I have read plenty of stories where pickpockets stopped following people when they realized they had a Pacsafe or similar secured items.

I would imagine a Gucci bag, which seems rather a popular bag to take to Europe, would scream money more than a $60 Pacsafe bag. :) And it would be much easier to snatch. Most crooks want to get in and out quickly without causing a scene. The time to undo a secured or locked zipper or locate the appropriate place to slash a bag is a lot more time and effort than choosing one of the millions of other bags out there. Quite honestly, most tourists have the same things with them...cameras, money, passports and credit cards. An easier mark is more worth the effort.

I did a ton of research on this topic last year before our first trip to Europe. (We loved it so much we spent 2 weeks in Rome less than 6 months later!) There was a HUGE thread on this very topic on this board (before CruiseCritic separated the Mediterranean into different boards.) I gained a lot of information from it and from other digging on the internet, so I'm not sure exactly where I got my info.

I planned to buy a PacSafe bag, but I changed my mind after extensive research. I just checked their website and it's different now. A year ago, It used to show a very specific diagram of all the safety features for each bag (such as exactly where the exomesh panels were and weren't.) I read that the thieves also kept abreast of each style so they'd know where they could slash. The PacSafe site is more vague now, possibly for that very reason. I also read the theory that since they recognize the PacSafe bags, that they know you wouldn't spend that much to put regular stuff in it.

I decided to leave my DSLR camera with different lenses at home and just brought 2 small digital cameras.

I ended up using a hidden pocket (attached to my belt and under my pants) and put the other things I wanted with me (map, guidebook, kleenex, hand cream, lip ointment, sanitizing gel, and my cameras in soft cases) in a white plastic bag that I got when I bought something from a vendor. If I needed a jacket, I wore a Scottevest and used the inside pockets. No backpack, no purse, no tote bag. Just me and my rinky-dink plastic bag. It worked very well. When we were in Rome for 2 weeks, I was often on packed buses and subways in the late afternoon and I never had a problem.

This is a good time to bring up the need to either have different memory cards for your camera or back them up daily so if your camera is lost/stolen, you don't lose all your pictures. I bring a netbook and do nightly backups onto it and two 16GB USB flash drives for that very reason. I keep one flash drive in my hidden pocket so it is separated from the netbook.

I guess everyone just needs to decide what they feel comfortable with and go with that.

We spent two months in Italy and France this winter. I was amazed to see local women carrying huge purses gaping wide open everywhere we went. No one seemed to have a care in the world. This really makes me think that the pickpockets only come out when the tourists show up (and there were not many at all when we were there), and/or that they only target tourists and not locals. If I had been so inclined, I could have lifted wallets all over the place!

Luckily for me, the coat I brought has an inside breast pocket, similar to most men's jackets, and I kept my debit card and euros for the day in there--but obviously that doesn't work in the heat of summer!

I'm just curious about this while thing now that I think about it. . .

We spent two months in Italy and France this winter. I was amazed to see local women carrying huge purses gaping wide open everywhere we went. No one seemed to have a care in the world. This really makes me think that the pickpockets only come out when the tourists show up (and there were not many at all when we were there), and/or that they only target tourists and not locals. If I had been so inclined, I could have lifted wallets all over the place!

Luckily for me, the coat I brought has an inside breast pocket, similar to most men's jackets, and I kept my debit card and euros for the day in there--but obviously that doesn't work in the heat of summer!

I have noticed the same thing in Rome -- when I go in November or December, the pickpockets are pretty scarce (as are the tourists)! I always figured they left for the winter to go somewhere warm (like Santorini) with all their ill-gotten gains. ;)

My 80 year old absent minded dad decided to wander Barcelona Las Ramblas with wallet, passport, everything getting lost from us for an hour +. He came back with everything. My two boys wandered the same busy tourist area with DSLR hanging around their necks looking very much the American tourist. All came back with was some nice pictures too. Does that mean I'd take a multi thousand dollar camera and lens to some distant town in South America, NO. But Rome, Barcelona, or Athens, you bet. But that is my personal comfort level and everyone needs to choose what is comfortable for them. Perhaps not leaving their home town might be the safest and least worrisome activity ;)

For all the stories of theft and pickpocketing I think most people come back with their stuff. No different than say many other activities where bad thing happen to small percentage of people. I always feel sorry to read and hear personal stories of loss as nothing feels worst than that personal violation. But in the end common sense and smart behavior is a far better defense than any gizmo. Gadget + common sense and smarts is of course better. Paranoid and obbessive worry add to that gadgets is almost the perfect recipe to be singled out as the best of target IMHO ;)

Safe travels!

Archived