Possible cc group cruise - carnival spirit 15 day hawaii - apr 13/12

Luckysll

Hi Linda. I think we've come close to cruising together before, maybe this time will be the charm. :D Look forward to meeting you.

Yes, we have! I hope this one works out :D

Hi Sandy! Please mark DH and me as interested! I've been trying to talk him into it for a few days, right now the only thing that's holding him back is the $800 deposit. :p But this is such an amazing cruise, I'm hoping I can sweet talk him into it. ;)

Thanks!!

SmudgeCat

Here's one definition I found:

"Malihini"

malihini (mah-ly-hee-nee) noun: Non-derisive old Hawaiian word, meaning the opposite of kamaaina, or local. If first time come Hawaii, that's you, brah: a stranger, tourist, someone who wears socks and shoes instead of rubbah slippahs and eats rice with a fork, not chopsticks. You remain a malihini until you use "used to be" landmarks as directional aids.

Now, I don't know if that's too "dumb tourist" or not. :D

I think I see now what Dh's book was getting at. :p Not really an ugly term or anything, just referring to a person that is new and doesn't know the local customs since a local would never eat rice with fork or wear socks and shoes. :p

LOL on the "used to be" reference- we always joke here at home that you become a true resident when you start giving directions by, "you take a left at where the old Sears used to be" or "it's right across the street from where the old such-and-such plant used to be." Doesn't matter if these places were out of business before you were born - you still give directions by where they once were. :p

LOL - no, we definitely don't want to be dumb tourists! :p I can't really find any negative reference to it online except that it seems to be used more as a newcomer that has taken up permanent residence in actual usage. So it really might be fine. :o My DH bought a Hawaiian dictionary and linguistics book while we were there and he found that definition there. Whatever you guys decide, you might try running it by one of the locals that post over on the tripadvisor Hawaii forums. There are so many nuances to language in Hawaii you never know when you might be saying something completely different than you thought! :eek:

Just an example, I learned pretty quickly that those beachwear sandals most of us call flip-flops are always called "slippahs" in Hawaii. Flip flop is something else entirely and has some racial connotations to it.

Careful! Sounds like you are already one of us!:D

Hi Sandy! Please mark DH and me as interested! I've been trying to talk him into it for a few days, right now the only thing that's holding him back is the $800 deposit. :p But this is such an amazing cruise, I'm hoping I can sweet talk him into it. ;)

Thanks!!

SmudgeCat

I'll put you down on the list. Usually the group cruises have a reduced deposit for guaranteed cabins, so hopefully that will convince your DH to book. :D

Who's interested:

1. Luckysll - Sandy

2. Flippr5657 - Andrea and Dave

3. Molly BPOE - Molly and Robert

4. Mohavemommy

5. Cruisingcouple2008 - Amy and Austin

6. PoofyTheCat

7. Anotherlurker

8. Smoofdaddy & Mama Linda

9. Danysmom - Cheryl

10. pzerba & jayzee

11. Pee-ah - Pia

12. Golfpccc - Dave and Carla

13. bjc5243

14. dogbert's Mom - Janice and Don

15. chickie4617

16. LEtue - Linda

17. cruisergirl2002 - Janis and Bernie

18. SmudgeCat

Who else wants to come along?????

I did received a reply to my email to Laura, but just one that said she is away and will be back on Tuesday, July 7. She'll probably have a lot of emails to go through, so we might have to wait for a reply, but I'll keep on top of it.

Careful! Sounds like you are already one of us!:D

I am working on it! Must convince Mike to do a cheapie state park type vacation next summer so we can save up and then beg my boss on Tuesday for the time off if she'll approve it this early on. :D

I am working on it! Must convince Mike to do a cheapie state park type vacation next summer so we can save up and then beg my boss on Tuesday for the time off if she'll approve it this early on. :D

Hello! You DO know people in one of the most beautiful states in the union! We happen to have 2 National Parks! Free room! That is cheap :)

Just an example, I learned pretty quickly that those beachwear sandals most of us call flip-flops are always called "slippahs" in Hawaii. Flip flop is something else entirely and has some racial connotations to it.

Maybe we should be the "Spirit Slippahs". The group tee shirts and banner can have flip flops on them....just an idea.

Linda-

I mentioned to him that if CC did a cruise it might reduce the deposit... I have my fingers crossed!! ;) I am pretty sure he'd agree at that point. :p

Have a fantastic night!

Yes, it would take a reduced deposit for me too since we're so far out. ;)

"Maybe we should be the "Spirit Slippahs". The group tee shirts and banner can have flip flops on them....just an idea."

I LOVE this idea, especially since t-shirts and flip flops are my idea of a perfect vacation!

By the way, I am Margie, Linda's cabinmate (LEtue and hmstins). Hi y'all!

Sandy, I added Margie to the list!

Who's interested:

1. Luckysll - Sandy

2. Flippr5657 - Andrea and Dave

3. Molly BPOE - Molly and Robert

4. Mohavemommy

5. Cruisingcouple2008 - Amy and Austin

6. PoofyTheCat

7. Anotherlurker

8. Smoofdaddy & Mama Linda

9. Danysmom - Cheryl

10. pzerba & jayzee

11. Pee-ah - Pia

12. Golfpccc - Dave and Carla

13. bjc5243

14. dogbert's Mom - Janice and Don

15. chickie4617

16. LEtue - Linda and hmstins - Margie

17. cruisergirl2002 - Janis and Bernie

18. SmudgeCat

Maybe we should be the "Spirit Slippahs". The group tee shirts and banner can have flip flops on them....just an idea.

I'm with Molly and Margie on this one! Especially the slippahs - very cute :D

OK Sandy, add Scott and I to the list but not going to let him in on this quite yet so shhhhhh;)

I agree that its going to be tough not doing winter cruise , especially when we live in Mn and so look forward getting the heck out of dodge when the weather is so darn cold but oh well.............

OMG, the Titanic anniversary again. We sailed from FLL on a TA to Barcelona (via Ireland, England, Belgium, Holland) and we sailed on April 15, 2007, which I believe was the 95th anniversary? Maybe the anniversary of the sailing or the sinking, I can't remember, but we had the worst weather all the way across the Atlantic that I have ever experienced on a cruise! And the odd coincidence was the first stop was in Cobh, which was the last port of call for the Titanic before it sunk.

Archived